• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Are there any mods that can improve game performance?

Val

Landlubber
When I first started playing with the GoF mod (version 2) it worked perfectly, throughout the Blood storyline I had not a single problem. That is, until I got into the first ship (the Spanish one you use to escape) and all of a sudden the FPS plummeted!

As it is I tired the typical fixes, decreasing quality across the board, decreasing resolution, but it seems nothing works. I don't know, maybe I am just missing something, but hopefully there is a mod out there that can help me, or something.

Thanks!

@Hylie Pistof, could this problem somehow have magically appeared in CoAS now?
That sounds quite impossible. That would mean it has nothing to do with any modded code changes at all.
Must be an engine/hardware/software update/settings issue if that is truly the case.

I have not played GOF2 for a few months, but for me it runs very well on land and at sea. I would suspect a hardware problem in this case.

Val, what is your hardware? Are you using a laptop?

I don't think it is CoAS-compatible, no. Probably the old SwitfShader required, if you can still find it.

I tried swiftshader, I saw it mentioned in an older post here, but I don't think it worked. I hear mention of a watermark, but that never appeared for me. Besides, I think all that was wrong was that the first ship is so unbelievably slow that I thought my FPS crashed. After waiting it out, everything seems to be fine now.

Although, I always do like squeezing out every extra bit of performance that I can, and it is still a bit choppy at times. Perhaps someone can help me with the swiftshader thing?

Imbedded onboard Intel graphic chipsets make CoAS run like complete $#%@.
You first handling "unbelievably slow" is partially due to the captain skills and available crew.
My bet is you were playing Peter Blood and the Arabella.
Later the complete opposite can happen even with "realistic" as some ships will handle like motorboats in wind speeds.

It is only going to get worse the more you play, regarding battles at sea.
Large fleet battles require a respectable system (laptop or base) due to lack of optimization in the game engine.

Actually the things you can do to improve performance is this:

-set fullscreen in engine.ini to 0, but set the width and height to your desktop resolution (fake fullscreen)
-turn off post processing ingame (ugly blur effect but nothing much more)
-if you have a machine with more than 2gb of ram, use a 4gb patcher. I use the one I linked to this post, Large Address aware, feel free to use it. Use it on start.exe
-stop all programs/ processes via ctrl+alt+delete and process manager that you do not need, or use a Gamebooster program. There are severeal around
-Use any memory manager. Google it like game performance memory manager

For the first blink that's it. If I can think about anything more, I'll post it here.

Attachments

• Large Address Aware.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 160
Back