• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Active Promotion and Recruiting on Other Sites

I have been posting every AoS game in this thread since 2011. I've been promoting HOOCOTS on subsim since 2012 and promise I will continue to do so at:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=188692

There's also a dedicated thread HOOCOTS thread on this forum but it doesn't get as much traffic as the other. That's fine as long as forum members manage it and link the updates:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2168191#post2168191

I made an AoS thread here on the NSD forum
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/other-games/45576-age-of-sail#45576

NavalAction gets quite a lot of interest there too.
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/other-games/59197-naval-action#62090

It's currently up for STEAM Greenlight, but it seems like it might be P2P, which sucks.

Last edited:
It's currently up for STEAM Greenlight, but it seems like it might be P2P, which sucks.

To pass the Steam Greenlight you will need to charge users for HOO. There are numerous examples of steam not accepting top #10 games from greenlight, because they were free. Latest one was "Unturned" that was left out even though they were N0 3 in votes
But if you truly plan to keep the game free (or on donations only) you wont need steam at all. People will come far to get it.

To pass the Steam Greenlight you will need to charge users for HOO. There are numerous examples of steam not accepting top #10 games from greenlight, because they were free. Latest one was "Unturned" that was left out even though they were N0 3 in votes
But if you truly plan to keep the game free (or on donations only) you wont need steam at all. People will come far to get it.

Yeah, for sure. They are charging for Naval Action. It just got greenlit.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.ph...this-game-has-been-greenlit-by-the-community/

I don't mind paying for a game, but I hate P2P. Pay once, then own it. I'll still buy it though, Age of Sail sims are few and far between.

Hearts of Oak will be hands-down the better game, and the fact it will be free is just the icing on the cake.

"Better" game is always subjective. The games will have similarities but they will be different game types overall and really can only be compared as age of sail games, not so much one being better than the other.

I agree on P2P being a pain. My other annoyance is P2W games, which it seems is the most profitable model. There is nothing that says we can't push to Steam later on and just do something like $0.99 for it. It just has to charge for the game, doesn't mean we actually need to make a profit. If we charge the minimum that needs to be paid to Steam then we don't make anything and can still be on their system. But like @Maxizzz says, I doubt we will even need Steam to further our efforts since we aren't planning to make a profit at all.

True. Better for me, I should say :)

HOI will be more my type of game on release, after a year, and will still be lovingly maintained when Naval Action 4 is being released. Your steam idea is good too, alternatively pick a lifeboat or sailors charity.

That sounds a bit like what is happening with Black Mesa. They spent 8 years making a free game and released it. A year later they are converting it to a more modern engine and are creating 2 versions. A free version and a for profit version for Steam. Basically Valve hired them but they are not forgetting their roots.

Hello I am alexandros , and I 've been following you for 2 or 3 months ago.

The first thing to say is that you are amazing , what you have you done with the Pirates of the Caribbean game has no name, but what you 're doing with Hearts of Oak is incredible, I have a great feeling that the project succeed .

Therefore, and seeing this post, I ask that you bear me permission to promocinar your project in the virtual air squadron to which I belong , I know it has nothing to do with my web with the project, but we 69 Spanish squad are men we love the realism , and over time , I discovered that although we are knights of the air, love the other branches of the army, Navy still an important part , unfortunately , our experiences are based on modern simulators , but I'm seeing that we are a few we love the golden age of the navy , I guess being a citizen of one of the countries with greater naval tradition , is a major cause .

Before leaving , I ask your pardon for my english , I understand English, but I have not the level to write what I have written in this post.

Finally , I attached the link of our website and I hope you give me the go ahead to announce your jewel

http://www.escuadron69.net/v20/foro/

Morning folks,

First I'll echo what people have already said: What you're doing with the development for Hearts of Oak, what you've done with the Pirates of the Caribbean Build Mod, is superb. I came back to the Build Mod recently after a couple of years of other things and the amount of content and tweaking that has happened in those two years is really great. Well done and thanks to all involved!
As far as advertising on other websites goes may I suggest a template is created, i.e, like a poster for a band playing a gig, that can easily be copied and pasted by anyone onto any website or forum they use. That way you can make sure the links post to the right place, it makes the message uniform and you can ensure that the hard work you are doing on what is going to be a great game is advertised in the best possible way. In short; You need to advertise the game as well as it possibly can be and at the same time make it simple for word to be spread about it.

Happy to help in that respect if I can.

Frenchie

I'll be looking forward to it! :cheers

If you need any sort of materials that aren't posted on that page, let us know and we'll see if we have anything available that fits. :doff

I've just updated our CryDev profile to include all the latest video updates from Captain Murphy. We still need to add more recent images, but I'll do that with the next article.

I also tried adding the latest videos to the IndieDB page, but it doesn't seem to recognise the YouTube URLs (long and short types) and returns an error.
That's probably what Captain Murphy also found, which is annoying, but we can at least continue to showcase the videos via articles.

I tried adding vids using 5 different browsers across 3 different computers and never could get one to upload. I tried different url's (public, private, short, long, ssl and non-ssl) with no luck. I reported it to the indie-db staff and never got a reply so I just gave up and put them into the article instead.

I'll add this week's images to IndieDB, CryDev and the HoO site, and will try to do so with each new article.

I won't add the previous images just yet because I'm focusing on this week's article for now.
In the meantime, anyone else is free to add images to each of those sites when they can.

All of this week's article images are now on IndieDB, CryDev and the HoO site.
To avoid hitting the 1MB limit on CryDev (and the 4MB limit on IndieDB), I scaled some images down to 1920x1080 and saved as a JPG file.

And on the HoO site, I've also started making use of the tags to make it easy to find specific content.
Some of the tags we've already got are too specific (e.g. "WIP Armada"), so instead I've started using tags like "WIP", "Ships", "Buildings", and content creators' names with an @symbol.
You can see which tags we've got here: http://www.heartsofoakgame.com/Images/tabid/516/Tags/1428/Default.aspx

Back