• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Arnaud Matton during Quest for O'reilly affected by relation

Redbeard

Sailor
Hello! Im brand new to POTC. My experience with this series extends to a few hours with Aop2 CoAS. Ive never tried playing the nathanial hawk campaign.

I think I may have encountered a bug? Or am I doing the quest wrong?

Smuggling for Thomas O'Reilly. At least I think this is the quest. After talking to the govenor of Port Royale, and being told I work for the English, I went to the trader named Thomas O'Reilly. He told me to make a delivery to Arnaud Matton in St. Pierre on Martinque. There wasn't any mention of smuggling, but I can't imagine what else I would be doing. ;) I snuck through the jungle and entered the town at night. I spent a few hours in a local's house and in the morning I went to the trader. Arnaud Matton was the trader's name, but he only tells me to get the hell out before he calls the guard! I can't finish this sidequest and I'm unsure of what I did wrong.

I have the latest build 4.1 Beta Wip or whatnot.

It should be noted I have never played the base POTC game, so this is completely blind, I have never played this campaign.

Any ideas? Or should I try playing the game without New Horizons first?

Hello everybody.
Smuggling - there is no dialogue with the patrol on the beach.
Thank you.
28 july 2016 + 24 august 2016
Do you have a save from which to replicate that?

Also, @Levis.

Arnaud Matton was the trader's name, but he only tells me to get the hell out before he calls the guard! I can't finish this sidequest and I'm unsure of what I did wrong.
What is your nation relation to France and what is your reputation?
That affects whether he would trust you or not.

@Pieter Boelen yes it does, but for quest purposes he should always have the questline at least.
Probably this has to be taken out from the tradecheck

Why? That's what 'TradeCheck' is specifically meant to do.

I think the quest will remain active until you DO fulfill the conditions for him to talk to you.
Your only on a mission for Thomas there. Your just the delivery boy, nothing else (if I remember right). So your relation shouldn't be the one which is checked here I believe.

Regular cargo quests can always completed, regardless of nation relations, reputation or otherwise.
But this isn't a regular cargo quest.

@Redbeard: If you have a savegame standing in front of Matton, being unable to complete the quest, please post it here.

Hello! Im brand new to POTC. My experience with this series extends to a few hours with Aop2 CoAS. Ive never tried playing the nathanial hawk campaign.

I think I may have encountered a bug? Or am I doing the quest wrong?

Smuggling for Thomas O'Reilly. At least I think this is the quest. After talking to the govenor of Port Royale, and being told I work for the English, I went to the trader named Thomas O'Reilly. He told me to make a delivery to Arnaud Matton in St. Pierre on Martinque. There wasn't any mention of smuggling, but I can't imagine what else I would be doing. ;) I snuck through the jungle and entered the town at night. I spent a few hours in a local's house and in the morning I went to the trader. Arnaud Matton was the trader's name, but he only tells me to get the hell out before he calls the guard! I can't finish this sidequest and I'm unsure of what I did wrong.
Arnaud Matton, like any storekeeper or shipyard owner, won't do business with enemies of his nation. Be flying a French or Spanish flag before you moor (you can't change flag once you're ashore), then perhaps he'll be more receptive - if he believes your false flag, that is.

This isn't the smuggling side quest, it's a straight cargo delivery. Once you've completed it, Thomas O'Reily may trust you with the smuggling quest. But be careful because there are several other side quests which start in St. Pierre, a couple of which involve breaking up the St. Pierre smuggling gang. If you've completed these then you won't get "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" because there's nobody left to smuggle to. (Personally I prefer to do these side quests and skip "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" because the payoff is immediate, meaning you get the money at a time when it's more likely to be useful.)

Arnaud Matton, like any storekeeper or shipyard owner, won't do business with enemies of his nation. Be flying a French or Spanish flag before you moor (you can't change flag once you're ashore), then perhaps he'll be more receptive - if he believes your false flag, that is.
That should help, yes. :onya

This isn't the smuggling side quest, it's a straight cargo delivery.
How do you know it is already in the first part and not the second part?
Though I assume... it is probably consistent, so since it happens, it would indeed also happen the first time.

But be careful because there are several other side quests which start in St. Pierre, a couple of which involve breaking up the St. Pierre smuggling gang. If you've completed these then you won't get "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" because there's nobody left to smuggle to.
And as per the Beta 4.1 WIP, you are now informed of that in the dialog to avoid confusion! :dance

That should help, yes. :onya

How do you know it is already in the first part and not the second part?
Though I assume... it is probably consistent, so since it happens, it would indeed also happen the first time.
Because @Redbeard hasn't mentioned already doing the first part. And because other things happen at the beach if you're doing the smuggling quest. ;)

Ok, this may be a huge misunderstanding on my part.

I assumed that this quest ran parallel to the main storyline. I assumed that it accounted for the fact that I had just escaped ....splighttown? Spighttown? the first town. Because I reported to the governor of Port Royale, and became his agent, I am now wanted by France. As such they are considered 'hostile' as part of the storyline. I guess I just assumed that this quest could be done alongside the main quest because it mentions the invasion of martinque.

However, before I upload any saves, I will try changing my flag and seeing what happens. :)

You're probably going to need to use a false flag at least once in the main story, quite soon in fact, so you may as well get into the habit. ;)

In this time period, Britain, Portugal and Holland are allied; France and Spain are allied; and the two alliances are at war with each other. You started off at Speightstown so you're British, and that's why France doesn't like you. So you should be able to enter Portuguese and Dutch ports, as well as British of course, without any trouble. But to enter any French or Spanish town, you'll either need to land at a beach and walk, or use a false flag, and you'll need a false flag anyway if you intend to do any business with French or Spanish stores and shipyards. Street traders don't care, they'll trade with anyone, but there's a problem with the way equipment is set up for sale which means if you land at the beach then neither street traders nor the store have any equipment. So you're generally better off to use a false flag and go into port.

Grey Roger, does that bug also apply to if you land at one port and walk to another (ie, land at spreightown and walk to bridgetown)? Just curious so I can know to avoid doing so if so. :)

It's no bug it's a feature :sail

I was referring to this part of Grey Roger's post: "there's a problem with the way equipment is set up for sale which means if you land at the beach then neither street traders nor the store have any equipment."

That's intentional?

So.... does anything need to be done to allow you to complete this quest once you've started it, just like with a regular Cargo Quest?

I assumed that this quest ran parallel to the main storyline.
Nah, it's just a regular sidequest.

Street traders don't care, they'll trade with anyone, but there's a problem with the way equipment is set up for sale which means if you land at the beach then neither street traders nor the store have any equipment.
Really? Please put that on the bug tracker!
I know there is the "is fleet in port" check, but I had no clue it had that effect. :facepalm

That's intentional?
No, it's not. First I heard of it! :shock

Can confirm, landing on the beach their basiaclly removes all items from traders inventories.

I did get the quest done by changing my flag, and have moved on in the storyline to the smuggling parts. Or part of them, I didn't feel like chasing a ship down commiting piracy, just to smuggle my haul into another town. But I was successful in completing the quest.

No, it's not. First I heard of it! :shock
I'm sure the lack of equipment for sale if you enter port via a beach has been mentioned before. It's certainly nothing new. I've a vague memory that the explanation last time was that equipment for sale is only initialised when you dock at the port. Likewise, street traders (and random walkers who want to trade equipment) have 0 gold so you can't sell anything to them either.

I'm sure the lack of equipment for sale if you enter port via a beach has been mentioned before. It's certainly nothing new. I've a vague memory that the explanation last time was that equipment for sale is only initialised when you dock at the port. Likewise, street traders (and random walkers who want to trade equipment) have 0 gold so you can't sell anything to them either.
Regardless of whether it was mentioned before, the message never reached me and there isn't a bug tracker entry for it.

What IS on the bug tracker is this: Confirmed Bug - Item traders having to much or to few goods and money | PiratesAhoy!
I investigated that for a bit before, but I don't think that is quite the same issue.

Back