• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP 17th century Dutch Frigate project

Yup Craiggo said the same thing. I am learning MAYA online but am not up to the task yet.

Will any modeller help me cut those stubs off this ship so we can get some quality masts on her. I'll throw in $200 USD to anyone that will. That's 200 bucks for probably a half hour of work.

Pretty Please...:bow

MK

The ship has roughly the same size as Kris´ 7P, so why not take her masts? Or is the conversion to .gm the problem?

The problem is the mast stubs on the main hull .GM. There is not another set of masts that match up with them.

Yeah I think we could hex a locator at the base of the mast, but you would still see those big fugly stubs around the lower portions of the masts. I just need someone with the ability to cut them off the hull model.

MK

So there's no takers on this. Man that sucks. Well, I guess I''l have to see if one of my professional contacts can help me or I will learn to do it myself.

Can any of you guys walk me through the steps to convert it from GM format into Maya?

MK

Does Armada read this thread? Once he's got his Build 14 Beta 2.3 content finished, I imagine he should be able to sort out those mast stumps quite quickly. Right?

Hi,

I would probably have a go at making some masts for this ship, I have a few books on masting and rigging so I have sufficient references to work from. I do have some questions first though.

What scale is the ship currently at?
What are the ships real life dimensions?

Regards,

Does Armada read this thread? Once he's got his Build 14 Beta 2.3 content finished, I imagine he should be able to sort out those mast stumps quite quickly. Right?
Yes, he reads this thread and almost every other thread.
I was unsure whether Bava was going to help after he posted, so kept quiet, as I already had work to do myself.
Cutting off the mast stumps would take no time at all, but I think it would be more beneficial for MK if I could show him how to do it himself.

MK: How much experience do you have in Maya? I have an unfinished tutorial covering getting a GM file into Maya and setting it up properly, but it doesn't cover manipulation techniques for deleting components and such, nor does it mention exporting back to GM format. It should be a useful starting point though. See these posts:

http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/storm-engine-moddeling-basics.14886/page-4#post-419006
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/storm-engine-moddeling-basics.14886/page-4#post-419501
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/storm-engine-moddeling-basics.14886/page-4#post-423961

Haven't had the time to try this yet, but I wanted to thank you for the tutorial. I would actually like to try this myself.

I have learned a lot of stuff in MAYA. I can make cars and buildings and of course the ice cream cone. I am starting to try more complex roundish shapes now. I am going to start building a circa 1660 Dutch yacht very soon. I already have my plans.

@SeaNorris, Thanks Mate!!! I will gladly accept your offer to do the masts and rigging. Your work is so beautiful that I know she will turn out gorgeous with you creating the masts. I will drop a few more things into dropbox and then share a link with you via PM so you can look at everything Craiggo and I have been working on and start working on it if you like. To answer your question, she looks to me like a typical Zeeland built two decker from around 1655 (post First Anglo-Dutch War) to about 1670.

MK

OK so I am not making good progress on this. I'm getting a little demoralized because my photoshop skills are really getting good now. I think people are going to be blown away when they see what I've done with the Pinnaces and this Frigate. I have actually managed to take some of the sterns from Van de Velde drawings and warp, distort and color them to work on the models. Probably a first! They look so good and so authentic. Not quite ready to show them off yet though. http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/sets/72157632134773565/ Now I need to have masts and shrouds that are worthy of the hull.

I did read the tutorials (nice job BTW:onya) but I'm having a problem with the camera. Whenever I have been doing my online tutorials - making my ice cream cones, simple space ships and playing with various objects, I haven't had to mess with the camera because I was just using the default scale. However, anytime I try to change anything with the camera, MAYA tries to send info to the internet and it crashes giving me a fatal error. Do I need to reinstall MAYA? Is there something I should be disabling?

Anyway, If I continue on without messing with the camera I can see everything and manipulate it, but the grid is annoyingly tiny now.

I am also very confused about this model because it shows the mast stubs very clearly in GM viewer, but the masts are gone in TOOL and in MAYA. How can I cut them off if they don't even appear to be there?

Here are some screens to illustrate what I've said. Please Help! MK

DutchFrigateGM.jpg

DutchFrigateTool.jpg

DutchFrigateMayaview.jpg

I am no help with Maya. I could never get it to work according to instructions and gave up.

One thing you should be aware of is that flagpole. Unless it is detached from the hull it will give the ship the high camera bug.

The camera issues sound very weird to me. I can't think what could cause the error messages, but at least you've got it working now.
It looks as though you can fix the small grid by going to 'Display', clicking the box next to 'Grid', and then increasing the 'Length and Width' value.

As for the masts not showing up... it seems I underestimated the number of polys this model has. Over 169,000?! That's quite a lot more than most of our highly detailed ships!
The problem here is that a GM file won't export to OBJ format intact unless it consists of less than 50,000 polygons. This can sometimes be fixed in TOOL, by using 'Edit Scene' to cut copies of the model into its individual components, and hope that each one is worth less than 50,000 polys.

However, what really concerns me is that the masts are not showing up in TOOL.
That's exactly the same file you showed in GM Viewer, right? If so, we may have a problem similar to the Soleil Royal model. :modding
I can't say that for certain unless you send me the model to take a look at. It would be easier for me to tell that way, rather than trying to describe what to do.

If that IS the case, then the only feasible solution might be to modify a texture to hide the mast stumps instead.
Even then, we rely on the UV mapping allowing that to be done without also hiding other parts of the ship.

Thanks for the attention Armada!!!:onya I really appreciate this! :bow

So I will PM you with the link for the files. If it isn't too much trouble, one other request I have is that the little super hero looking fairy figurehead be cut off and substituted with a Dutch lion. Like Pgargon has on the DutchPinnace and Frigate Berlin.

I will also PM SeaNorris with the link if he tells me he is still interested in building the new masts.

MK

I am still interested in doing the masts and yards, I will need a copy of the model to import into 3ds max and the beam of the vessel so I can write up a proportions table to work from.

Regards,

Thanks for the attention Armada!!!:onya I really appreciate this! :bow

So I will PM you with the link for the files. If it isn't too much trouble, one other request I have is that the little super hero looking fairy figurehead be cut off and substituted with a Dutch lion. Like Pgargon has on the DutchPinnace and Frigate Berlin.

I will also PM SeaNorris with the link if he tells me he is still interested in building the new masts.

MK
I'll do what I can, but don't hold your breath. The model sounds very problematic, so before we can even consider making physical changes, I need to be sure it can be imported into Maya or 3DS Max without any problems. If it does eventually work out fine, of course I can replace the figurehead.

Thank you so much gentlemen. The PM has been sent with link.

I will look up a good beam for the ship using surviving draughts tomorrow. They will be in Dutch "voet" so I will need to convert that to feet and meters.

I fully understand possible limitations Armada. Thank you for the consideration. :bounce

MK

Hi,

I have not had much time to work on the masts at the moment but I will continue with them soon, I did notice I made a mistake with the trestletree dimensions of the upper masts and so I have to re-calculate them again which shouldn't take long.

Regards,

Thank you for your continued work. I guess there is no hurry. I am not releasing GOF Eras until I have Zeven Provincien and this Frigate finished. No word from Kris, so I have no idea when I will release my mega mod from hell. MK

Well I obviously changed my mind on this and am releasing GOF Eras without 7P. I don't know how far SeaNorris has come with the masts. Craiggo made his best attempt to get other masts to fit. He did manage to get three sails per mast on the model.

I have two versions of the ship in GOF Eras - Dutch Frigate and Holland frigate. The skins for Dutch Frigate are pictured here and are complete. I was hoping to get more creative with this ship, but the texture map is one of the most convoluted I've ever seen. I think she still turned out nice. Dutch Frigate will only be found in encounters with Holland or the odd Gentlemen of Luck fleet.

The Holland frigate has slightly lower stats, has the original two sails per mast configuration and is a slight bit more generic. She will also occasionally be encountered in French fleets as she is sold in export. Skins are nearly complete. The idea of making two models was to allow more variety with six skins total.

My favorite is the red one with the white horse in imitation of the Dutch Frigate Witte Paard. She is a rare example of divergence from the traditional Dutch green coloring. I REALLY like how she turned out.

I hope SeaNorris does eventually make masts for her because she is really pretty. Here's the screens. MK

start_130329_1057286.JPG
start_130329_1057353.JPGstart_130329_1629434.JPGstart_130329_2324024.JPGstart_130329_2326144.JPGstart_130329_2327306.JPGstart_130329_2328183.JPGstart_130329_2328276.JPGstart_130330_0205096.JPGstart_130330_0206059.JPG

Back