• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A little help with Maya 5?

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
Hi everyone, I've posted this to ask for some advice on using Maya 5. :hmm
I decided recently that, after my work on Surprise and Poseidon, I'd like to have a go at some renovation work on some of our less detailed models, and so far I've figured a few things out.
However, I'd still like to know the following:
  • How to export correctly to GM format (yes I do have the plugins)
  • How to remove the reverse lighting bug
  • Some advice on UV texture mapping and materials
If this turns out well, any useful advice here can be kept for future reference.

Also, there seems to be a new theory regarding the XX locator for spanker sails, which when set to -1 will make it behave realistically with the wind.
(By correctly, I mean act like the Lugger and Indiaman's spanker sails, which turn to face the wind like they should)
However, changing this number inverts the spanker model (turns it inside-out) and causes reverse lighting.
So basically, is there a way of purposely introducing reverse lighting and inverting the model, so that this locator change counters it in-game?
I know that sounds confusing, but I can illustrate it better if need be. :wacko:

Thank you for asking these questions. :bow I really didn't know who to ask that isn't already working on other projects.

Introducing reverse lighting: try exporting a GM file to VRML, then re-importing again with the TOOL.

in maya open up materia options ,under render stats tab uncheck "double sided" and "opposite"options

for uv maping tutors just try google there's toons of this stuff there,and for exporting from maya im sure there was a tutor from Inzane somewhere on the forums

OK thanks for that guys! I'll post if I run into any more difficulties. :cheers

There seems to be a problem with exporting, for me.
Whenever I try to export any file to GM format, it just produces text document "error", which says "can't load export.dll".
Now that I think about it, I remember there being some sort of error message when installing the plugins, regarding a .dll file.
And I have followed all the procedures given on the forum to ensure the export should work correctly... :modding
Any thoughts about how I should fix this? :?

This will make swear... I think you should ask someone, i am without internet on the pc, uploading on the ftp the .dll or the full plugin folder, then you'll watch what difference there is from that and the yours...

In that case, could someone please upload the .dll file I need?
There's a chance the one I got was faulty due to a bad download or something. :modding

Hi,

Here ya go.
View attachment export.rar

But when you only get an error file it's probably coz you haven't parented the mesh to the correct locator....Character = Geometry....Ship = Waterline....Location = root

damski.

Thanks for that, Damski!
Funny thing is, I don't think the file was corrupted; it turns out the plug-ins didn't extract to the folder correctly.
I think that's because I installed Maya 5 in Program Files, and Windows' overly paranoid security messed up the extraction from the original .rar folder. :modding
I found my way around it, and I've just successfully exported an example model. :onya

Hey, thread hasn't closed, and I don't feel like poluting for just a little question, so I'll ask it here, is it possible to import vrml files into maya directly? if so, how?
Thanks in advance

Edit: Forget anything I said x.x
I just learned how on my own c:

Last edited:
Back