• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Planned Feature Add Gameplay Value to Drinking in Taverns

Then there are the walkers who specifically offer to sell you a medical supply, which used to be a potion, but when bandages became the default standard medicament, the walkers started selling those instead.
Oops, those are the ones I was referring to. Forgot that we changed those to no longer sell potions. :facepalm

PoTC is probably the only game in which alcoholism is good for you. xD
Yeah, that is still something I'd like to see addressed. It's weird!

Indeed that is correct, I meant make potions generally more available (the level comment was my brain misfiring ;) ).

It could instead be a weaker alternate item, but the player might need some means of buying something that can restore health in battle, if at a very high price, if we close off the bandages.

Rum could be repurposed for this.

Then again, maybe not, we do find random potions somewhat frequently. Playtesting will give better insight once we have the initial system in place, and we can see if they are needed or not then. :)

i agree with that i would love to see the idea of injuries as a toggle to choose whether to play with it or not
i think if we use Rum shouldn't make it like give you a negative thing or something for a while but it will bring you your health back so its like a risk the player will choose to either do it or not after all its a RUM!!!
i can't wait to see this ingame!!! maybe an imported SAKE!!!!!XD

Just had a look at the code.
I'm thinking of making a general "Drunk" attribute which can be set for potions. Depending on the number of this attribute penalties will be set.
I was thinking of these effects:

When drinking something with alcohol you:
- Heal some HP
- (planned for later once poison stacks) restore a little bit of poison effect
- Get a little bonus in your reputation for a small period of time
- Get a little bonus in your relation with nations for a small period of time
- Get -1 in melee
- Get -1 in luck
- Get -1 in defence

So you can actually use it from a gameplay perspective. If people don't like you, you could try to use alcohol so they will like you, but after you've used it you might want to avoid getting into battle for a while.
This is fairly simple to program because almost all of it is in place already.
What do you guys think?

- (planned for later once poison stacks) restore a little bit of poison effect
Alcohol technically IS poison so that doesn't make sense.

- Get a little bonus in your reputation for a small period of time
- Get a little bonus in your relation with nations for a small period of time
I suggest skipping that for now. Extra complexity for little gain.
Also not convinced it makes much sense. Especially not on Nation Relations; that's political and getting drunk shouldn't really improve on that.

This is also something different to the subject of the thread as this was intended to be able the "drinking in tavern" dialog to serve some purpose, such as "triggering Treasure Quests".

Alcohol technically IS poison so that doesn't make sense.
it steralizes ;), if you've got an infection it could help :p and it helps with the pain.
I wanted to give it some more positive effect because else no-one would use it. Alcohol normally is used in social situations thats why I sugested the relation and/or reputation gain.

I suggest skipping that for now. Extra complexity for little gain.
Also not convinced it makes much sense. Especially not on Nation Relations; that's political and getting drunk shouldn't really improve on that.

This is also something different to the subject of the thread as this was intended to be able the "drinking in tavern" dialog to serve some purpose, such as "triggering Treasure Quests".
If I make a function to make you "drunk" that could be called in those functions also.

I wanted to give it some more positive effect because else no-one would use it.
There already is! They're health items. At the moment they don't have any negative effects. ;)

If I make a function to make you "drunk" that could be called in those functions also.
That makes it even less useful though. First need to actually add a point to it. ;)

Note that at the moment wine has a significantly better health value (+180) than rum (+50), and the prices reflect that. If you want to change the health effects then you may also want to change the prices - and if you do, change "Salvadore Xalmiento_dialog.c" and "Salvadore Xalmiento_dialog.h" to match (he's charging 110% of what's shown in "initItems.c" plus an extra 5 for the room). Normal prices per bottle as shown in "initItems.c" are currently 300 for wine and 120 for rum. The idea that, if you down too many bottles, you get drunk and skills suffer, is a good one, provided it wears off in time. But this drinking should not affect reputation and certainly not national relations.

But this thread is supposed to be about drinking in taverns. ;) The main way you're likely to do that is if you talk to a random sitter who asks you to buy him a drink. Social drinking like that could perhaps add a few points to "Leadership". Overdoing it already has negative effects - if I remember correctly, you pass out and are robbed. Perhaps also add a dialog option with the tavern keeper to allow you to buy a round of drinks for everyone in the place - very expensive, earns you more "Leadership" points, adds to the number of crew available for hire and raises their starting morale.

The idea that, if you down too many bottles, you get drunk and skills suffer, is a good one, provided it wears off in time. But this drinking should not affect reputation and certainly not national relations.
Agreed.

But this thread is supposed to be about drinking in taverns. ;) The main way you're likely to do that is if you talk to a random sitter who asks you to buy him a drink. Social drinking like that could perhaps add a few points to "Leadership". Overdoing it already has negative effects - if I remember correctly, you pass out and are robbed. Perhaps also add a dialog option with the tavern keeper to allow you to buy a round of drinks for everyone in the place - very expensive, earns you more "Leadership" points, adds to the number of crew available for hire and raises their starting morale.
There IS something in place to talk to the tavern owner there. I think it might be for him to join you at the table, but I have no clue whatsoever if that works.

Leadership from getting drunk? If anything, shouldn't "gettting drunk" decrease Leadership?

My main thought was to have interesting rumours, including Treasure Quests, triggered through social drinks.
So you'll get drunk, but you may have learned something worth knowing.

Back