• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

17th Century ships mast configurations

17th Century ships in Age of Pirates 2: City of abandoned ships

As you have probably guessed I'm new to the Forum and have only had a short time to snoop around, I was wondering if you've addressed the sails for the ships on this fabulous game or not.

What i mean is that when you play the game and your sailing on full canvas, it's never really full canvas.

When a ship sailed across the Atlantic ocean and beyond in the 17th century they always had sails that were added to the masts to hasten their speed and cross a lot quicker mainly due to our lot, be that we pirates n all :onya

What I mean is this, here's a few pics of sails that obviously have full canvas.

This is what we have on the game so far, basic canvas of sails.
hms_leander.jpg

And this is called full canvas, this is what i want to see in game.
f5jdxe55lq3u5k55y14jvszc22092004171723.JPG

Notice the sails added to the sides of the main masts, is it possible to add these in to the game as full canvas or will it be something the game will never be allowed to have?

This could become a ship modeling issue, but I'll move it to the brainstorming section since I think it is an interesting discussion and I think a lot of guys here will have an opinion.

For pirate ships this would be fine i think because pirates was known for adding more silas and masts if they could, but for all ships in the game or even 90% of them. I would have to say no because those sails are for ships sailing across the occean their are no references to ships other than the pirate ships that i can find of ships using full sails for day to day life in the carabbean. So it would look wrong and out of place, and been more for historical feel i don't want to start adding things that just wasn't their because it becomes more of a fantasy game than anything. Sorry and hope you can see it from my point of view, obviously i do not have the final say on what is and is not added to the mod pack, i am just saying i don't like the idea of it. Because in general use of the ship those sails was only added when sailing across the occean and thats it. So historically it wouldn't look right and i think we would have more people saying the ships look wrong rather than people liking them.

You could try adding the side sails; however, I don't see any easy way of preventing them being used when the wind is not coming from astern.

What you're referring to are "Studsails".

Studsails did not exist on 17th century ships. Indeed they were not invented until the end of the 18th century and not widely used until the early to mid 19th century.

Studsails were only used in a following wind or an extremely light wind in the hopes of scavenging any wind power available. They would have rarely or never been used in a fight (unless you were trying to get away from one). Example: The famous 1812 getaway of Captain Hull when the Constitution suddenly found herself pursued by an entire British squdron in a calm. All ships involved set all sails and studsails. Hull ended up getting away by kedging (running his anchors out forward with the ships boats, dropping them and then hawling "kedging" her forward). http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/events/war1812/atsea/const-es.htm

For more on Studsails see: http://www.answers.com/topic/studding-sail

Note the pictorial examples on the site are all from the 19th century (1850s-1870s) well after our historical era in COAS. Also the pictures you gave as examples above are obviously from the Napoleonic era (Late 18th century/but more probably early 19th century).

MK

I'm new and was snooping around, I also feel that this should be addressed, not as much for the smaller faster ships, but ships like 1st rates. their speed is one thing that could use a boost and so I was wondering if anyone is actually looking into this. I would like to thank the topic owner for bringing this up, seeing as it would be a great addition to the game

I'm no modder or 3d guru, and this might seem stupid to all of you.

But wouldn't extending the masts thingies then adding the sails on the sides work???

I know stupid thing to say, but if it. works then why not. also i have a second idea.

can it be a third setting in the sail controls. say pressing it a third time to have them come down?

Before you read this, I would like to say that I would enjoy having stuns'ls (studdingsails) ingame, but I feel that they can't be properly implemented into the game.
The author of the post would do well by researching the topic of the post before using absolutes such as "always," especially when the word "Never" is slightly closer to the truth. "Full canvas" is a slightly landsmanlike term, and the closest propper alternative, "all regular sail" does not include stuns'ls. (they are not, in fact, counte as regular sail)

What I think you are talking about are the stun'sl booms. I think Modernknight's explanation sums it up pretty perfectly (altough studdingsails was misspelled) . Stuns'ls would only have been used on a few of the vessels ingame. I am fairly certain that the stuns'l booms cannot be run in and out due to the game's limitations. Since keeping them run out all the time would look damnably silly and would be completely inaccurate*, I'm afraid that stuns'ls aren't a very good idea. (You should also note that most stuns'ls could only be set in very light breezes. Set them in too severe of a breeze, and you risk carrying them away, or, even worse, damaging your more important spars.)

*they were housed on top of their corresponding yards when not in use. Also, the game would not allow enough control over the stunsl's that should be set. For example, in the below painting, if the port main stunsl's were set, they would block the flow of air to the more important tops'l and t'gallant on the foremast, negating any extra thrust they would provide, and possibly even slowing the vessel down. The mains'l is in its gear (not set or furled) for that same reason.
z_hunt_flyingkites.jpg

(also also note that the ships used as examples in the first post were all built in the very late 18th century, or very early 19th century, not the 17th century, before stuns'ls existed.)

Edit:
Notice the sails added to the sides of the main masts, is it possible to add these in to the game as full canvas or will it be something the game will never be allowed to have?

If you were referring to the vessel on the far left, that is a schooner, (the fictional Ringle) with the only irregular sails set being a running course on the foremast, along with a port foretopstuns'l.

just move starting game year to 18xx xD anyway there is a way to get ships with those sails into coas =O
ik where to get em and yes they are .gm files with required textures and script stats >.>
but......yea there is but also our job would be only to improve cannons on em

Back