• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

3D artist

Boosh

Landlubber
Hey all. Been a big fan of these games in the past and am quite excited to see this going ahead so I'd love to help out.

My main strengths are 3D modelling with either Maya or 3Ds max and I've started to pick up a bit of scuplting in z-brush as well for baking those fine details down. I do use Photoshop for textures as well but its not a such a big strength of mine.
Here's my portfolio: http://stefanheibel.carbonmade.com/

I'm afraid I will not have so much free time until the new year because of some projects I'm working on and possible jobs coming up, etc, however I'll still try to model anything you guys want. :)

Ahoy Boosh, welcome aboard mate!

As Hylie says, we will need to build a whole new world, and it will take all kinds of models to bring it to life. Are you interested in working on anything in particular? Such as buildings, weapons, or people and animals?

By the way, don't worry to much about when you start, this is a long term project, so you should have all the time you need to really complete anything that your interested in working on.

Righto, well I'll be happy working on buildings and also weapons then. I saw in some of the other threads that they needed people to get some buildings done so I would be happy to have a go at them when I get the time. Is there a certain thread I should keep an eye on apart from the one posted by Hyile in regards to which models need doing or references etc?

I think that everyone's waiting on the engine considerations. Until the coders sign off on UDK as the engine-of-choice we're kind of stuck in limbo. If you'd like to focus on architecture, start to study buildings of the time period you're interested in. Do some sketches. There's no hurry.

-B

Buildings would be awesome mate, I have added you as a 3D artist. As Pieter says, I think they would be usable no matter what engine we used. I am not sure what format would be best though. :shrug

I don't think resolution is a problem either, we can always downgrade the resolution if we need to I think.

I found this on Google Books the other day, and I thought since your wanting to work on buildings it might come in handy.

Architectural Heritage of the Caribbean: An A-Z of History Buildings

Thanks guys. I'll study up on the buildings that were around back then. Maybe get some draft models up in the next few weeks.

hey guys, sorry to post here again. i don't seem to have access to the WIP forum or production section (its all listed as private). If I'm supposed to? lol.
Anyway just want to show a pic of what I've been working on. I've modelled it from the painting thats on the moddb website, sorry i can't remember who's it was, so credit where its due lol. I'll make more when I do more research into the buildings. Its been slow progress because I made rough models in 3ds max then realised I can use the csgs in udk lol! So I made them again in there. I made some materials and textures too. Its draft work and its all WIP but I hope its getting somewhere.
Testshot_zpsadf6709e.png

Can you access those forums now? I've just made a slight change to your profile which should help.

That's a nice scene you've made! I can see the resemblance to the concept art quite clearly. :onya
Bear in mind that there may be inaccuracies in the drawing, though I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can advise you on that.

I made the scene up for a quick project, and I didn't have time to do any kind of research. If you want to keep going despite that, the people are probably too small. (It might be good to start with to show the public some progress.) We could make the entire scene by dropping in some ships that we already have modeled. We already have non-upgraded versions of most of the vessels I put in the painting. They probably don't need to be imported using a set method until we make some progress with the actual ship mechanics.

Ah yes I can access it now, thanks! Yes I understand that the original scene might not be accurate and I do still need to do more of my own research, on the other hand I'm setting things out and getting a feel for how I need to create buildings. If we end up not using them that's fine really, because they are just drafts atm as I'm try and find the right scale and work methodology.

Back