• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

High Priority Apothecary Quest Bugs ( contains Spoilers )

@Jack Rackham do you have a overview (in spoilers) of where all the items are located?

I intend to write a walkthrough for this part later. (if you like it)
There are in total 10 items (2 per 'guest'). Either in locked or open chests.
The chest keys are in the room downstairs. The most tricky item to find is the one
in the dark attic passage.

I intend to write a walkthrough for this part later. (if you like it)
There are in total 10 items (2 per 'guest'). Either in locked or open chests.
The chest keys are in the room downstairs. The most tricky item to find is the one
in the dark attic passage.
I was looking for the gear (the first item) but couldn't find it already. as far as I know I looked everywhere. Or do you mean with the "room downstairs" something else as the hotel itself?
the room labeled private I can't enter...

The 'private' room is only accessable from one of the hotel rooms upstairs.
The last one you get to (via the attic passage). A floor hatch here takes you downstairs to the private room.
And there you have the chest keys.

Returning to this
I too think it has some interesting elements if the rough spots/breaks can be removed without too much heartache.
four years on (and after disappearing for two years whilst emigrating) I think I have fixed most of the issues listed in @Jack Rackham 's spreadsheet (post 87) and from various other Mysterious Plants threads.

Still unresolved from the spreadsheet
Stopping the running indian doesn't work. If the apothecary is closed the issue of the four ingredients is unresolved. Neither are quest breakers.

There remain several improvements which could be implemented

Most glaring is the fact your ship might not be in port but the whole scenario assumes it is. So it would be improved by a condition for the Apothecary to require your ship there before he will progress things with you. It is a purely immersion not mechanics problem though - and at least your ship is placed in port (now by JRH) on your return from Cartagena because it should have been there all along - (may need to be your fleet?).

There are several points in the action where you might reasonably choose to return to the apothecary but he has no relevant dialogue at that point and just reverts to the standard lines.

After your crewmember is attacked right outside
After you have confirmed your ship is being watched
After you have followed the indian from the tavern to the warehouse (or possibly lost him).
I might look at these aspects too.

Your crew starving was because there were 20 day waittime breaks both before your ship was stored and after it was returned to account for the length of journeys back and forth, swapping those relationships cured that for pchar but I still haven't looked at companions. However I did add 12 hours to the first journey so you arrive in Cartagena during the day (partly because if at night since it it is fairly frequently hostile territory I suspect (and did you change your flag to a potential hostile for Bridgetown- IN PORT!! before the journey??), if you go to a tavern to wait, you tend to be caught by guards). Plus beggars still out on the streets overnight don't make too much sense either.

At the end if you have killed too many indians you are required to provide opium as compensation - I presume that the problems with carrying it were resolved here
is this is OK now? I think it should be, but I want to know if I'm still missing something. :facepalm
(but haven't tried that yet).

Finally, if you default on the opium delivery, indians would turn up at after the timer expired anywhere, anytime (even at sea) and lock the location - a great concept but one which could impact on other quests and storylines in rather an open manner so I have closed that for now (and put a note in the questbook where it would have happened asking for feedback when triggered).

Anyhow it should be much better behaved for now.

OH and sorry I think the files will need to be distributed manually, I seem to have forgotten how to get them all in a nice file structured tree!! - old age or what

EDIT see post 113 for updated files

Last edited:
@pedrwyth, I think you should help the person who is going to include your fine work by organizing it in folders.
I took a quick look but couldn't decide where to place those dialog files. That because some exist in several places.

@pedrwyth, I think you should help the person who is going to include your fine work by organizing it in folders.
I took a quick look but couldn't decide where to place those dialog files. That because some exist in several places.

Fair point and I would if I could remember how to get 7zip to do that. In the interim all the dialogues go into the main dialogue folder (with the.H files going into subfolder ENGLISH. I hadn't actually looked to see if there were replacement dialogues in individual storylines but it looks like just Jack Sparrow and two dialogues (GreenfordCommander and Father Jerald). I can't see JS running to the guards for help (he is CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow) so its probably apt that the options of doing that aren't there in that storyline, so JS will have to solve his own problems. I will work up the Father Jerald file to go with the improvements when I've done them. I will (hopefully) have reminded myself how to get nicely nested files in the zip by then.

Did you happen to also tackle this issue?
Need Help - New player: Help with a couple issues.
As you can see, I looked into it a tiny little bit; but quickly got lost in the woods...

No but it is simply that the cases you quoted are for various shades of quitting the quest. @Jack Rackham 's ending is the success line which doesn't call these so needs that delete attribute in Plants_end - I'll add that in too. It was of course set when you first start the quest in earnest long before the ghost action in Cartagena that he added and unless you have killed lots in the Collector subquest they are benign anyway so wouldn't be that obvious. The guards should still be watching your ship (it was a successful decoy ruse) when you return from Cartagena. They should then depart (beaten and frustrated) when you have handed the plants to Steven - unless because you have angered them they remain for one last attack before you sail - but easily avoided by fast travel to your ship - so a bit pointless and that's why I would put it in the last case of the quest and leave it at that.

Fair point and I would if I could remember how to get 7zip to do that.
?
You have to organize the files yourself. Then open 7zip and shrink the folder where everything is.
If you get problem I can help you with the last part.

OK -so by request here is a structured set of files. :type1Should have said they are for Mar 2020 version (but probably alright with earlier versions). I have included some of the minor tweaks (and not so minor impacts) so more recent than the earlier post files which I will take down. There should be a later post in due course when I have made the "improvements" but these should give anyone who feels like trying it a chance to point out what I have still missed :pirate07:whilst I am still engaged with it.

Attachments

• Apothecary.7z
    99.1 KB · Views: 242
No but it is simply that the cases you quoted are for various shades of quitting the quest. @Jack Rackham 's ending is the success line which doesn't call these so needs that delete attribute in Plants_end - I'll add that in too. It was of course set when you first start the quest in earnest long before the ghost action in Cartagena that he added and unless you have killed lots in the Collector subquest they are benign anyway so wouldn't be that obvious. The guards should still be watching your ship (it was a successful decoy ruse) when you return from Cartagena. They should then depart (beaten and frustrated) when you have handed the plants to Steven - unless because you have angered them they remain for one last attack before you sail - but easily avoided by fast travel to your ship - so a bit pointless and that's why I would put it in the last case of the quest and leave it at that.
Makes sense to me.
Thanks for checking. :doff

Does that mean that this issue would ALWAYS get triggered if the quest was completed as intended?
Because it was originally not finished?

Does that mean that this issue would ALWAYS get triggered if the quest was completed as intended?
Because it was originally not finished?
Looking at the old code (pre hotel extension) if completed as far as was written- Yes, but it was broken as well as unfinished since you couldn't get back to using your ship so you couldn't really find out that each return to Bridgetown would see the problem. When use of the ship was fixed the other issue could then come to light.

@Levis had already added a "give up at Cartagena" case which relates to meeting the "give_up_indian" there later- so I suspect he intended that pchar would always have to fetch opium as a recompense to the indians even IF you got the plants successfully at which point the guarding would cease.

His elements do tend to push actions onto pchar which tie into other streams. For instance I think he said the only reason he added the need to donate to the church at the start of mysterious plants was to draw attention to "something" which seemed to me to be "help the church". (Which actually my addition to help the player understand that the normal donation process is doing what is required for Plants partially cuts across that quest start at that point- hey ho!)

I think he said the only reason he added the need to donate to the church at the start of mysterious plants was to draw attention to "something" which seemed to me to be "help the church".
That sounds likely; he did a fair bit on that one too.
Together with @Jack Rackham and (a little bit) me too.
Was a fun period getting that all off the ground. :cheeky

Which actually my addition to help the player understand that the normal donation process is doing what is required for Plants partially cuts across that quest start at that point- hey ho!
hqdefault.jpg

Hey ho? :razz

:ahoyAfter a further overhaul of the elements in mysterious plants I think I have covered the issues related to the plants quest mentioned in these threads.

[4.1] Bugs in Apothecary Quest
Apothecary quest [spoilers]
Bugs in "Mysterious Plants"
Issues with Apothecary and Church sidequest
New player: Help with a couple issues.
Extra NPCs missing

As well as the problems mentioned in the wiki walkthrough and some extra problems found during fixing/testing.

In addition I have also added some "improvements" I previously mentioned.

Highlights are

Check your ship is in Greenford port before quest can start.
Dialogue (forced) during chase and a fix if you kill the spy during the chase.
Extra (optional) dialogues with Steven (some to reset the warehouse scene if you broke the chase).
Low chance of getting to buy a bow during collector quest even if you don't meet skills criteria. This gives a variation in dialogues with the indians (well I say dialogue but... more like a monologue)
Companion ships also stored during trip to Cartagena (to avoid starvation/mutiny issues).:drunk:rumgone

Finally I have added a merged Father Jerald dialogue file for the Jack Sparrow storyline,
as mentioned before I have NOT included the Greenford Commander here since Jack would not be seeking out the authorities!

However it is quite convoluted code and I may well have missed some combinations of possibilities so feel free to report anything that is still a problem.

Attachments

• Apothecary quest.7z
    105.6 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
I had to look into the code a little when adding the hotel part so I know what you had to go through! :bow

Back