• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Architectura Navalis Pl XLII No. 5: Packet Sloop

The Hoy was indeed a PotC model that Captain Murphy put into CryEngine back in the days just to have a small boat to test with.
So my thinking was that your vessel could serve nicely as our "Unity small boat to test with". :cheeky

It's pretty low quality! Getting it to the proper standards would take a lot of work- It's nowhere near the original hoy in detail and the hoy's been upgraded.

There's the hull finished as far as I'm going. I'll do the rig tonight or Monday night then upload.
Chapman2.png

Well that's done except for the shrouds. I'll most likely have it up by Monday since I've got sailing all this weekend.
Chapman sloop done minus shrouds.png

And I just realized I forgot to mirror a cylinder on the fancy bit of the beginning of the taff rail. (right behind the shrouds and backstay) It's on starboard but not on port, in case anyone wants to get this in the game.

Ooh, I like how far you've progressed with this! Hopefully it makes it way into the storm engine....No need for a commitment, but if you wanted to toy with completing this (at your own pace) to Chapman's original specifications and slightly higher detail as an exercise to learn shipbuilding/modeling methods, it could be a very welcome addition to HoO :yes

If I ever get the time! I've also wanted to make a pilot boat model that has much better potential of making it into HoO since those vessels were so simple and cheaply produced. If we get a good standard parts catalog running it might be good enough even where I am now.

My main motive is getting it in 3d because I've been toying with some modern yacht designs based on that model, but I do want to hand it over here as well.

Do you have plans earmarked of a 7yw era (pre 1765) pilot boat? Otherwise this will be a better bet. The decks would have to be built to their planned heights, and headrails and transom completed(though likely it would be permissible if some of the most ornate bits of gingerbread were omitted) standard parts could certainly help you out, particularly with the interior! :)

I'm not sure if the plans for such a vessel exist. The one I have in mind is 1790's. Like I said, though, I'm doing that one for personal and academic interest and leaving the model here for the storm games. That might make it into HoO when we get to that point since the construction of the vessel calls for minimal detail.

Here's a good texture guide in case anyone wants to put it in game, these aren't the right textures and they only look good from REALLY far away, but the colors are about right.

Will there be a new build coming out any time soon? (I guess are there enough people working on it to make it feasible?) If so I can also do the pilot boat a bit more quickly than I normally would. It would make a great small privateer or starting vessel for the Napoleonic period when armed with one or two guns. I don't know about putting one gun on a pivoting mount like there would have been since it won''t actually be able to pivot, but I'll see what I can think of.

Chapman sloop color.png chapmansloopcolor2.png

Is the keel supposed to be black below the waterline? This is something that has bothered me with other ships before, and I was never sure if it was a texturing error or historically accurate.

It should be white, honestly, but I was doing this so quickly that I just made the entire thing black. Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot to say so!

Back