• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Apparent Weird Effect With Smuggling

Skyworm

Privateer
Storm Modder
Cheers gents,

now for the first time I tried the new smuggling system. And I think it didn't work correctly. So, this happened:

I arrived at Puerto Rico, went to the tavern, talked to the smuggler. He told me to find out the right time. I did so by talking a guard in telling me. Back to the smuggler, who told me to meet me there. Then, I went to my ship and waited for the opportune time by talking to a crewman. I went to shore, and got a quest book update, the coast guard found me and I have to fight my way out. But no coast guard was seen. Instead, I met the smugglers and made my deal. Then the coastguard came, but they did not attack, neither me nor the smugglers. I went back to my ship and escaped. Questbook says that was successful smuggling.

Disturbing points are:
- coast guard was present despite I was there at the correct time
- coast guard ot interferring with smuggling

Hm. I remember, in earlier versions, before smuggling was changed, it was the officer of the guard who first talked and then attacked. Maybe the man who reached me first was but a simple soldier. I will test further.

Genereally, I think ths will be a lot more fun this way.:aar

Cheers gents,

now for the first time I tried the new smuggling system. And I think it didn't work correctly. So, this happened:

I arrived at Puerto Rico, ..............:aar

The beach on Puerto Rico ( Oyster bay - and wherever that beach model is used) has caused problems with the new Smuggling system in the past.

The coast guards in the new system used to generate far away from the smugglers ( I think on the other side of the ropebridge --- or at least somewhere near there ) so they took ages to get to the player - meaning the player could do the deal with the smugglers & get back to their ship before the coastguards got near enough to activate their dialog.

I thought @Levis had done some adjustments to make the coastguards spawn closer on that beach model.

Then the coastguard came, but they did not attack, neither me nor the smugglers. ...... Maybe the man who reached me first was but a simple soldier.

Also there is the problem with the bandits that are on that beach model - since the coastguards have to fight through those bandits to get to the player & Smugglers. Perhaps in your case the officer who is supposed to talk to you got killed by the bandits - and that caused the problems. :shrug

:duel:

Well I did not see any fighting between rogues and guards.

Also, the guards tend to come from far away on many coasts, I think this is usual, and not so bad, for you see them coming.

The guards can come from two places. They could come from land and from sea.
The captain of the guard should talk to you... also it's possible the guard gave you the wrong time, I believe I added a lie factor into his dialog, or maybe the best time to smuggle was this time but the island was under heavy guard so still there was a patrol and you where unlucky. I would need a savegame to be sure.

Just checked and the lie code is not there (anymore) ... now I'm not sure anymore if I added it or not :p.
I would like to see a savegame if possible

AH right, I managed it somewhere else.
Probably want to move that to the guard dialog instead. But indeed it could be you found yourself having some wrong information ;).

@Skyworm I will take a look at puerto rico, but could you test it at another location for me and see if the same problems occur?
The false information is not a bug but it could indeed be the location at puerto rico has some problems for the coastguard

Cheers mate,

I already did. I smuggled in Bonaire, Martinique, La Grenade and will do in Barbados tonight.
In fact, I now strongly believe yolu are right, that the officer just gave me a misinformation. I now have seen several ways that dialogue may go on, and now I think the one I had at Puerto Rico was most likely a misinformation.
So I believe anything is fine now.

Unfortunately, I have to update this.

As a matter of fact, at my testetd smuggling runs I was not caught by the coastguard. Now, at Martinique, this happened.

So, what happened:
When I approached the smugglers or short after the deal with them - that seems to be random, I tested it twice - I got the questbook update that the coastguard cought me and I'll have to fight my way out. Since the guards - only two of them, poor fellows - came from the road to the town, it took them forever to reach me, so I could do my deals undisturbed.
But when the officer of the guard finally reached and talked to me, I got an empty chat window, he was saying nothing, and also, he did not attack.

So, I think the dialogue of the officer where it was possible to either bribe him or fight him is no longer present.

Sorry I don't have better news.:rumgone

Also, the poor soldiers didn't even fight back when attacked by me. So I cut them down and got a patrol book. That, to my surprise, revealed that the officer in the tavern told me the truth, 'cause he said that it would be safe from 12:10 to 14:10.

That's strange isn't it?

Attachments

• 16 - patrol book.jpg
    16 - patrol book.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Seems @Jason replied after it also that the bug still remains.
Guess I have to wait with making the zip a little bit longer so I can fix this. So the new zip will be tonight then.

Back