• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Adding New Nations

For flags, you will need to edit:
  • merflg2.tga, merflg3.tga, merflg4.tga - merchant ship flags in "Spanish Main", "Golden Age of Piracy" and "Colonial Powers" respectively;
  • merpnt2.tga, merpnt3.tga, merpnt4.tga - pennants for merchant ships
  • shpflg2.tga, shpflg3.tga, shpflg4.tga - naval ship flags
  • shppnt2.tga, shppnt3.tga, shppnt4.tga - naval pennants
  • frtflg2.tga, frtflg3.tga, frtflg4.tga - flags used by forts
You can find an example Swedish flag in "perflg5.tga", and its corresponding pennant in "perpnt5.tga". According to Flags of the World, the naval flag was not the usual simple rectangle; rather, it had a triple tail. Use the alpha channel to create that - look at the pennant files, and in particular "perpnt7.tga", to see how the alpha channel is used to give pennants their tapered shape.

Look at "merflg5.tga", "merpnt5.tga", "shipflg5.tga", "shippnt5.tga" and "frtflg5.tga". Those are the flag files for the "Revolutions" period, and include the American flags. Where the American flag goes in those files, that's where you'll need to put the Swedish flag in the files for earlier periods.

I have checked and the existing swedish soldiers (carolins) are ok for "the golden age of piracy" and "colonial powers".
I'll change that in nations_init.c

Here are the ones for "the spanish main".

Attachments

• swe sold.jpg
    swe sold.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 184
They're supposed to look like something from the 30-years war when uniforms that all looked the same
not yet were so common so I thought a little variation could do.
I figured you'd have a good, creative reason. As I said: interesting! :onya

I think I got it all wrong. Which periods are we talking about with Sweden as a nation?
Is it Colonial, Revolutions and Napoleonic?

Yes that's what I saw but today in nations_init.c I found Colonial, Revolutions and Napoleonic.
Hopefully an earlier case.

They're supposed to look like something from the 30-years war when uniforms that all looked the same
not yet were so common so I thought a little variation could do.
Ah, the Thirty Years War. I knew this might be of interest:
6808gustav_adolf_death.jpg

There's a little place in Saxony-Anhalt called Lützen. It was the site of a battle during the Thirty Years War, in 1632, of some significance - especially to King Gustavus Adolphus, who was killed there. There's a memorial with a little museum, a chapel, and a Swedish colony, and I visited it last year. The above picture is a diorama in the museum showing the death of the king, and may be useful for creating uniforms of the periods.

Yes 1632, that's one of the two years we read about in swedish school when I was a child.
(The other one was 1718 when Karl XII was killed.) Also Blackbeard!
Strange enough we celebrate that day - the 6:th of november 1632 - by eating "Gustav Adolfs pastries".

So the two swedish uniform types then goes back to those two kings.

I have updated the list of swedish ranks and titles:
Code:
// JRH -->
        rNation.Ranks.Quantity = 12;
        rNation.Ranks.1 = "Underlöjtnant";
        rNation.Ranks.2 = "Överlöjtnant";
        rNation.Ranks.3 = "Kaptenlöjtnant";
        rNation.Ranks.4 = "Kapten";
        rNation.Ranks.5 = "Örlogskapten";
        rNation.Ranks.6 = "Kommendörkapten";
        rNation.Ranks.7 = "Kommendör";
        rNation.Ranks.8 = "Schoutbynacht";
        rNation.Ranks.9 = "Konteramiral";
        rNation.Ranks.10 = "Viceamiral";
        rNation.Ranks.11 = "Amiral";
        rNation.Ranks.12 = "Riksamiral";
        rNation.Titles.Quantity = 12;
        rNation.Titles.1 = "Underlöjtnant";
        rNation.Titles.2 = "Överlöjtnant";
        rNation.Titles.3 = "Kaptenlöjtnant";
        rNation.Titles.4 = "Kapten";
        rNation.Titles.5 = "Örlogskapten";
        rNation.Titles.6 = "Kommendörkapten";
        rNation.Titles.7 = "Riddare";
        rNation.Titles.8 = "Friherre";
        rNation.Titles.9 = "Greve";
        rNation.Titles.10 = "Borgmästare";
        rNation.Titles.11 = "Landshövding";
        rNation.Titles.12 = "Riksråd";
        // JRH <--

@Ivanusiker When I try your nations.c and nations_init.c I get error messages. Even before I have changed nations_init.c.
I see there's a bracket missing in nations_init.c but there's something more in nations.c

Code:
COMPILE ERROR - file: nations\nations_init.c; line: 1118
Missing '}' in segment
RUNTIME ERROR - file: nations\nations.c; line: 268
missed attribute: id

I'm trying to fix the Swedish nations (for ships). Found that ship pennants for period 1 - 4 has a danish one in the spot I need for the swedish.
This is strange because no matching danish ship flags exists. Denmark exist as a personal flag though.

Anyone remember anything special going on here or can I overwrite those danish pennants?

Do you mean in the "personal" flag files or the nation-specific ones? For nation-specific, I'm pretty sure those are unused.

If you're changing pennant files, could you use the ones from the last post 7th January fixes archive, please? I re-did the British pennants to make the St. George's cross part narrower so that, when they're stretched out as pennants in the game, that part appears more square.

Since whoever put those Danish pennants there didn't finish the job by making flags, let alone adding Denmark as a full nation, I'd say they're expendable. The Danish flag in the personal set has some sort of bird in the upper left quadrant but there's room in "perflg7" and "perpnt7" for a pure Danish flag if anyone wants to put it back. Or, for that matter, in "perflg5" and "perpnt5", which currently contain a Swedish flag that will be redundant if you're adding it as a full nation. Note that according to Flags of the World, the Swedish war ensign had a triple tail - easily achieved with an alpha mask.

If you're changing pennant files, could you use the ones from the last post 7th January fixes archive, please?
Yes of course.

Or, for that matter, in "perflg5" and "perpnt5", which currently contain a Swedish flag that will be redundant if you're adding it as a full nation.
Yes but I have already used it in my quest and don't want to redo it so I would prefer if it could stay as it is.

Note that according to Flags of the World, the Swedish war ensign had a triple tail
Yes but merchants ships were(are) not allowed to use that one so I let be as it is for now. Can be changed.

Yes but I have already used it in my quest and don't want to redo it so I would prefer if it could stay as it is.
It's not an issue yet as there are still free slots in "perflg7", but I'm not sure if it's possible to add another row. So if "perflg7" fills up, then it might be nice to have that slot available. (Of course, by that time we might all be using NHR anyway...)

Yes but merchants ships were(are) not allowed to use that one so I let be as it is for now. Can be changed.
Merchant ships have different flags from warships anyway. You could use the triple-tail flag in "shipflg*" and the plain version in "merflg*".

Back