• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A second version of the USS Enterprise

The Spirit is a very good replica of a colonial privateer from the American Revolution. It would have been more significant than the real Pilgrim in its day, since it was one of the earliest examples of a Baltimore Clipper and among the first Baltimore Clippers to be used for privateering. (a long tradition) The Pilgrim was just a mundane hide brig that happened to have a book written about it.

The Spirit is a very good replica of a colonial privateer from the American Revolution. It would have been more significant than the real Pilgrim in its day, since it was one of the earliest examples of a Baltimore Clipper and among the first Baltimore Clippers to be used for privateering. (a long tradition) The Pilgrim was just a mundane hide brig that happened to have a book written about it.

True. lol The Pilgrim wasn't even that special. It's just because one of the crew members, Richard Henry Dana, wrote a book about serving on her for two years, and had a city named after him. lol Do we have anything resembling the Spirit in the game?

Well, nothing I know of in CoAS, and I believe the games share most of the models. I don't think that there are any schooners of that size or specific hull shape.The Spirit is missing a few of her sails, though. I could always ask the captain what he would do rigging-wise if the OI had more money laying around.

Just a quick update:
I did manage to find a scale model of Pilgrim in the OI main building that can be used as a reference, but still no line drawings.

Just a quick update:
I did manage to find a scale model of Pilgrim in the OI main building that can be used as a reference, but still no line drawings.

Nice. Can you get some pics?

I'll try to get in there next Saturday when I'm on Pilgrim. There's also a cross-section of Pilgrim in the Barn (you might know which building I'm talking about) that I could take a picture of. (It's only a broadside view)
If we wanted to use the modern Pilgrim as a reference, I just discovered we were going into dry dock this August to carry out repairs. I could get some pictures of the underwater hull.
(There is only one problem for the game- there isn't really a good spot to put any guns... we could make a brig of war version with some modified paint and some medium-ish carronades on deck. The Nelson Checker on Pilgrim,like most later merchant vessels, didn't hide any gun ports. On the plus side, it does have a roomy hold with a comfortable amount of head room.)

Edit: If we were to base a model on the replica, I could also get some shots from aloft showing the shape of the entire deck. I'm fairly confident that with all things combined, it would be fairly simple to create a good model. There are also measurements of every piece of rigging, and I could measure stuff on deck. I'm sure the guys on the crew would love to see a finished ingame version of the ship.
We could just name the finished product "hide brig"

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was having a discussion about Pilgrim's hull with another crew member, and it just so happens that we do in fact have the replica Pilgrim's full plans stashed away somewhere. So if anyone is interested, I could work on finding and scanning them. If we don't have a rigging plan, I'm sure I could make or find all the necessary measurements. Upon closer examination of the model, I found several major errors that rule it out as a reference.

And while I'm at it, I also have very clear and detailed photos of a 1540's Spanish 15 foot long boat's line drawings, along with a full-sized replica of the boat. It was rigged with sails.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was having a discussion about Pilgrim's hull with another crew member, and it just so happens that we do in fact have the replica Pilgrim's full plans stashed away somewhere. So if anyone is interested, I could work on finding and scanning them. If we don't have a rigging plan, I'm sure I could make or find all the necessary measurements. Upon closer examination of the model, I found several major errors that rule it out as a reference.

And while I'm at it, I also have very clear and detailed photos of a 1540's Spanish 15 foot long boat's line drawings, along with a full-sized replica of the boat. It was rigged with sails.

Oooo! I say scan them!
me.gif
Someone will be interested eventually. Better to scan them now and have them on hand.

I guess I should figure out who has them... I know a model maker borrowed them from the master leatherworker who borrowed them from the training master who borrowed them from the bosun who borrowed them from the Ocean Institute. :facepalm

Still not much luck. I did figure out who should have them, but lately my schedule has been too tight to do anything about it.

Well no worries. There's no mad rush to get this done. This project can be done at our leisure. :onya If we can ever get anyone to model it, I'll be more than happy to do the texturing. Just as with the Black Pearl and the Queen Anne's Revenge, I'll use pictures of the actual ship for the textures.

Good to know. Glad the brig was made.
Wasn't the brig version a retexture of the Interceptor? Might actually have been your work, or am I totally misremembered?
Ships_init.c would know, but I can't check right now.

The schooner was made many, many years later and is a completely different ship:
USS_Enterprise_PotC_1.jpg

Wasn't the brig version a retexture of the Interceptor? Might actually have been your work, or am I totally misremembered?
Ships_init.c would know, but I can't check right now.

The schooner was made many, many years later and is a completely different ship:
USS_Enterprise_PotC_1.jpg

I don't believe so. I Can't remember what we used originally. Unless it is now. Which would be funny since the Lady Washington did play the USS Enterprise in "Star Trek: Generations" Haha
Seems weird that there's a tallship in a Sci-Fi movie. But you know . . . holodeck. :rofl

old_ship.jpg

Enterprise_1799.jpg

The brig Enterprise we have has the black and white colour scheme.
You can look her up with GM Viewer.

I'm gonna do high res textures for this. I should be able to cheat and just use the ones from the Interceptor and recolor them.

Back