• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

3D Ship Modeller

Simon Richardson

HoO Team Member
3D Artist
Provisional
Hi my name is Simon and I am offering my help as a 3d ship modeller.
I have used Lightwave for a long time but seing as a lot of games are using Max for importing models I decided to go over to the other side and start learning Max.
I am stating to build a model of the Pandora (ship sent to capture the mutineers on the Bounty) as I have quite a bit of info on it but if you are looking to put a certain ship in the game as soon as you can let me know and I will go for that instead as I would like a challenge.
I built models of ships before which have gone into games which you can see here http://imgur.com/a/Hfxc6 all models except the Waverley were used in the game Ship Simulator and were player controlled except the Clyde Puffer which was just used as a static model.
It would be great to be part of this team as this game looks like it will be quite interesting and the fact it will be free is also good.
I do have a job where I am away from home for 3 weeks every 6 but I do take my laptop so can carry on modelling when I get time.
Anyway let me know what you think.

THE @Simon Richardson?
I remember that Waverley model from my old Virtual Sailor days! :woot

Here's a photo of the Waverley in Swanage Bay, where I used to go on holiday just about every year:
Waverley Swanage.jpg

And here's my favourite ship in the world in the same spot:
Stad Amsterdam Swanage Bay.JPG

Getting carried away here, I know, but this brings back memories. :cheeky

Anyway, a very hearty welcome to our forum! I'm very excited to see the progress on your Pandora. :cheers

LOL Yeah VS was a good programme at the time and was easy to add your own vessels to still look at it now and then.
I've started working out of Greenock now and when i went there for the first time a few weeks ago lo and behold the Waverley was there so managed to get a few photos.
aJwefRj.jpg
There is another ship simulator game out there just started called European Ship Simulator and hopefully we can add our own vessels to it cause i would love to re-model the Waverley with more detail and walk around the model as well cause one of these days i'm gonn go on a trip on it and just wander around taken loads of photos especially of the interior.
Anyway thanks for the comment i have only just started the Pandora so nothing to show yet but i will get a post going sometime with updates.
Cheers.

Welcome mr. Richardson,
Just wondering @Pieter Boelen, don't we have Pandora already? o_O As in Wedori's Sphynx, if I remember well, the difference being couple of guns, and then Wedori used Pandora's book for at least detailing... Would be a great shame if they were too similar to be used for HoO :cool. Though that is very gracious and well documented ship, perfect material.

Just wondering @Pieter Boelen, don't we have Pandora already? o_O As in Wedori's Sphynx, if I remember well, the difference being couple of guns, and then Wedori used Pandora's book for at least detailing...
You're asking ME? I have no clue. Searching for "pandora sphinx ship" on Google only gives me useless bugs.
@Armada, @Captain Armstrong or @Wedori themselves might have a better idea. :shrug

Hi Ashinokami and thanks.
I have only just started to do the Pandora so its not a problem for me to stop and do something else.
Has anyone started doing the Victory as I have plenty of info on that or could you sugest a ship for me to start on.
I know there are other objects that you will need to have done but I would like to build a ship while learning Max at the same time.
Is there a post which shows what ships, models etc people are working on?
Thanks.

I'm not an expert, but we have material for 1765 French 32 gun frigate La Belle Poule, might be an equivalent trade, and our 1st period... The shipwrights would know better of course, and should reply soon :)

Hi Simon, welcome! We'd be glad to have another ship modeller among the ranks.

Has anyone started doing the Victory as I have plenty of info on that or could you sugest a ship for me to start on.
@Wedori was trying to model the Victory at one point, but I'm not sure if he's come back to it since.

Is there a post which shows what ships, models etc people are working on?
We do have such a post in the Assets Needed forum, which you can access once you're on the team.
I'll let our ship modelling coordinator, @Captain Armstrong, reply here before giving you access.

@Simon Richardson
Hi and welcome! Great to have another experienced modeler around here :)

@Ashinokami
The Belle Poule is allready in progress. @Bava has started modelling her before he continued on the Panthère. I think he decided to stop continuing on her because she was a not really in service during the 7YW period but during the american revolution.

@Armada
Yes, @Wedori is going to start with Balchen's Victory (1737), after he finished the cannon research and the HMS Sphinx.

Welcome aboard Simon! You look to have plenty of experience building detailed ship models, even if they are a bit more modern designs than what we are accustomed to here-we'd be happy to have your help! :)

About the Sphynx and Pandora: The Sphynx(20), Pandora(24), and Enterprize(28) all had the same hull form, and their classes were built in large numbers, being the standard Royal Navy 6th rates for the American revolution era. So while certainly quite similar, the design was scaled up for the additional guns-a fairly common practice in the Royal Navy that was perhaps more extreme during the seven years war, with the hull form of the Royal Caroline of 1749 being used for everything from snows to 74 gun 3rd rates. However, the initial time period we are going for is the seven years war(1754-1763) so an earlier design than the pandora would be preferable. I made an exception for the sphynx because the model was begun well before the game was thought up, and is quite a good one to boot. So if you're willing to build something from the seven years war era, I'd be happy to provide you with plans and references, there's plenty of ships itching to be built :napoleon

When you have the right permissions, you should be able to see this list of approved designs to give you an idea of what we are going for,
http://piratesahoy.net/threads/ships-seven-years-war-era.21508/
And I'll mention a few of most immediate importance for you to consider
:keith

Last edited:
I explain short whats up with me.

Long story short: I do much in the background. More detail in the right thread ;)

Sphinx is on delay. First I finish another theme. I take the time I need and cant say when any next progress can be shown. On guns side soon when Oli have finished his real great crests.

After the Sphinx, thats right, I start together with Oli the long term project "Victory of 1737". He becomes a better and better sculptor, an talent I didnt have.

Back