• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP 18 gun Naval Brig, 1797

that would effectively make her a 16 gun brig in terms of broadside firepower, so I think I'll just remove the foremost guns after all, and leave the rest as is. I mean chasers would be nice, and I do prefer ships that have them, but when I think about it they rarely do any signifigant damage

By precedent, you could keep the extra two guns as broadside guns; Speedy has guns like that also at an angle, if memory serves.

If you wanted to do something really odd (it might work), you could keep them in the historic position/angle, and have a broadside gun and chaser programmed in to the one spot. Realistically, it would have been used as both, and the only time that would look incredibly silly is when both the broadside and bow chasers fired at the same time.

Very nicely done... The only thing I could find was that the tops on a vessel like that should be painted a solid color on the entirety of the assembly. (usually the same color as the lower masts if they were white or black, or black if the lower masts were any other color.)

I like the figurehead. It's just about the right size for the brig.

Edit: I think you also might have missed the futtock shrouds under both topgallant crosstrees. (That shouldn't be too hard to fix; I don't think you'll need to modify any of your existing rigging.)

Thanks! it seems like you are right about the fighting tops, all the ones I can find on models are painted black. I'l see what I can do about the futtock shrouds

Eeeeeeyep.

Edit: Some major nitpicking, but it will result in a miniscule reduction in the poly count:
The t'gallantmast futtock shrouds on a vessel of that size wouldn't have had ratlines on them. The conventional way to get past them was to just go through the lubber's hole. One could also lay out around the crostrees without the use of ratlines, (the futtock shrouds there are short enough to allow this) which is my preferred method.

no biggie, ill remove those ratlines:onya haha I kind of wondered what their point was considering they dont really lead anywhere:rolleyes:

I think the primary use for unnecessary ratlines that block lubber's holes is to terrify new climbers- they don't seem to like going around futtock shrouds very much. It could have something to do with the upside-down backwards climbing thing.

haha yeah, it might have something to do with that:D and because there is no platform there, so even if you did climb up the ratlines you'd have to shimmey along one of the crosstrees to get to the mast.

There's always some convenient stay to grab on a square rigger. Believe it or not, the fighting tops can actually be harder to negotiate at sea once you're used to both pieces of rigging.

have three new color schemes in addition to the one in the earlier screens (which I think will be used mainly for britain but hopefully will be encounterable for other nations too.)
France/Spain
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64339105@N08/7213464040/in/photostream
US
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64339105@N08/7213463958/in/photostream
Holland, Portugal, and Pirate (maybe encounterable for other countries in addition to the other schemes, pretty generic)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64339105@N08/7213463808/in/photostream

so while I was trying to export all the parts to gm format, I ran into a little problem with the bowsprit. when I het the export button everything is in its proper place as it should be, but after the export is completed the bowsprit seems to jump its entire length forward and up, and this carries over to the gm file.
jump.JPG
I cannot find anything wrong in hypershade, hypergraph, relationship editor, or attribute editor. the only difference I can find (and I have no clue how to change it) is that the coordinates are highlited in yellow or orange in attribute editor. all the other masts and yards appear to be fine. I haven't tried the hull yet.

has anyone seen anything like the problem with the bowsprit before? Its holding this ship back from getting ingame

Just wondering, what's the status of this ship now? I seem to recall fixing the bowsprit problem a while ago. :read

i have the locators for all sails and ropes on the foremast and bowsprit done, along with all the gun locators. I meant to have her ingame before I left for college, but then my computer died for a bit. I'll see if I can make some more progress over this thanksgiving break (the 22nd-25th) and maybe get something uploaded.:keith

I have a render planned that will be perfect for this ship, if you're willing to upload the British version- I would be very grateful for the maya file.

Ok, will do as soon as I can. I only have the files for this ship on my desktop, but you're in luck as I'm heading home for break tomorrow! I should at least be able to get them to you by the end of the weekend, and maybe get her into the storm engine during the week.

Back