• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Assassin Storyline Ship Use

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
As I've suggested before, I'd like to go through all storylines and put all our new high-detail ship models to good use where appropriate.
To get a better overview, here's the list of ships used in the Assassin storyline:

Johan Elting captaining Neptunis (Barque4_47)
Johan Elting captaining El Diablo (XebecAS)
Johan Elting captaining Santiago (FastCaravel)

Enrique Padilla captaining Gloriosa (SP_Galeon50)
Aurelien Bergerat captaining La Fougueuse (FR_SoleilRoyal)
Nicholas Butcher captaining The Insatiable (Xebec1)
Roche Brasiliano captaining Quick Death (PiratFastGal)
Rabel Chardon captaining Joyeuse (FR_LightPinnace) - Roxanne Lalliere's ship?
Jeremy Tripper captaining Magnificent (RN_RevengeW)
Clement Bossicar captaining La Precieuse (Lineship47)
Wilfred Larner captaining The Bulldog (PO_Caravel50)
Bartolomeu o Portugues captaining Santiago (FastCaravel)
Henry Morgan captaining Jamaica Merchant (RN_WarGalleon)
Roxanne Lalliere captaining La Diablesse (FR_LightPinnace) - Different from Bartolomeu storyline?
"Diablo" captaining El Diablo (XebecAS)

Gilles Chennault (French_Captain1) captaining La Couronne (FR_Couronne)
Aimery Bourgouin (French_Captain2) captaining La Licorne (FR_Licorne)
Guibert d'Aigreville (French_Captain3) captaining Le Foudrayant (FR_WarGalleon)
Barnabas Delbridge (English_Captain2) captaining Indefatigable (HMS_Indefatigable) - Note: name without HMS
David Fewster (English_Captain3) captaining HMS Mordaunt (HMS_Mordaunt)
Laurence Damson (English_Captain4) captaining Impartial (RN_WarGalleon)

"Spanish Captain2" captaining Rio del Plata (Galeon50)
Grigorio Cadena (Spanish Captain3) captaining Madragal (SP_Galeon50)
Bautista Lozano (Spanish Captain1) captaining La Galiza (GaleonWar)
"Spanish Captain4" captaining El Castillo (GaleonWar)
"Dutch Captain" captaining Westfriesland (NL_Batavia) - Dutch Ship in Playa de Sabana

"Sneak barque" captaining Le Malicieux (TartaneWar)

I don't know this storyline very well, but this sticks out like a sore thumb:
Barnabas Delbridge (English_Captain2) captaining Indefatigable (HMS_Indefatigable) - Note: name without HMS
The storyline starts in 1665, so this ship should definitely NOT have an appearance. :no
I'm guessing that she was used because she used to be a pinnace, but now that she's a proper frigate, we need a replacement.
What purpose does the ship have? It's hard to know what should replace her.

She's part of a large staged battle containing the following characters and their ships:
Gilles Chennault (French_Captain1) captaining La Couronne (FR_Couronne)
Aimery Bourgouin (French_Captain2) captaining La Licorne (FR_Licorne)
Guibert d'Aigreville (French_Captain3) captaining Le Foudrayant (FR_WarGalleon)
Jeremy Tripper captaining Magnificent (RN_RevengeW)
David Fewster (English_Captain3) captaining HMS Mordaunt (HMS_Mordaunt)
Laurence Damson (English_Captain4) captaining Impartial (RN_WarGalleon)

They all show up at the same time, so I suppose we should adjust the ships so that both fleets sort-of fit together.
La Couronne used to be the Soleil Royal until we temporarily removed that ship from the game due to her still being somewhat buggy.

Hmm, I still don't really know what to replace the Indefatigable with. I would say a stock frigate, but technically that's still too modern.
If she started off as a pinnace though, maybe we could use one of the new pinnace models, such as Pgargon's upgraded LightPinnace (when ported)?
I've taken a look at that ship and am hugely impressed at how much it has been improved! :woot

BTW, there shouldn't be any 'HMS' prefixes to any ships' names in this period, so HMS Mordaunt should just be Mordaunt.

If she started off as a pinnace though, maybe we could use one of the new pinnace models, such as Pgargon's upgraded LightPinnace (when ported)?
I'm right in the middle of doing that.

Fleet.wmv - The ship the camera pans around is the Galeon5; this is a low-detail ship model that has been removed from the game and replaced for all intents and purposes with the RN_Revenge versions

lineship.wmv - This ship is the low-detail AoP lineship model; we have removed this one from the game as well. For scenic purposes, I put the FR_SoleilRoyal to use here instead.
After all, she used to be in use elsewhere in the storyline until we had to drop her and change her to La Couronne, so I put her to use here instead.
She's still a little big buggy, but at least she'll look pretty going down.

That's the only ships I can recognize that will cause some discrepancies between the game and the videos. :facepalm

About the fleet video, it' s not a big trouble to change a ship.

About the lineship video, I will have to do a new one before you release the final build 14.

Sorry about that; at least if we decide on what ships to use properly, you won't end up having to do it again after that.

I haven't yet made any changes for this storyline. Any specific thoughts of what could/should be done for Beta 2? There's still time now.

This is all I can think of that urgently needs changing:
Hmm, I still don't really know what to replace the Indefatigable with. I would say a stock frigate, but technically that's still too modern.
I've taken a look at that ship and am hugely impressed at how much it has been improved! :woot

BTW, there shouldn't be any 'HMS' prefixes to any ships' names in this period, so HMS Mordaunt should just be Mordaunt.
Other than that, I don't know what to do about Rabel Chardon's ship, so maybe we should leave it as-is for now?

I'm replacing:
Joyeuse (FR_LightPinnace) with Belleville (FR_Derfflinger)
Indefatigable (HMS_Indefatigable) with Unicorn (HMS_Unicorn)

Any more thoughts?

Indefatigable (HMS_Indefatigable) with Unicorn (HMS_Unicorn)
The storyline starts in 1665, so the Unicorn is still too modern! :urgh
Like I said, the Indy used to be a pinnace, which would explain her use here, so it should be a pinnace used to replace her, no?

STILL too modern? But then when we wanted to use her before, she was too old. It's always something, isn't it? :whipa
How about RN_WarGalleon?

RN_WarGalleon should be fine, yes. :onya
I think the Unicorn only fits in with the Golden Age of Piracy and Colonial Powers time periods, so that's where we can put her to use, at least.

Back