• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Alliances

Officerpuppy

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
I think it was PoTC or AoP that had alliances change over time whereas two nations might be allied one year and five years later become enemies.

Afaik, CoAS either has this disabled or the feature isn't implemented. Since we have more coders hanging around here I thought I'd bring up this old topic again.

Ideally, perhaps a script can be made in which certain years trigger a change in national relations, for example, when the game reaches 1691 Spain and Holland go to war or 1692 the UP makes peace with France or something like that.

But if that can't be done, then something random would be nice to add a little realism to the game.

I made a post about all the wars and alliances that took place between 16 something and 17 something I think, I'll have to search for the post, it's at least two years old.

Afaik, CoAS either has this disabled or the feature isn't implemented.

Dutch just declared war on Spain, because Spain got neutral to England after finishing the english quest-line in my instance. So it does happen in AOP 2 after finishing one of the main quest-lines.

Personally, the last thing I want is nations randomly changing sides while my resources are stored in colonies switching allegiances.

All is about how you play the game: I like long term planning, and long term planning calls for very little randomness; it is not about not having changes but not having random (unpredictable) changes. Changes need to be rational enough for the player to foresee them, so he can make informed decisions and rework strategies accordingly. BTW, COAS as we play it just now have too much randomness for my likeing.

Anyway, if we can make the random allegiance changes a game option the player can select I'm all for it. But not just now: lets solve the problem we have before starting new ones :d:.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Personally, the last thing I want is nations randomly changing sides while my resources are stored in colonies switching allegiances.

Imho, that does not affect the moneylender etc or does it? As far as I know, everything will get lost, if the colony is taken over or plundered by another nation. You can still sneak into the town.

Actually, I think moneylenders are not affected and probably moored ships are not affected either. The Cheat the Death services (GOF 1.1.x) are not coded to be affected by allegiances so, no, they will continue working.

But the actual behaviour is highly dumb: the nation is declaring war against your country and not seizing the resources you openly stored in their colonies?

The game rules for resource storing are badly needing a change.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Whenever I get my computer back (soon I hope) I'll look into hard-coded, historically accurate alliance changes, as I like that idea quite a lot. No promises that I can do anything at all, but it's an excuse to poke around in the code when I need downtime from other projects :)

Whenever I get my computer back (soon I hope) I'll look into hard-coded, historically accurate alliance changes, as I like that idea quite a lot. No promises that I can do anything at all, but it's an excuse to poke around in the code when I need downtime from other projects :)

I don't think coding the changes being so difficult (actually I feel they are easy).

Another beast, however, is how the allegiance changes may impact the national quest and/or other content. No idea, really.

Cheers.
buho (A).

I don't think coding the changes being so difficult (actually I feel they are easy).

Another beast, however, is how the allegiance changes may impact the national quest and/or other content. No idea, really.

Cheers.
buho (A).
Good point. That can only be confirmed as no issue if one has played every national quest line once and know the mission relations... or if that can be figured out in the code would work of course too.

Not sure if it's worth the effort though.

I have some ideas. Once I've had a look at the code I'll decide if they're plausible and share.

Back