• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Flags: Additional Personal and Pirate Flags

CaptianMorgue

Landlubber
I come from Norway and while Norway had no influence in Caribbean almost at all, we did have some notorious Pirates here in Norway which of course was also considered Swedish considering the period Sweden occupied Norway.

I would love to have a Norwegian sail flag to chose from in the personal flag collection. It's not a "must" but would be really awesome.

I have renamed this thread to a more relevant related request and marked it as a "Medium Priority" feature request for Build 14.
The idea would be to add a substantial number of extra personal and pirate flags for different starting characters and possible quest use.
Some ideas would be Scandinavion flags, but also an Argentinian and Haitian one for added player characters.

This should technically be quite doable by finding the code for custom flags and copy-pasting it a bit to allow more files.
It would also require copying and HEX-editing some of the DLL files in the MODULES folder, but that should be fairly straightforward.
Plus the actual textures would need to be made, including small ones and crests for interface use.

Would anyone be interested in looking into some of that?

Ok looked into this and have a new row of personal flags - mostly just a copy of the previous row ready for texture work by whoever. I have added Argentinian (as a test) but lost the backgrounds in the process (so i'll have to try harder). No hex editing required for this or the next pirates row because the extra dll were already in place -but hex editing and editing rigging (I think) for another row of personal flags if required..

Attachments

• seadogs2_0000.tga
    1.8 MB · Views: 294
  • seadogs2_0001.tga
    1.8 MB · Views: 271
  • seadogs2_0003.tga
    1.8 MB · Views: 282
I can't check your images right now, unfortunately. What do you need to do to get these flags working in the game without overwriting any existing ones?
Indeed it looks like there are already 6 DLLs prepared also for pirate and personal flags and those aren't used yet.

Ok looked into this and have a new row of personal flags - mostly just a copy of the previous row ready for texture work by whoever. I have added Argentinian (as a test) but lost the backgrounds in the process (so i'll have to try harder). No hex editing required for this or the next pirates row because the extra dll were already in place -but hex editing and editing rigging (I think) for another row of personal flags if required..
Please either let me have a copy of the finished file or add this while you're working on it...

Francis Drake could use one of these for his personal flag. The first is actually the shield of the family of Drake of Ash - Francis claimed a link to the family and therefore the right to use their coat of arms, but the head of the family disputed the claim. In due time Queen Elizabeth awarded Francis Drake his own arms, shown as the second image.

ArgentAWyvernGules.jpg
DrakeArms.PNG

Last edited:
They are working in my game (apart from the loss of background around the flag or crest I tweaked on the interfaces which I take to be due to a missing"set to transparent" tag in part of the export /import conversion.

However you basically need a copy of perflg5.tga.tx and perpnt5.tga.tx in RESOURCE/textures/flags renamed to be ....6... These are what are shown on the ships (row number)

The new row is number 6 so for the interfaces you also need copies of Crest_Personal05,15,25,35,45,55,65 tga.tx etc in RESOURCE/texture/INTERFACES/flags renamed as Crest_Personal06 etc and FlagPersonal etc in the same manner (these are effectively column and row number)

Finally you need to change #define PERSONALFLAGS_TEXTURES_QUANTITY 6 in globals.c
(Incidentally the #define FLAGS_PICTURES_QUANTITY_PER_TEXTURE 7 seems a maximum reduciing it cuts the number of columns (and therefore flags))

To alter the flags you obviously need pick a particular flag and pennant in the row of these in the new perflag & perpnt texture files and overwrite them there, you then need matching crest and flag in the right column and row number in .../INTERFACES/flags

To add another row will mean hex editing the perflg6.tga reference in the dll to be perflg7 (same with pennant) undertake the same copying as above with 7 for 6,

but it looks like the RESOURCE/INI/rigging file will need changing to add another block for 7. All the dll groups currently stop at 6 so they at least would need extending to 7 I presume (pir,frt,mer,per flag and pennant).
I suspect that this is also why the extra personal and pirate dll files already exist. It should be fairly simple to do and "see what happens". Pirflg4-7 are already set in this file so missing textures may not be a problem.
You will also see after each .tga allocation a count=8 which I have no idea what it means (or if this gives a finite limit to additions (many more wouldn't fit on the interface screen as set up anyway)). I will probably try this extension to 7 (and possibly 8) rows to see what troubles arise.

PS there is a CrestNeutral texture which saves trying to erase /write over the odd shape of the crest when creating anew.

They are working in my game (apart from the loss of background around the flag or crest I tweaked on the interfaces which I take to be due to a missing"set to transparent" tag in part of the export /import conversion.
You need to export with alpha map.

I am relatively familiar with how the whole flag textures system works and most of the personal/pirate crests in the game have actually been done by me quite a while back.
So I can probably point you in the right direction for anything you haven't yet sorted out. Hopefully anyway.... :wp

You need to export with alpha map.

Yes that seemed to do the trick. So here are the files for a new row with Argentinian, Haitian and @Grey Roger's Drake's dragon. I'm sure a proper modeller could make a better fist at them but at least they are there for now. zip flags contains the two flag strips for RESOURCES/textures/flags and the other the 14 files for .../INTERFACES/flags. You will note I got the numbering wrong by one in the earlier post - zero is included.

So the only other change should be the incrementation in globals.c

Yet to try the next two rows.

Attachments

• flags.7z
    273.3 KB · Views: 212
  • Flags1.7z
    130.2 KB · Views: 211
That is brilliant! I'm surprised by how easy to actually was; I had feared it would be harder. :bow

To make those textures look better, you can make use of the following:
- shppnt6.tga.tx contains a white pennant you can overlay on top of yours to give them the same weathered effect as the others
- frtflg6.tga.tx contains a white flag that you can overlay on top of yours to give them the same weathered effect as the others
- Crest_Neutral.tga.tx can be overlaid on top of the other crests (with transparency applied) to give them the same 3D effect as the others
- Flag_Neutral.tga.tx can be overlaid on top of the other flags (with transparency applied) to give them the same weathered effect as the others

Which reminds me.... This should be done for the Flag_Personal24.tga.tx as well; that one also doesn't look quite convincing....

Thanks for doing this; I hadn't to see this taken care of so soon. :woot

Please tell me if I am getting carried away here, but....

We have still have FOUR open spots on the personal flags. Here are some ones we could put to immediate use:
- Sao Feng's pirate flag: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/pirates/images/1/18/Feng_Swann_flag.png/revision/20140220042349
- Something with a black Fleur-de-Lis for Milady de Winter: http://www.jackthelads.com/signs_heads/fleur_de_lys_black_200.gif
- Alternate historical USA flag(s?): https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...g/220px-US_flag_13_stars_–_Betsy_Ross.svg.png (I think we actually had this one in the game at some point)

Perhaps @Jack Rackham, @Grey Roger and/or @Bartolomeu o Portugues have some wishes too.

Also attached is some more flag stuff I still had lying around....

Attachments

• Danish&SwedishFlags 11-01-15.zip
    710.5 KB · Views: 204
  • Flag Pack.zip
    211.5 KB · Views: 212
  • flag_pack_addon.zip
    50.5 KB · Views: 202
  • flagall American.zip
    29.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Flags.rar
    1.7 MB · Views: 209
  • high def flags for build integration.zip
    131.4 KB · Views: 191
  • improved white ensign.zip
    124.7 KB · Views: 206
  • merciless_ED_Flags.zip
    268.6 KB · Views: 204
  • merciless_flagpack.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 241
  • merciless_realistic_flags.zip
    426.5 KB · Views: 189
And a few more....
It is all a bit much, perhaps, but at least it gives us a lot to work with. I hope there's some good stuff in there.
I always liked @Triglav's ones. I reckon those do fit in the best with the flags we currently already have.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyhka1nnmc6l5zx/Flags.zip (this is probably the same as the file in the attachment, but I'm not sure)

Other than that, we may not need a 7th row of personal flags as I'm not sure that would quite fit in the interface.
On the other hand, HEX-editing a DLL file is easy enough and we DO have a lot of personal flags in the archives here.

Personally I'm also quite interested in having a greater variety in pirate flags though.

Attachments

• merciless_realistic_flags2.0.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 245
  • White Ensign.zip
    48.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Z - triglav Flags.7z
    1.8 MB · Views: 203
Other than that, we may not need a 7th row of personal flags as I'm not sure that would quite fit in the interface.
On the other hand, HEX-editing a DLL file is easy enough and we DO have a lot of personal flags in the archives here.
Actually 8 will be OK for the interface - its a question of what adding the block code to the rigging and what that does -ie is 6 significant in some way - I will test that tomorrow
upload_2015-7-24_22-12-47.png

I forgot if we had that one or not. It must have been this one then that we once had but was removed:
http://www.vssr.org/images/flags/Serapis.jpg

Since we have a fair few US characters, an extra US personal flag would not go amiss; then at least they wouldn't all need to use the "Don't tread on me" version.

EDIT: Having now read the Wikipedia entry for the Serapis flag, clearly that one would serve very well as John Paul Jones' personal flag.
In fact, that is apparently pretty much exactly what it was. :cheeky

If there's going to be a swedish pennant please use this one in the picture.
The traditional one.
And not one with a cross.

Attachments

• svensk_vimpel.jpg
    svensk_vimpel.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 284
I would like a flag for jean latiffe to.
According to history he flew a solid (blood)red flag.
Else you could use the flag he used at new grenada:
Flag_of_New_Granada_(1811-1814).svg

I would like a flag for jean latiffe to.
According to history he flew a solid (blood)red flag.
A plain red flag already exists as pirate flag. I have now immediately changed Lafitte to use that one instead:
upload_2015-7-25_15-37-46.png

AH, missed it. Thanks I think he will like having that flag :p.

Back