• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

3D Modeler and Creative mind looking to help.

Daragoth

HoO Team Member
Provisional
Hi there,
I am have been following Hearts of Oak for sometime now. I found the game on ModDB by accident while looking through another forum related to one of them Pirates of the Caribbean games. I have been following the game on ModDB since then (about 3 to 4+ months now). I have been working on a ship model myself for my own game. My game is more on the RPG landlubber side and not so much the sea faring, sea wars side. Meaning that it should not be colliding with this game because of a conflict of interest.

Though my game still is being flushed out and worked on as a Prototype, I would be happy to help with ship modeling and such when I am needed. I am currently working on a very important "Ship of the Line" model. The ship itself is one of the more famous and beastly ship of its time, plus it is still in existence too. I am still modeling the vertical ship hull supports, but I will keep on moving with it's production.

I am also very creating when it comes to story, I personally prefer games that have a story, or some story. Because without story, we would not know what we are fighting for. This being the case, I would be happy to (hypothetically) lend out my brain to help with quests, story and so on.

Please let me know if the team is in need of more members with the qualifications I listed above.

Thanks and I hope to become a grand captain (team member) soon.

-Daragoth

Is that a Spidermew?????:love:love:love You're in *just* because you showed me a picture of a large amount of my childhood. Only way that could be more perfect is if it had a batman logo where the spider is and was wearing Georgia Boots lol; Just for that extra touch. xD

I'm Lead Writer/Writing Coordinator (whichever you prefer). The game's first story (The one that will be in the game on launch day (We plan to add more later)) Has just had it's base concept finalized and is just one or two days from being announced with a few teaser things. Actual work should begin this week with quests, dialog,and putting the meat on the Framework. I Know I could use you there, and I feel more than certain your 3D skills can be used by that department.

When you first join up you'll be given a Provisional Member banner with slightly limited access to the games development. You say which Department(s) you wanna work with, as you have just done, get in contact with the coordinator of that department and he'll give you a test assignment or two. Prove yourself and you'll be made a full member of the dev team.

For Example: If you want to be a writer PM me and I'll give you my test(s). If I think you put in the effort and did well enough you'll be given access to do everything normal members can. (And if your a writer you also get access to the Writing sub forum which is hidden from everyone who's not a writer or coordinator.)

Armada should be on sometime tomorrow to tell you (and me:razz) everything I just said wrong and give you the Provisional title.

After that get in contact with Me for writing, or Post Captain for the modelling (He should make his way to this thread before too much longer anyway.):monkeydance

Welcome aboard mate! :D

I would not mind (personally) helping in both departments. I like helping where I can, with what I can do.
Plus, if I run out of ideas (or steam/wind), I can then jump to the other department and help there until I regain my ideas.

Would that be acceptable if I was part of both departments? Both 3D modeling and Story writing?

After that get in contact with Me for writing, or Post Captain for the modelling (He should make his way to this thread before too much longer anyway.):monkeydance

Is it before too much longer yet? :cheeky

I would not mind (personally) helping in both departments. I like helping where I can, with what I can do.
Plus, if I run out of ideas (or steam/wind), I can then jump to the other department and help there until I regain my ideas.

Would that be acceptable if I was part of both departments? Both 3D modeling and Story writing?

Yes, but you'll have to pass through provisional rank for both of them in that case. We could use help modeling ships. Let me see a sample of your work and then I'll give you something to do if you want it. I hope you don't mind modeling large merchantmen, because we have far too many warships right now.

Is it before too much longer yet? :cheeky

Yes, but you'll have to pass through provisional rank for both of them in that case. We could use help modeling ships. Let me see a sample of your work and then I'll give you something to do if you want it. I hope you don't mind modeling large merchantmen, because we have far too many warships right now.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I am still working on the vertical interior support columns. So there is not a lot to see yet. I use mainly Maya 2013 for modeling my ships. If that is ok.

As for the merchantmen, that should be fine. Will I be modeling by eye? Or by Schematic?

I will post some images in my next post. Just woke up a bit ago, so I am just now booting up Maya. Derp

Ok, so here is what I have so far of the ship I am working on. Again, not much to see yet. Though she will be a beauty when she is completed.

2014-02-02_1135.png

Ahoy there! I'm joint coordinator for ship modeling with Post Captain. Good choice of program! Maya 2013 is by far the most commonly used program by our modelers. Looks like you have a nice amount of detail on the curvature. However, you do realize that those are frames meant fro a model kit, and don't represent the interior of the real ship at all? ( though the outside hull curvature should be essentially the same. )
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27417638@N07/4369158324/

Each person models differently. I am modeling this way so that I can have a better visual of what needs to go where. Plus it gives me a foundation to build from. Once I get these supports modeled, I plan to then model from there (meaning modeling the outside and inside based off of the supports).

Some people say it is pointless, others might say it works out just fine. So as long as I can get the same end result, I don't think it matters how I get there. Don't you agree? :p

Fair enough, whatever works for you in your game! just thought I'd let you know in case you were unaware :)

Fair enough, whatever works for you in your game! just thought I'd let you know in case you were unaware :)
Nah, after looking through several images of models (non-3D) that people of built, I figured it out. Good to do ones research.

Modeling it this way helps me figure out the location of what goes where. Plus it might look better in the end too. I plan on giving the model a interior too. So these will help it look more realistic as well.
Whether or not the team decides to use the ships interior will be up to the team really.

As for the test, what would you like me to model? Is there going to be a time frame? I have college classes on Mondays and Wednesdays. Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays I work. Though I can try and get a day or two off of to model the ships you need me to. Otherwise Weekends are the best time for me to work.

Let me know.

You'll be working from a set of line drawings. I'll post a link to the drawings and a link to a good tutorial we produced in a few hours when I get back on my computer. I think we can skip the sample model- I'll have you promoted once you've gotten to a suitable point in the modeling process.

And If you still want to do the writing you can Private Message me. :D Either way welcome to the crew!

Hi Daragoth, welcome to the team! :ahoy
I should mention that we already have someone working on a model of the Victory (and that all of our ships will need full interiors, minus decks below the waterline).
However, there would be nothing wrong with working on her anyway to gain experience.

Looks like I'm going to have to delay posting the ship plans. We're deciding what to use for the initial ship in the storyline, so I think I'll have you do that. It should be a nicer project to work on than the merchantman.

Hi Daragoth, welcome to the team! :ahoy
I should mention that we already have someone working on a model of the Victory (and that all of our ships will need full interiors, minus decks below the waterline).
However, there would be nothing wrong with working on her anyway to gain experience.

Looks like I'm going to have to delay posting the ship plans. We're deciding what to use for the initial ship in the storyline, so I think I'll have you do that. It should be a nicer project to work on than the merchantman.

I am rather confused about these last two posts. What am I supposed to do? Keep modeling the Victory for game usage? Or model the merchantman?

Thanks

I am rather confused about these last two posts. What am I supposed to do? Keep modeling the Victory for game usage? Or model the merchantman?

Thanks

Let me translate... Ahem... * Cough Cough*

Armada said: " Welcome.... we already have a model of the victory, but if you wanna keep workin' on it for practice you can."

and

Post Captain said: "I was gonna give you something to do... but plans JUST changed and now I think I have something better for you to model. I'll tell you which ship to model, soon as we finish discussing exactly what ship we want to be used for our purpose."

(Which has just been decided so He'll prolly let you know in the mornin' mate)

What Luke said. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

All that proper English aint the same language sometimes Armada, you aughtta know that xD

Back