• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

3D Pirate Ship Modelling and Animation

Abathur

Landlubber
I just want to start this off by saying, no I do not have any experience in Game Design or Coding. Just wanted to throw it out there.
I have created numerous pirate ships, each taking 40+ hours so a lot of work goes into the beautiful wooden behemoths and they definitely won't be lacking detail. I am currently working on a small few minutes long animation featuring multiple pirate ships and merchant ships battling it out on the Seven Seas. I simply can't and at least as of now will not be able to model pirate crews/animals, I have tried in the past and I have to say, what has been seen, cannot be unseen. If this is still in development I look forward to working on it. Even if I am a little late.
-Abathur

Ahoy Abathur, welcome aboard mate!

We are very much still in active development, and certainly will need many ship assets! @Captain Armstrong should be along shortly, in the meantime, do you have any screen shots or video of your work that you can post? Also, a list of 3D or Animation programs that you have experience with would be helpful.

Ahoy there! Indeed ship modeling is always welcome.
That is quite a tough thing to do well. I'll be quite interested to see some of your work.

Ahoy there! I'm the shipbuilding coordinator for Hearts of Oak. I'd be very interested to see what some of your past work looks like! We build vessels to plans from the era of the seven years war (1750s-60s) to a high level of detail and historical accuracy for the game.

As much as I would like to provide you with examples as of the time of writing this I am not able to, I have experience with programs like Blender 2.74 (https://www.blender.org/). I can guarantee some impressive quality models but I do however work quite slowly. I am completely self taught, no videos and I have previously only done 3D Modelling as a hobby. I will be able to meet the historical requirements however it will take more time and I may need some ideas provided as I seem to not pick up on concepts. I'll try to squeeze out another ship as an example, I look forward to working with every here :)
-Abathur

EDIT : I will most likely not be able to make interiors, I can of course try, but they may not be to your standards :p

Last edited:
Many of here are self-taught or informally taught, though we do have a number of professionals as well. :yesHistorical accuracy is required, so it's fine if it takes longer. Unfortunately without being able to see any of your past work the most I could assign you to start is a period appropriate ship's longboat-so if you can come up with images of your past work that could be quite helpful

Back