• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Planned Feature Add Gameplay Value to Drinking in Taverns

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirates drink rum in taverns. We all know that. You can do it in the game too.
Which leaves you with less money than before, with the added bonus of possibly getting into fights or getting mugged.
In other words: quite pointless, really. Time doesn't even pass properly, so you can't use it to wait for anything either.

So maybe we can think of something so that there ARE good gameplay reasons for engaging in this most piratey or piratey behaviours! :cheeky

Quick look through the related code shows that there is a slight chance that a dialog case named "tavern_keeper" gets called.
If I understand correctly, that gets the tavern keeper him/herself to join you at your table for a drink of their own.

I doubt anyone ever managed to trigger that as the chance seems relatively small and there is little point in even getting that far.
But if you do trigger it, it wouldn't work outside the Standard Storyline because this code was still in the wrong file:
Code:
     case "tavern_keeper":
       homelocation = pchar.location;
       switch(homelocation)
       {
         case "Redmond_tavern":
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Charles Windem")].dialog.currentnode = "tavern_keeper";
           LAi_ActorWaitDialog(pchar, characterFromID("Charles Windem"));
           LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Charles Windem"));
           LAi_ActorDialogNow(characterFromID("Charles Windem"), pchar, "tavern_keeper_2", -1);
         break;

case "Oxbay_tavern":
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Everard Gordon")].dialog.currentnode = "tavern_keeper";
           LAi_ActorWaitDialog(pchar, characterFromID("Everard Gordon"));
           LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Everard Gordon"));
           LAi_ActorDialogNow(characterFromID("Everard Gordon"), pchar, "tavern_keeper_2", -1);
         break;

case "Greenford_tavern":
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Simon Hanpool")].dialog.currentnode = "tavern_keeper";
           LAi_ActorWaitDialog(pchar, characterFromID("Simon Hanpool"));
           LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Simon Hanpool"));
           LAi_ActorDialogNow(characterFromID("Simon Hanpool"), pchar, "tavern_keeper_2", -1);
         break;

case "Falaise_De_Fleur_tavern":
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Antoine Lebretton")].dialog.currentnode = "tavern_keeper";
           LAi_ActorWaitDialog(pchar, characterFromID("Antoine Lebretton"));
           LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Antoine Lebretton"));
           LAi_ActorDialogNow(characterFromID("Antoine Lebretton"), pchar, "tavern_keeper_2", -1);
         break;

case "Muelle_tavern":
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Claudio Burrieza")].dialog.currentnode = "tavern_keeper";
           LAi_ActorWaitDialog(pchar, characterFromID("Claudio Burrieza"));
           LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Claudio Burrieza"));
           LAi_ActorDialogNow(characterFromID("Claudio Burrieza"), pchar, "tavern_keeper_2", -1);
         break;

case "Douwesen_tavern":
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Friedrich Corleis")].dialog.currentnode = "tavern_keeper";
           LAi_ActorWaitDialog(pchar, characterFromID("Friedrich Corleis"));
           LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Friedrich Corleis"));
           LAi_ActorDialogNow(characterFromID("Friedrich Corleis"), pchar, "tavern_keeper_2", -1);
         break;

case "Pirate_tavern":
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Mario Figuiera")].dialog.currentnode = "tavern_keeper";
           LAi_ActorWaitDialog(pchar, characterFromID("Mario Figuiera"));
           LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Mario Figuiera"));
           LAi_ActorDialogNow(characterFromID("Mario Figuiera"), pchar, "tavern_keeper_2", -1);
         break;

case "Conceicao_tavern":
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Duarte Correja")].dialog.currentnode = "tavern_keeper";
           LAi_ActorWaitDialog(pchar, characterFromID("Duarte Correja"));
           LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Duarte Correja"));
           LAi_ActorDialogNow(characterFromID("Duarte Correja"), pchar, "tavern_keeper_2", -1);
         break;

case "Smugglers_tavern":
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Fabiao Dunga")].dialog.currentnode = "tavern_keeper";
           LAi_ActorWaitDialog(pchar, characterFromID("Fabiao Dunga"));
           LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Fabiao Dunga"));
           LAi_ActorDialogNow(characterFromID("Fabiao Dunga"), pchar, "tavern_keeper_2", -1);
         break;

case "QC_tavern":
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Ines Diaz")].dialog.currentnode = "tavern_keeper";
           LAi_ActorWaitDialog(pchar, characterFromID("Ines Diaz"));
           LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Ines Diaz"));
           LAi_ActorDialogNow(characterFromID("Ines Diaz"), pchar, "tavern_keeper_2", -1);
         break;
       }
     break;

case "tavern_keeper_2":
       homelocation = pchar.location;
       switch(homelocation)
       {
         case "Redmond_tavern":
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Charles Windem")].dialog.currentnode = "First time";
           LAi_SetBarmanType(characterFromID("Charles Windem"));
         break;

case "Oxbay_tavern":
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Everard Gordon")].dialog.currentnode = "First time";
           LAi_SetBarmanType(characterFromID("Everard Gordon"));
         break;

case "Greenford_tavern":
           LAi_SetBarmanType(characterFromID("Simon Hanpool"));
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Simon Hanpool")].dialog.currentnode = "second time";
         break;

case "Falaise_De_Fleur_tavern":
           LAi_SetBarmanType(characterFromID("Antoine Lebretton"));
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Antoine Lebretton")].dialog.currentnode = "second time";
         break;

case "Muelle_tavern":
           LAi_SetBarmanType(characterFromID("Claudio Burrieza"));
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Claudio Burrieza")].dialog.currentnode = "second time";
         break;

case "Douwesen_tavern":
           LAi_SetBarmanType(characterFromID("Friedrich Corleis"));
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Friedrich Corleis")].dialog.currentnode = "second time";
         break;

case "Pirate_tavern":
           LAi_SetBarmanType(characterFromID("Mario Figuiera"));
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Mario Figuiera")].dialog.currentnode = "second time";
         break;

case "Conceicao_tavern":
           LAi_SetBarmanType(characterFromID("Duarte Correja"));
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Duarte Correja")].dialog.currentnode = "second time";
         break;

case "Smugglers_tavern":
           LAi_SetBarmanType(characterFromID("Fabiao Dunga"));
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Fabiao Dunga")].dialog.currentnode = "second time";
         break;

case "QC_tavern":
           LAi_SetBarmanType(characterFromID("Ines Diaz"));
           characters[GetCharacterIndex("Ines Diaz")].dialog.currentnode = "second time";
         break;
       }
     break;
So for the next update, at least I'll move that into quests_common.c where it belongs.
It isn't much, but it's a start. :shrug

how about drinking giving you a temporary boost in reputation (mostly its how much people like you) and maybe also the relation to the nation you are drinking with. but it lowers all your skills temporary.
If you take a look at the opium I did something similar there. I could make a same system for alcohol where the effect goes away in a day (so you actually have time to profit from it).
This could also help you get away from places which don't like you by drinking you can increase the relation with the nation so they wont shoot you when you leave. but you'll need officers to sail the ship. Also your leadership would be lower so the chance of mutiny is higher. We could even raise that a bit more once you are drunk and still decide to sail away.

I liked your idea when i asked about this, you said we could link the treasure quests to this instead of random strangers telling you about hidden treasures in the middle of the street.

My idea is this: there is a chance that when you drink with someone in the tavern after the first cup you get along really well, get really friendly and talking. He tells you about the adventures he had when he was aboard his last ship and how if he hasn't been so unlucky he should have been rich by now. (After all why do you think i am at the tavern at this hour drinking ei? Arghh)

Then after the second or third cup (depending on how we make the dialogue or how this can be coded) something about a treasure, or a hidden chest, or an expensive secret, or a map drawing he has hidden slips his tongue.

Then there is a new chance that either he likes you (should this be linked to reputation or perks too?) and he offers you the info for a price cause he can't get to the treasure himself for some reason
or he starts acting all paranoid saying that you got him drunk because you are going to kill him to steal his treasure (even though you had no idea before he mentioned it) and the conversation ends up like it does in the already existing dialogues and you get nothing.

This process should be completed after a few cups in my opinion so it would seem more realistic

@Levis' idea sounds interesting, but relatively complicated.

I almost forgot again about my Treasure Quest suggestion. Thanks for bringing that one up again, @jack sparring!
That should be relatively doable, no?

Of course technically anything CAN be done. But how to get this worthwhile with the least possible amount of work required? :cheeky

how about drinking giving you a temporary boost in reputation (mostly its how much people like you) and maybe also the relation to the nation you are drinking with. but it lowers all your skills temporary.
If you take a look at the opium I did something similar there. I could make a same system for alcohol where the effect goes away in a day (so you actually have time to profit from it).
This could also help you get away from places which don't like you by drinking you can increase the relation with the nation so they wont shoot you when you leave. but you'll need officers to sail the ship. Also your leadership would be lower so the chance of mutiny is higher. We could even raise that a bit more once you are drunk and still decide to sail away.

so the more drunk you are the more people like you? i like your thinking, trying to play with the stats and add more elements but there is one small issue here: not everyone likes a drunk, ask elizabeth swann :D
pirates could like you when you are drinking with them in the taverns, so does your crew. but why would the governor like you when you are drunk every day?

All good points. I think playing around with temporary changes to relations and reputations might end up opening a can of complexity of which we cannot really oversee the potential results right now.
But a fun thought to be sure! :woot

I almost forgot again about my Treasure Quest suggestion. Thanks for bringing that one up again, @jack sparring!
That should be relatively doable, no?

This could be linked with the tavern waiting idea. Should you decide to wait in the tavern then you get the chance to have a long drinking session with someone there and possibly find out about a treasure as time passes.

so the more drunk you are the more people like you? i like your thinking, trying to play with the stats and add more elements but there is one small issue here: not everyone likes a drunk, ask elizabeth swann :D
pirates could like you when you are drinking with them in the taverns, so does your crew. but why would the governor like you when you are drunk every day?
there should be a cap ofcourse and maybe after say 5 drinks it should go down rapidly ;).
I like the idea of the treasure quests. Altough I was also planning on making them a gambling reward (if the player is out of money he bets a treasure map for a lot of money), but both could work.

Since gambling does already have gameplay value, I'd like joining it with the drinking instead.
Could also work well with swapping "tall tales", rumours, then stories about buried treasure.
Might make for some fun dialogs. :cheeky

Nice ideas mates! You could also throw in an occasional hint at treasure fleets, rumors of pirate attacks, Naval patrols, or juicy cargo runs. Of course, none of these actually has to be true to add to the flavor, but an occasional real tip would keep things interesting! :aar

Nice ideas mates! You could also throw in an occasional hint at treasure fleets, rumors of pirate attacks, Naval patrols, or juicy cargo runs. Of course, none of these actually has to be true to add to the flavor, but an occasional real tip would keep things interesting! :aar
I would really like to do it but atm none of those things are implemented yet :p.
Yuicy cargoruns would be possible tough. I could write a little function to figure out the cargorun which should give the best return in money at that particular moment. @Hylie Pistof would like that I guess :p.

Edit: btw it's no coincedence that off all the ideas here you had to reply on this one rigth :cheers

Yuicy cargoruns would be possible tough. I could write a little function to figure out the cargorun which should give the best return in money at that particular moment. @Hylie Pistof would like that I guess :p.
Would be nice for sure! The "rumours" system always had pre-determined hints on good trade routes, but those are pretty much all wrong now.
Definitely would be welcome to have that back, but dynamic so it would always give good advice.

Treasure Fleets DO actually exist in the game. They just appear at random.
We do have this idea that could fit into this quite nicely: Feature Request - Treasure Fleet Sidequest | PiratesAhoy!

Well I can raise/lower skills prety easy now.
So this would be able to implement relatively easy now I believe.
We could lower a random skill when drinking alcohol (for one day for example) and raise your Reputation X Points (for one day for example).
I don't know for sure how easy it is to also raise/lower the relation to the Nation.

Having it affect reputation/nation relations doesn't make any sense to me, I'm afraid.
Also, no point messing around with reputation for now at all, because I want to change that system first.

The only purposes I am intending to add to "drinking in tavern" are:
- Allow time to pass without using a room (probably remove the "sleep in tavern hall" option).
- Get to hear rumours while doing so.
- Make THIS the way you get Treasure Quests, instead of through the Enc_Walkers.
Those dialogs will be changed soon(ish) anyway to be based on their officer type, right?

Seems enough to me.

Though of course there ARE the "wine" and "rum" items that you can buy and use as potions.
Technically I suppose those should do something "drunken-y".
But I can think of no sensible positive effects, I'm afraid. :confused:

- Make THIS the way you get Treasure Quests, instead of through the Enc_Walkers.
Those dialogs will be changed soon(ish) anyway to be based on their officer type, right?

After the public release. I don't want to accedently break stuff

After the public release. I don't want to accedently break stuff
Truth be told, that particular change sounds less risky than some other things I could think of.
Should be simply using "officer type" for the switch instead of having it 100% random.

But anyway, there are more crucial things still to be done.

Truth be told, that particular change sounds less risky than some other things I could think of.
Should be simply using "officer type" for the switch instead of having it 100% random.

But anyway, there are more crucial things still to be done.
If there is time left it is on my todo list indeed.

I know where a couple of potions are for sale - the second tavern in Cartagena. Rum and wine are both healing potions. PoTC is probably the only game in which alcoholism is good for you. xD (I believe you can also buy them in the brothel in Nevis pirate settlement, though the price is a lot higher - you're probably paying for the service more than the goods. :D)

Random walkers sell the same sort of things as stores and street merchants, I believe. So if potions can't be bought in regular places then they probably can't be bought from walkers either. Then there are the walkers who specifically offer to sell you a medical supply, which used to be a potion, but when bandages became the default standard medicament, the walkers started selling those instead.

Back