• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Akellas Q&A online!

K

Keith

OK guys its finally up, Alexander is the king of 1 sentance answers i must say :cheers But there were alot of questions though 8)

Im sure alot of you will be surprised by it.......

READ IT HERE

pretty disapointing as far as gameplay, mission based,no free roam'n of de sea's,ye can only sail one ship, I'd be bored after a couple O' hours. :cheers

There is definately some good info in that Q&A, nice work Keith! And a big thanks to Alexander for taking the time to give us some great info!

It is a little dissapointing that it will be a mission based linear story line. Us pirates love our freedom.

PA!: Will there be something similar to the Treasure Fleet roaming the waters?  

Alexander: The game is mission based, so there's no free roaming fleets. Free roaming fleets will be available in our unannounced Sea Dogs successor.  

I am also a little confused... I thought this title was going to be the successor to Sea Dogs? If Swashbuckler is the sucessor and it is going to be mainly a PS2 title, I don't see how it could even come close to matching the gameplay of Sea Dogs. I don't even want to contemplate how the controls will be mapped for a PC version, just look what they did with POTC.

Nah the "unannounced Sea Dogs successor" is another totally different game again.

I think its all they do there, cook up pirate games for us 8) But yeah this wasnt what I was expecting at all, ill still get it as ive never read the book :cheers

Ahh, ok, thanks for clearing that up mate :cheers

hey skull i agree wit ye's, i dont think ill like this like i would a Sea Dogs 2...i just have a question for ANYONE who would happen to know...are they for sure going to make an actual Sea Dogs 2? like SAME GAMEPLAY, not just mission based? THAT, my comrades, is what i am waiting for.

I echo Thagarr! Thank you Keith, and please thank Alexander for taking the time to answer all our questions...

Look at it this way, by our questions, at least he knows now what we're looking for in a pirate game, heh!

Much as I have enjoyed LOTR for years and years, much as I like the movies, I took one look at that game and said, URGH, no way. I just am not a fan of games that are like Doom - where all you do is go around killing things... I want to be able to think, and have the freedom to follow other lines of play instead of a linear, only one line game. That gets very old very soon...

BUT... I suppose that's what the game developers want - for it to get old so we buy the next one...

Still in all, the game looks really nice. You can't fault Akella's artists, they are amazing. :cheers 8)

Different types of games for different folks. I have a sneaking suspiscion that Voodoo Islands will be of a similar nature. I don't mind games that are mission based and load various areas for each mission, as long as there's a decent degree of freedom (Max Payne 2 was embarassing, if there were 3 doors in a room you could only open one of them since it lead you down the straight and narrow path).

For me, the thing that has me `re-installing` PotC again for the 100th time is that I can play it differently each time, and I don't have to jump through the hoops of a contrived story line just so I can get to the enjoyable parts.

Anyway, too bad we didn't know what we were asking about, most of those questions turned out to be very redundant. There's always PotBS. :blah:

Yes I too would agree with Sampow....I too would like to thank Alexander for clearing that up.....as for me I most likely will not be buying this game....I'll just have to wait for the "real" Sea Dogs 2 to come out... :blah:

I got this from Alex a while ago, I think he may have read some of the responses, I dont think its a main page news thing as it more casual so ill post it up here

Sorry for the Captain Blood Q&A - short answers and lots of "to be announced" stuff, but it was actually inevitable. To get things clearer, so the audience could imagine what is Captain Blood and what is Swashbucklers, I'll tell you a couple of things. :cheers

You shouldn't expect "pirate sim" thing from Captain Blood. The emphasis is made on action. We have naval battles that will remind you of Sea Dogs and POTC. But no freedom. It is like a mission in the sea. Go there and fight. Then you have a cutscene and move to another mission: naval or land mission. Pure action, strong arm of the plot (since everything's based on the book), no pirate life simulation. Adrenaline, battle frenzy, all that stuff. Few of the main points why the team decided to make this kind of project are: their love for Sabatini's works, a great passion to make an action title, and the idea to create boarding, which is a real massacre, and real fun. :) Note, that Captain Blood also uses the newest modification of the STORM 2.0 engine. So the technology is absolutely unbelievable. The sea in Captain Blood is the most beautiful sea in the games ever. Plus detailed damage system. Check all this in motion - the video will be available soon.

Swashbucklers: Legacy of Drake is an action game too. And, first of all, it is the console title. The PlayStation 2 owners don't have pirate titles at all. Well, actually they have Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat. :yes Soon they'll have Swashbucklers. Technically, this game is of course weaker than Captain Blood. But only because we have to deal with PlayStation 2. The game simply can't be as detailed as the PC title, can't have the sea as beautiful as Blood's sea. It is impossible for technical reasons. But it still will look great. And that's excellent for the PS2 game.
The game's structure is alot like Blood's one. Mission based, `plod-driven` etc. But in a whole, Swashbucklers tastes different. First of all, if naval combat still feels alot like the POTC combat, land missions are more like... say, Devil May Cry. :) The game also has unique aesthetics. Time period is XIX century. But it is not "our XIX century", it is more like what is often called "alternative history". We have XIX century ships, but at the same time it is the world, where piracy still exists. The main character is something like a mixture of a pirate and a cowboy. :) The main goal - search for the Drake's gold. Absolutely unique experience. Trust me. :)
By the way, you got me a little bit wrong, when you said, that "it wont look like the screenshots". It would. :) But Swashbucklers won't be as beautiful, as Captain Blood. Because it is mostly a PS2 game. The PC version will be strong, thanks to RenderWare tool, which allows to build the game for two platform simultaneously. But it is still mostly a PS2 title. :)

As for Akella's pirate sim game, you'll have. Perhaps, sooner than you even expect

Yeah, so now he leaves the door open for me to bomb him about the "Pirate Sim" :blah:

Yeah, so know he leaves the door open for me to bomb him about the "Pirate Sim"
Keep doing it, Keith, because they are working on multiplayer in that one. I'm not sure if they eventually include it, since it's not even been announced yet, but I think if you let them know that this is what you are all waiting for (not that soap opera on Sabbatini's books), the chances to see it released will skyrocket :blah: Who knows, may be even some screenshots...they seem to give them away much more willingly to western communities than to their own.

What is really frustrating, though, is this situation where they have a brand new powerful engine and it would seem logical to make a great pirate sim using it, but instead they are developing Captain Blood (and you know now what a railway track it will be) and at the same time they're working on "true Seadogs II" with real Caribbean, multiplayer and etc, but they power it with the old POTC engine (with only minor improvements). So once again no good visual damage system, no `high-polygonal` ship models. There are some things about Akella that I find hard to understand, really...

Yeah , but im starting to wonder why they have not updated that old Russian SD2 website since last year, i wonder if they are changing the engine for it.....hey a start to a new Q&A :blah:

Pity about you guys not getting many screenys, is there a russian version of Pirates Ahoy! though? like a general pirate game website?

Update: Hey seabro, Alex want me to pass on it is using the new Storm 2.0 engine :yes

He didnt tell me much more than that other then we will have to be patient, and this is the project that we are all expecting, the Seadogs II on steroids type thing

Well I hope the new storm engine makes the game's graphics better. Maybe there will actually be ropes on the ships. Ropes were the biggest detail to any ship and Akella never made them look good. I meant seriously looked like string coming off the side of me frigate. :yes

<!--`QuoteBegin-Keith`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keith)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah , but im starting to wonder why they have not updated that old Russian SD2 website since last year, i wonder if they are changing the engine for it.....hey a start to a new Q&A  8)  

Pity about you guys not getting many screenys, is there a russian version of Pirates Ahoy! though? like a general pirate game website?

Update:  Hey seabro, Alex want me to pass on it is using the new Storm 2.0 engine :)

He didnt tell me much more than that other then we will have to be patient, and this is the project that we are all expecting, the Seadogs II on steroids type thing[/quote]

I thought he'd say that, he's a `PR-guy`! :huh All I know is that they added dynamic lightning, a bit more polygons and working on adding multiplayer, so I would call it an updated engine, but not a completely new one :cheeky
It is still rather a POTC engine, than the one they're using in Captain Blood.
It is the gameplay that is completely new. They threw away jungle jogging, they enlarged the archipelago and made it caribbean and they will introduce a new system of NPC interaction. Should be a good game, but I have no idea who is going to publish it outside russia -- probably 1C this time?

Rumour has it that 1C is going to buy out copyrights from Bethesda for publishing Seadogs series. I wonder if it's true and if so why would they need to do that. :cheeky

is that a hint for me to ask seabro xD: i see ya lurking around :cheeky

you ruskies found out anything else about these games yet?

Seabro said:
Rumour has it that 1C is going to buy out copyrights from Bethesda for publishing Seadogs series. I wonder if it's true and if so why would they need to do that. :cheers
:) Wow, cool... Hee hee!!! If that's true, I think that looks good for the future of SeaDogs II - the REAL SeaDogs II! :yes

Back