• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

amount of crew no effect on boarding

Sir_Moodz

Landlubber
When I board a ship they always have many defenders, I tested this by bringing the ship its crew bar to pretty much zero, then shoot another 500 grapes on it, then board, and they still have 10 defenders and 4 battles.
This is very annoying because I don't want to sink their ships, and shooting on them is pretty useless as they always fight with full crew anyway...
Is there a way to fix this? some settings I can change?

:ahoy

The boarding balancing system does work. It sounds like you are trying to board a very large ship with a very small ship. Do your officers join you in the battles?

There is always a set minimum number of defenders on every deck of 3-5. More than that means that there are still more of them than there are of you. Try it with a bigger ship with a larger crew.

No, its the opposite, I am boarding a tier 4 with my tier 2 with 500 crew, and he has no crew left, and he defends with same amount as if he had full crew

Bombarding the enemy ship with grape won't prevent you from having to fight them on the deck, but it should make the fight easier. A good dose of grapes should reduce enemy morale. That plus the fact that there are fewer of them should reduce the hit points of enemy defenders, making them easier to kill.

Which version of the game are you playing?

nOasq8g.jpg

This shows what I mean: He has tier 5 with 120 max crew, I have tier 2 with 579 crew, you can see his crew remaining, I had pretty much 100% of my crew left when boarding.

I had to fight on deck, gun deck, cargo deck and cabin, each fight he had 5-6 defenders and I had 8-9, his defenders had same health as mine, about 250
When I board the same class ship with full crew remaining I also have to fight 4 times and against same amount of defenders with same health.
I use version on moddb, Build 14 beta 3.2

The odds on a boarding action are always stacked a maximum of 2:1 in either side's favour.
This is the number of crewmembers on both sides. However, if you have a lot of crew and the enemy doesn't, your crew will have much more HP as well.

Unless they surrender you will always fight from deck to deck. There is lots of loot to be had doing that.

What is your level and reputation? With a big ship like that they usually surrender easily.

The smaller ships surrender 30% of the time, larger ships never.

I just did a fight against 1 tier lower then me where I killed all its crew before boarding, and my crew got slaughtered during the fight, his defenders had 150 more health then my men

Ahh. You are at a very low level with very low skills with a very high level ship. Of course you are getting slaughtered! They are better than you are. :duel:

You need to work on your skills and level up.

Indeed it isn't just a matter of number of crew; skills play a big part as well. Boarding skill in particular here.
Don't bite off more than you can chew or you'll find the odds stacked against yourself far too often.

My leadership skill is only 2, this might be the problem, I had less problems with boarding when I had a tier 6 ship and fighting against same tier

Indeed. Be patient and level up. Talk to townfolk and buy items from the merchants to help improve yourself.

How did you get a Poseidon? I didn't think you could buy something that size, and you probably didn't capture it if you're having such trouble boarding. :g2

It's rare but sometimes you can gain a surrendered ship very early in the game. I have done that, then spent ages getting good enough to actually sail the monster.

Back