• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Assembling Mod Team

Ahoy Lambar, welcome aboard mate! :dance

Our modding efforts for AOP are pretty much nonexistant any more. We haven't really done anything for AOP for several years, partially because of Starforce, but there are other reasons as well. All of our modding efforts these days are focused on finishing up New Horizons Build 14 for Pirates of The Caribbean and our Gentlemen of Fortune mod for Age of Pirates 2 : City of Abandoned Ships. Our current plans are to eventually combine the two mods and polish them up, fix the flaws that we can in the Storm 2.8 source code, and hopefully release the combined effort as a full blown game.

First person view would be intriguing but in my opinion, I think it would be quite impractical for sailing or fighting at sea, at least in the Storm engine. I am not trying to discourage you from modding AOP, you are more than welcome to hang around and try if you like, but there really isn't likely to be a whole lot of activity in the AOP modding forums. Starforce really put a lot of people off of AOP, your talents and your efforts might be better applied to other projects mate.

Hi Thagarr,

Many thanks for your swift reply.

I've realised that I posted my request in the wrong section (doh!).

How can I get involved in 'Gentlemen of Fortune mod for Age of Pirates 2 : City of Abandoned Ships' mod group?

I'm playing it now. Wow, fantastic job guys!

I think 1st person could work (some values may have to be tweaked to maybe make things easier for the player (e.g. In sea battles the player's given more time to react).

I have many other ideas to improve the game, mainly for immersion, as this is where AoP CoAS is better than any other Pirate game I've seen. It's the realism of sailing and fighting at sea that I'm into making as realistic, but highly playable and intuitive, as possible.

I'm new to this site and the game really although I've dabbled for a few months but have always been put off by the 3rd person fighting, inability to sail directly from port to port, lack of proper docks and docking (auto-pilot ability to be gained?). If this could be done i.e. 1st person mode, then I'd be playing it constantly.

Is there a way of letting me know when you've replied without me having to find or keep checking this post again (took me a while to back-track after posting yesterday). I saw something called 'bulleting' in one post but don't really understand the procces.

cheers, Lambar

BTW started to edit the text files to make them more 'Piratey', correct grammer, more adult etc. I haven't added to the lists, just edited the lines already there (as I'd imagine the text needs to stay in a certain order and number of lines?

e.g. For a bit of fun I've written the following that could be added for the player. Hope none of it offends (there'd have to be a 'clean' and adult version :)

Talking in Brothels or on street to women:

I've sailed th' seven seven seas, 'n ye're th' sleekest schooner I've ever clapped me eyes upon.

Squark! Polly want a cracker?

Want to spy wit' ye eye a cock that would make a wooden pegleg swoon!

Bin got more than a weevil between me legs.

That's th' finest booty I've ever laid eyes on. Let's get together 'n haul some keel.

That's some treasure chest ye've got thar me beauty.

Avast, me proud beauty!

I be needin' to spend all nightfall wit' ye 'til th' cockerel crows or me cockerel can crow no more!

Wanna be knowin' why me Roger be so Jolly?

Have ya ever met a scurvy dog wit' a real yardarm? Well ye has now!

Come on up 'n spy me 4lb cannon balls wit' ye own eyes.

Yarr, that be a hornpipe in me pocket 'n I be grog-filled to spy wit' ye eye ye.

I'd lust to drop anchor in ye lagoon.

Avast, but would ya mind if I fired me cannon through ye porthole?

How'd ye like to scrape th' barnacles off 'o me rudder?

Ya be knowin', darlin', I be without th' Pox.

You look ye'd blow a fair wind. Would ye blow me fer a price?

Prepare to be boarded!

No problem at all mate, I figured that is probably what happened. PA is a big place and gets confusing easily! We are always welcome to new ideas, and I am sure the GOF modding group will very much welcome your contributions!

The best way to get started modding is to just hang around the forums for a bit, read what other modders are upto. Once you find something that interests you, just introduce yourself and jump right in mate! Once you show an interest and ability, the Mods and modders will notice and most likely will invite you join the modders group, that's when the real fun starts! I have worked on a few mods myself over the years, but I am no coder by any means, and my talents have been put to use elsewhere. We do have a few here who are good at what they do, and they are always interested in helping. We are a world wide forum, so there are people literally from all over, so things are a bit slower paced here than some other modding forums. We have no deadlines here, and the only pressure to get something done should only come from yourself. Sometimes we set gaols, but they are hardly ever met and mainly just designed to keep the work flowing. In other words mate, don't put pressure on yourself and just enjoy modding as a hobby, a way to relax and have fun!

At the top of the page, in the upper right corner of the forum thread, there should be an option button that says "Watch Topic", if you click on that it will take you to your profile notification options. There you can set it to be notified by email at the address you used to sign up to the forums, you can also just set it to be notified only on the bottom right side of the forum page where it says "Watched Content", so you are not deluged with emails.

In Build 14 for POTC, we do have the ability to sail from island to island without using the overhead map. Something that the original designers of the game told us we would never be able to do! I believe that has also now been added to CoAS, but I think there were a few quirks they were working out, but I am not really sure. Even after years of modding, there are still many parts of these games that need polishing, just please keep in mind that this is a family friendly forum, though we do get carried away a bit sometimes, the brothel was an idea Akella got from us as well! :wp

Again mate, welcome aboard and fair winds in your modding efforts. If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask! :dance

Hi ye scurvy knave :)

Again, many thanks for your prompt reply.

Tis a pity (re your comments) as there's no other Pirate game that has the 'feel' that the combination of AoP and GOF has.

I predict (because I know the business) that unless others 'step up to the plate' (hey I'm becoming Americanised :) like a modding team who'll do it themselves, then there won't be a well designed, reasonably historically accurate, intelligent, adult Pirate game until Bethseda gets involved about 5 years from now. But maybe I'm just an old pessimist.

I have so many ideas on paper to improve this as a game for wannabe pirates. Oh well....

BTW. I've tried 1st person sea combat several times, and yes it's not as easy but, it sure as hell is more exciting, visceral and immediate (as if you're really there on that ship waiting for a cannon ball to strike or willing your cannon crew to reload ASAP).

Once you get used to moving around your ship's deck in 1st P then it, for me, takes on a different feel from playing in 3rd P.

Anyway, less Pirates for now, I'm knackered as they say over in Blighty. Time for bed......soonish.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm intrigued as to to the plans/design for finishing off PotC mod and Aop CoAS (phew, I think I got the acronyms correct) so please keep in touch. Or if any script writing or design work is required then I may be interested.

TRY 1ST PERSON, especially on board, IT'S DIFFERENT and 'in your face' but more challenging. Use the RH mouse button to move around the deck ... or am I telling my Granny how to suck eggs? :)

"All's well at 2 o'clock"

Starforce?????? Please explain.

Should I really just give up and move on?????? Seems such a missed opportunity to develop a truly great Pirate mod.

You mentioned that 'the team' is working towards a Pirate game. Can you divulge anything else?

cheers,

Pete

Greetings,

Tis the Limey again.

Thanks for Watch Topic advice, will be more observant in future hopefully :) But will probably forget and have to read yr message a few times (had a few tankards of Grog too, which makes things more difficult!)

Please let me know if replying to me is taking too much of your time as I already appreciate your replies and don't want to be a newbie pain, I won't be offended.

I'll plough on as if you don't mind for now.

Where'd the GOF team 'virtually' meet'? Are you part of the team?

I totally agree with your advice re relaxing and modding.

I used to have to 'push' my development team all of the time in the nicest way as possible (as I'm not a bastard I suppose) due to management never giving a practical time-scale.

I had to be so 'tuned' to getting the best possible game in the shortest time, as part of my career (the bit I hated) so it's hard to change overnight, chillax.

I'm missing that creative input and seeing daily movement on a project but not missing the constant stress.

BTW. Really appreciate your friendly and quick replies to my Newbie posts.

I see you come from Steeler County, Illionois and you're a Steelers fan!

Well I'm a Steeler's fan too. But it's a small Ice Hockey team in Sheffield, UK not a Football team! Not that I've been to see them for a few years....

You say ... "In Build 14 for POTC, we do have the ability to sail from island to island without using the overhead map" Is this not possible in GOF1.1/2?

And ....... "Again mate, welcome aboard and fair winds in your modding efforts. If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask!" Really appreciate your welcome. You are a Star, many thanks mate.

cheers me hearty!

Pete

I meant to post the links to the other forums in my previous post sorry mate, it slipped my mind! You can find the GOF mod team HERE! Just jump right in when you feel comfortable mate. We do have sections of the forums that are only available to Modders, but you need to prove yourself a bit to have access to that section, but with your experience that should only be a matter of time.

You also might want to read through THIS, it explains a bit about where we are headed with Build 14 and GOF, but it is a bit of a long read mate.

I hope you didn't misunderstand my comments about being family friendly, sometimes I don't explain myself to well. There are adult themes and situations throughout both GOF and Build 14, but they are dealt with more subtly and not blatantly forced into situations. By all means, discuss your ideas with some of the modders hanging around the forums! They are much more familiar with what is acceptable than I am.

I think the ability to sail between islands has been added to GOF, but I am not sure what the state of play is, it has been a while since I have actually had the free time to play myself. I am not officially part of the mod team, but I do have access to the modding forums because I have done some modding work in the past. For instance, I helped with the Complete Sailors Guide to Privateering. I also helped put together the manual for New Horizons Build 14. Plus it helps me to be able to post accurate stories about the mods on the front page if I have access to everything.

Aye, I am indeed Steeler fan, and I'll be one till they plant me! A hockey team eh? interesting, I never was much of a hockey fan though, I never really could get into it. :shrug

Hi,

thanks again mate.

I'll look into what you've suggested.

Hopefully we'll our ships will meet in a port somewhere soon.

Signing off for now, I'll hopefully appear on the GOF modding site at some point.

cheers,

Pete

Ahoy and welcome, matey! :gday

First off, I'm glad to see someone so enthusiastic joining us again. It's people like you who keep the community going, you know! :doff

Tis a pity (re your comments) as there's no other Pirate game that has the 'feel' that the combination of AoP and GOF has.
Clearly you've not tried Build 14 for PotC, then!
The Build Mod has an incredible development history, this being its eighth year running, and I dare say it has a more impressive feature list than any of the other mods here.
The humble 2003 PC game that was PotC has now been completely transformed into a game that can rival any other in the genre, and despite the ageing game engine, it still looks incredible too!
I strongly recommend you at least check out some of the work we've done and are doing for Build 14. Our main forum is here, and our Mod Database profile is here, if you're interested.

I predict (because I know the business) that unless others 'step up to the plate' (hey I'm becoming Americanised :) like a modding team who'll do it themselves, then there won't be a well designed, reasonably historically accurate, intelligent, adult Pirate game until Bethseda gets involved about 5 years from now. But maybe I'm just an old pessimist.

I have so many ideas on paper to improve this as a game for wannabe pirates. Oh well....
Again, I have to disagree. Build 14 is certainly well designed, intelligent, and historically accurate (you can play in 6 different time periods, all with accurate ships, islands, colonies...).
The game also features brothels, but the player can decide for his/her self whether the brothels are accessible or not. We never enforce adult content on the player, especially since people of all ages play the game.

So, you say you have ideas for improving the game(s)? Do feel free to share your thoughts with whichever mod team you decide to join (or both; what's impossible in one game might be possible/already done in the other).
While we're always open to ideas, I'll have you know that both games are in need of modding assistance, so we can keep you busy no matter what. :cheeky

Back