• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release AOP COAS Rougher Sea's/Rolling Waves Release

Ellaface

Landlubber
An edit to all the times of day weather files to make the sea a lot more rolling & grand + increase the distance of the bow wave. This doesn't affect Port , or any other moor-able locations in the game.

The waves are quite large, default to that of the storm so clipping on smaller ships will occur :3
From what i have gathered you need to map sail out to sea then exit to direct sail for the waves to update ( i say this because i know some of you lovely people live in direct sail mode :D )

NEW: A less dramatic version is also available now. The main wave size in this version is halved and will suit smaller vessels better, A video of it in a Bounty class 7 ship will be up shortly.

NEW: Less Dramatic Furthered, if less dramatic was still too big for you , this is that version halved :D

I Imagine this will require GOF to function but dont hold me to that as im not entirely sure , i literally just poked the wave code with a stick untill it did what i wanted xD

Backup your weathers located in - AOP2/Program/weather/init (should be 7 files)

Download link's for both versions attached to this post :)

A thank you to : Hylie Pistof for trying it and finding one weather id hashed up horribly on his first test of it haha (great first impression >.>)

Admins: I cant seem to use the prefix "Mod Release" if you could edit the thread for me please and change it thatd be ace <3 Also as its somewhat a redundant post now as ive fixed the issue and made a proper release thread this one is somewhat redundant - http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/sea-sea-edits-coas.25121/ - feel free to delete it :)

Attachments

• COAS GOF Rougher Sea v1.1.rar
    17.9 KB · Views: 204
  • COAS GOF Rougher Sea - Less Dramatic v1.0.rar
    17.9 KB · Views: 204
  • COAS GOF Sea Less Dramatic Furthered v1.0.rar
    17.9 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I sailed around a bit last night and it seemed ok. It might be a bit much for the small ships at times tho. More testing needed.

One of my friends who knows code starting talking to me about being able to add random variables and such , as it stands its just theoretical but im thinking between us we may be able to code it so the main wave amplitude / ripple amplitude takes a value between 30-60 and ripples between say 2-6 . The default sea was at an amplitude of 6 and i think ripples were at an amplitude of 2. So if we can structure it right in terms of code it should be able to change between the values on the hour in game as and when you exit to sea (he said something about the hourly change code already existing) :O

A totally cool prospect indeed n_n Although allegedly a monstrous amount of work, we shall see what goes.

I have some free time tonight so i should in theory be able to piece together some files that are the opposite end of the random call id like to implement which should half the main wave size and bring back the smaller ripples to the sea surface more, ill chuck them up in the main post & send you a message when they're done , assuming all goes smoothly >.>

Last edited:
If I understand you correctly, that would require reinitializing the weather data very often.
Normally initialization files are loaded only at game start. A random element in those would mean you still keep that one random value for the remainder of that game.

I think id best link the thread to my friend haha , im about as code literate as "potato" but thanks :)

Made an update to the main post , a less dramatic version is also attached to it now with a video coming shortly :)

I tried the less dramatic one and it still seems pretty rough out there.
start 2015-06-05 08-40-32-92.jpg

If you like the general motion of the sea and speed it moves but it is solely the height of the waves that's your biggest bugbear the line of code you are looking for is :

Weathers[n].Sea2.Amp1 =

By default i think this is set to 6 , in Dramatic its set to 60, in Less Dramatic its 30. As ive already changed the pace and such for how fast the waves move the only effect from lowering the wave amp will be even less ship rock.

There are a lot of the amp value repeated in the weather documents Day / Evening / Morning / Night / Rain with regard to the general sea.

I hope i don't come across rude but i feel you can probably find a more suitable size due to personal taste by giving it a quick tweak. If you'd like me to say half it again down to 15 for you then i can do quick enough :)

Just let me know :)

Ya, that might work. The water is glass smooth when entering and leaving port and variable once away from land, but it would be nice to be able to shoot ships instead of just sails.

Of course I don't know where any of the settings are.

Done :) the files are on the main post , i figure it cant hurt to leave all the variables up to give people more of a choice , I cant say i noticed the lack of vision from on deck, i tend to fire in 3rd person, albeit i wait till im sat atop a wave or can actually see xD.

Port shouldn't be affected , i didn't want to change those, i just felt when you were way out at sea it was far too tame and more like a swimming pool in default xD

I wish i knew how to take the water splash when the bow hits a wave like in the storm :/ been trying as of late but no beuno :(

Back