• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Armor Project

You are the only currently active person here who I know has the most experience with using Maya for PotC at all.
If you can't be of much help here, then I do not know who would.
I was referring to the original question being present tense, rather than "Who is still active who has used Maya with PotC before".
Anyway, the most I can do is finish writing a tutorial and offer advice. I can't really commit to exporting content for PotC any more, unless it's an exceptional circumstance like a quick repair job.

@superdurnius: May I ask, what's to stop you from installing Maya 5.0 and exporting the models yourself? Are you unfamiliar with the export process?
I've used newer versions of Maya to create models and import them into Maya 5.0 for the GM export before, so you're not limited to solely using the older version.
The main thing you have to do in Maya 5.0 is place the locators. I found that using and old version of FBX works when exporting from new Maya, but things like locators aren't carried over when importing into 5.0.

I was referring to the original question being present tense, rather than "Who is still active who has used Maya with PotC before".
Anyway, the most I can do is finish writing a tutorial and offer advice. I can't really commit to exporting content for PotC any more, unless it's an exceptional circumstance like a quick repair job.

@superdurnius: May I ask, what's to stop you from installing Maya 5.0 and exporting the models yourself? Are you unfamiliar with the export process?
I've used newer versions of Maya to create models and import them into Maya 5.0 for the GM export before, so you're not limited to solely using the older version.
The main thing you have to do in Maya 5.0 is place the locators. I found that using and old version of FBX works when exporting from new Maya, but things like locators aren't carried over when importing into 5.0.
What else is exported with fbx? Are animations are exported with fbx?

What else is exported with fbx? Are animations are exported with fbx?
They should be, if you select the right settings. The problem is whether Maya 5.0 will actually recognise them.
Take locators as an example. They are technically saved in the FBX file, but Maya 5.0 interprets them as groups or empty objects due to compatibility issues.
I tried other means of getting a model from newer Maya into 5.0, including an attempt to fool it into reading the newer MA files, but they didn't work. FBX came out as the best compromise.

They should be, if you select the right settings. The problem is whether Maya 5.0 will actually recognise them.
Take locators as an example. They are technically saved in the FBX file, but Maya 5.0 interprets them as groups or empty objects due to compatibility issues.
I tried other means of getting a model from newer Maya into 5.0, including an attempt to fool it into reading the newer MA files, but they didn't work. FBX came out as the best compromise.
Matter is, that I'm no good with maya. I model with Softimage. And maya have totally "Opposite" of controls. Even camera controls are different than Softimages. I don't feel comfortable working with maya 2015 and even less comfortable with 5.0.

With fbx, I can export fbx from softimage. That's the file format I'm using to send weapons to Trunks.

And I never did actually managed to export any of the locators while exporting to gm.

What did maya 5.0 recognized from fbx? Didn't recognized locators? What about bone structure and bone bindings?

Ah, sorry, I assumed you were comfortable using Maya.

I have never tried exporting bone structures to Maya 5.0, so I can't say whether it will work or not. You'd have to try that yourself.
As for exporting to GM with locators, that's actually quite easy. You just need to select all the locators (but not the geometry) when choosing Export Selection.

Ah, sorry, I assumed you were comfortable using Maya.

I have never tried exporting bone structures to Maya 5.0, so I can't say whether it will work or not. You'd have to try that yourself.
As for exporting to GM with locators, that's actually quite easy. You just need to select all the locators (but not the geometry) when choosing Export Selection.
how do you import fbx to maya 5.0?

Same way you would with newer versions, using File > Import. If you don't already have it, here's the FBX plug-in to place in Maya5.0 > bin > plug-ins.
Activate it in Window > Settings/Preferences > Plug-in Manager, and you should see it as an option in the Import menu.

Attachments

• fbxmaya50.7z
    676.4 KB · Views: 185
Back