• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Annoying problem at shipyard

If you put that code I posted into your game, probably you'll immediately be able to talk to the guy again, because it now cares if you've got a rank with the shipyard owner's nation.

The new code looks good, EXCEPT...

IMHO, you should ALWAYS be able to trade with pirates, regardless of reputation.

It sounds good (i.e, pirate merchants won't talk to "good guys"), but in practice, this MIGHT effectively render pirate towns as "lame ducks" (i.e., the towns would serve no purpose and not be worth visiting) for players who go the "good guy" route. *IF* you could actually capture a pirate town, and run it as your OWN TOWN, then I might agree with the pirate code as posted above. Otherwise, the player MIGHT have no "fallback" / "default" trading partner (i.e., the pirates). And, there are already enough semi-hidden "you have to know this to play the game correctly" tricks in the game.

Also, do the reputation checks happen BEFORE or AFTER the checks for "COMMERCE LEVEL => 5"?

Just my 2 cents...

KevAtl

what about quest npc's? i would imagine that there's an alternative route for evil characters. i know it's the case with the smuggler quest in ex-falais de fleur (a nathaniel side-quest), but i haven't found any other instance.

Peter Blood, the file IS in PROGRAM\Characters\CharacterUtilite.c I assure you or your game wouldn't run. :no

Kevin Atlanta, I understand what you mean about being able to trade with the pirates. This was just an idea based on a discussion in another thread where somebody was asking about advantages of having a bad reputation. As far as I'm aware, there's not too many of them, so this was a thought to add one.

If you have a good reputation, then it's easy enough to go to non-pirate towns and trade with the shipyard and store owners there. Especially if you're a Hero, every nation will be willing to deal with you, despite your nation relations. Except the pirates, who require you to have a bad reputation with the new code.

There IS code in the game to allow you to capture pirate towns and other towns, but this feature is still somewhat bugged and unfinished and, as such, doesn't work properly just yet. However, if we manage to get Build 14 finished, you will be able to do that. :yes

The reputation checks happen before the commerce level check. Basically you will get the normal dialog if the reputation/relation checks return true. If these do not return true, the game checks if you've got a commerce level higher than 5 and, if so, you will get a dialog option in the "Get out" dialog to trade with the NPC, but double the price.

At the moment, I think the code indeed just checks the player's commerce skill. We could probably change it to check the whole party's total commerce skill though.

When I go to PROGRAM/Characters, the only files are

Init

Russian

Characters_names

Kindly disregard this comment, I did a broad search and found it.

Init isn't a file, but a folder. Russian probably is too, though I'm pretty sure that folder shouldn't exist in the first place anymore in Build 14 Beta 1. There's definitly more files than just characters_names.

Use the search function to find the "TradeCheck" function that's already in there.
Replace the whole function with the one from my post.

I founf the Utilite, but the file is SOOOO long! Where do I look for the function? Just give me a general idea like begining middle or end

if you are using notepad press 'ctrl+f' then type in 'TradeCheck' hit enter, and you should be there

Ive got the file saved now, Peter Blood can you please attach your save game file so I can do some testing? :?

sure thing.

This is my most recent savegame. I got it right after I was told to sink a pirate Barque off of Dowessen. I decided to stop at Oxbay along my way.

Darn! It says I am not allowed to upload it!

Back