• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Annoying controls

McGoodle

Landlubber
So I just picked this game up, haven't played any of the other ones in the series . Was just getting nostalia thinking of Sid Meiers Pirates! on Xbox, and was looking for something a little newer to try.

But what the hell is up with the controls? The fact that you can't rotate the camera with the mouse without your character turning in the same direction is ridiculous... I could probably get over that but the fact that you have to take your hand off the mouse to press enter to talk to somebody just seems horribly thought out.

So I checked the options menu and changed the action menu button from enter to "z" but even that didn't help at all as you still have to push enter to perform an action.

So am I missing something here? Is there a way to make it so you can look around without turning around? A way to initiate dialogue without having to press enter, line it up and backpedal if they're walking then press enter again?

If not can someone recommend a good pirate game with controls that aren't such a pain in the butt? As I was rather excited after reading the reviews but this is just to stressful

EDIT:
Just learned that you can click to talk to somebody if you're right up on them, had tried before but I guess I wasn't close enough... Gonna try to get used to the camera thing and see how things go from there

Last edited:
I don't have this game yet so don't know if it is the same, but try looking in your SDTEHO folder for program-->controls-->init.pc.c. You might find that useful.

Is there a way to make it so you can look around without turning around?
It is simple as a penny. Press Ctrl and move the mouse.

If not can someone recommend a good pirate game with controls that aren't such a pain in the butt?
If such little problem could cause a pain in your butt you would better find another game for relaxation.:)
SD:TEHO is mostly a hardcore game. It was developed for fans of the Sea Dogs / Age of Pirates series who are familiar with its gameplay.

Back