• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

AOP II GOF conflicts with AVAST antivirus scanner and how to fix.

tcmbmnc

Sailor Apprentice
Longtime member (mainly reader) of this community. I just ran into an issue running AOP II with GOF installed. Thought I would post this just in case someone else encounters this as an issue. AOP II and GOF installed on Windows Vista (32 bit) I am using AVAST! for my antivirus needs. Game was working fine until my antivirus scanner was updated yesterday. I spent about 5-6 hours trying to run this one down and finally realized that the conflict started after my antivirus completed the latest update. This convflct includes stock AOP II with no mods installed. My antivirus was blocking the exe from running for some reason.

Here is the Solution if you are using AVAST! as your antivirus, Open AVAST! and click on the additional protection options on the left. then click on autosandbox and select settings.There is a section for file exclusions in the autosandbox, click on add and browse to find start.exe in your AOP II folder. Add this file to your exclusion list and you will now be able to play the game.

Thanks to the community for the never ending updates for these wonderful games. I have played the Build Mod for POTC for years. Looking forward to more updates for AOP II.

Ahoy tcmbmnc, thanks for the info mate! :dance

I have used Avast! myself for a while now, however the last several program updates it has steadily got more and more annoying, the constant advertising it does has just gotten to be to much for me. It has also become more and more troublesome in the way it handles what it considers to be a threat, I recently installed a Dell printer driver that it said had a Trojan in it that turned out to be just another false positive. This last update was the final straw for me, I finally just uninstalled it and installed Ad Aware's new beta and it has not annoyed me once.

Yes Add aware and spybot search and destroy are a good alternative I use those. Since Antivir is superstitious and full of false alarms which is truely annoying.

And thanks for the info tcmbmnc.

Hi

Jost in case you're looking for alternative security.......F-Secure is getting just as bad.....be warned.
I've had numerous games getting blocked from starting, then it won't let you terminate the program that was trying to start..... even in task manager. Solution, reboot & add program to allowed list,..... simple enough but annoying ,( that supposing F-secure doesn't say it's out of memory). .
If it's classing a game as harmfull, what's the point of just blocking the thing from starting when it let it install in the first place ?

Back