• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fix in Progress [4.1] San Juan rowboat is a small ship flying a pirate flag

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
I was testing to make sure the ship desciption for the new swedish east indiaman works in game, and I ran across a bug:

the little rowboat you normally have in port, where your crewmen sits to wait to take you back to your ship, in the San Juan port becomes a small ship, seemingly about the size of a sloop, that flies a red pirate flag.

Retested with a currently implemented starting ship to make sure (and to produce a save that could be loaded by others). Sure enough, still a small ship, not a row boat.

Seems to be just the San Juan port. See attached save.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Puerto Rico. San Juan port.rar
    509.5 KB · Views: 178
Screenshot?

San Juan is a town with "jetty ships", so it could just be a random NPC ship.
Though I don't think pirate ones should be showing up there....

One pirate ship is certainly there. How Claire Larrousse got into port under a pirate flag, I have no idea! :pirateraft

One pirate ship is certainly there.
Right you are!

How Claire Larrousse got into port under a pirate flag, I have no idea! :pirateraft
There is some code to deliberately put her there. Can't remember when that was added, but I do remember keeping it functional.
I presume the reason is to indicate that there's a sidequest available or something like that.

It does seem VERY likely that @Tingyun is indeed referring to Claire's ship.
That makes this "Not a Bug" as it is there on purpose. :yes

That sounds likely, I had thought it weird because there was no personal rowboat, and the pirate ship appears exactly where the rowboat would be (and the player faces it to get the icon "return to ship" that the rowboat usually provides).

Probably just that the rowboat need to be deleted to make space or something, which makes sense and makes it not a bug. :)

Probably just that the rowboat need to be deleted to make space or something, which makes sense and makes it not a bug. :)
Isn't the rowboat somewhere else in the port? I don't think it was ever removed.

I looked for it but didn't see it, and the pirate ship is right on top of its normal place (and has the icon to return to ship that the rowboat provides).

I could have missed it though. Can't check right now, but I can make a note to do a thorough search when next I play, sometime in a couple of days.

I looked for it but didn't see it, and the pirate ship is right on top of its normal place (and has the icon to return to ship that the rowboat provides).
Maybe the "boat" and "ship" locators overlap then and you just don't notice.
But silly, but ultimately harmless.

Meaning the pirate ship is on top of the boat and hides it? Yes, basically the player doesn't see a rowboat but has a means of returning to his ship.

It seems ok to me as well, though there is plenty of space on the other seperate part of the dock to move the pirate ship, which would avoid players looking about for their rowboat. Took me awhile to figure out I should use the pirate ship to return to my ship. ;)

Honestly the thing that shocked me the most was the small ship flying a pirate flag, as @Grey Roger stated, it seems very jarring to see that blood red pirate flag flapping about the port. But maybe that part is unavoidable.

Honestly the thing that shocked me the most was the small ship flying a pirate flag, as @Grey Roger stated, it seems very jarring to see that blood red pirate flag flapping about the port. But maybe that part is unavoidable.
Easily avoidable, actually. Since there is code to deliberately place that ship there, removing that code removes also the ship.
Alternatively, Claire's nationality can be set to SPAIN instead of PIRATE.
All depends on what you guys want. :shrug

Meaning the pirate ship is on top of the boat and hides it? Yes, basically the player doesn't see a rowboat but has a means of returning to his ship.

It seems ok to me as well, though there is plenty of space on the other seperate part of the dock to move the pirate ship, which would avoid players looking about for their rowboat. Took me awhile to figure out I should use the pirate ship to return to my ship. ;)
Easier to move the "boat" locator to the end of the dock, instead of on the side of the dock.

As long as the ship would be turned 90 degrees then, lest it pierce right through my parked ship (it seems the player ship parks rather close).

I think moving the ship on the dock and changing the nationality to Spain, if it otherwise wouldn't interfere with things to have the nationality changed, would make sense.

As long as the ship would be turned 90 degrees then, lest it pierce right through my parked ship (it seems the player ship parks rather close).
I mean moving the PLAYER BOAT to the end of the dock. That is only a tiny rowboat and it doesn't need to be moored on the long end of the dock.

I think moving the ship on the dock and changing the nationality to Spain, if it otherwise wouldn't interfere with things to have the nationality changed, would make sense.
Doesn't interfere with anything, no. Except that Claire is a pirate.

Then I think that is what we should do, move the rowboat, change her nationality. She will appear as a pirate using a false flag, which makes perfect sense. :)

She will appear as a pirate using a false flag, which makes perfect sense. :)
Big question then: Does she still stand out as "special" then to indicate her presence? If not, then she might as well not show up in port at all.
Maybe we can give her one of the personal flags instead?

Honestly having any ship actually docked rather than floating in the harbor stands out plenty, and indicates something special is going on.

And her ship has a sleek piratey look to it. Attention is drawn without the flag.

Besides, you don't need to look for the ship. Talking to any of the citizens might get you a rumour about Claire being in town, or you might notice the piratey-looking lady sitting in San Juan tavern. :wp

In other words: Simplest "fix" is to not have her ship show in port at all. ;)

I really like her ship being there. It may not be needed to indicate the quest, but in terms of adding character to the town, and making the world feel alive, small touches like that can do wonders. Having the player feel like the rest of the world responds to things like who is in the tavern, adds enormous atmosphere.

I can easily change her nationality; either to SPAIN or to PERSONAL_NATION with a custom flag (if so, which one?).

Moving the "boat" locator to the end of the pier though is something I prefer to leave to somebody else.
I wonder if maybe @Jack Rackham would be willing to do that?

Back