• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Abandoned Asynchronous Multi-player Simulation

andyandy

Sailor Apprentice
I saw random captains with crew walking around, and they are generated. The idea here is to use a text file for initialize NPC captains based on real play (of other human players). The data could be transferred asynchronously by setting up a folder sharing service (such as onedrive/dropbox). A big assumption here is that the captain generation can be tweaked to use personalized data. A further point could be in ship encountering (by having real player fleet and stats). This way, players allegiance could have a pseudo-multiplayer perspective on a single-player game, affecting national strengths. One even further point is to have national strength and stats in shared folder with certain mechanics in play, this last bit might require a GM to tweak the file. Say, if players in the server of different nations woe to war, this would change the solo games, and the battle outcomes from solo games can then be aggregated to determine shared national strengths, and perhaps town ownership. Another big assumption is that there are still ppl playing this game :p

so are there textfiles where the parameters for character generation and ship generation comes from? this could be a good start as they can be easily version controlled. Then one might just need to F11 or something ...

Characters are either fixed through PROGRAM\Characters\init or randomly generated in a great variety of files, depending on where and how they're used.

Character initialization is at the moment not included in the F11 function.

I doubt that this is doable within the engine limitations.. I also would love to have some multiplayer here in PotC .. but I'm afraid we have to wait till HoO is finished^^

There are still so many other things to do that I'm not too fussed over anything related to multiplayer.
The only thing you might be able to accomplish this way is to occasionally "update" the game world depending on player actions.
But that can be faked.

If any multiplayer should be done somehow, I'd be much more interested in player-vs-player sea battles, fort assaults, duels, etc.
Generally the action elements. Otherwise you begin to get close to a turn-based strategy game, except that you are actually a player in that world instead of the mastermind.

That's what multiplayer is about for me^^ PvP fights, dynamic world change because of player activities and maybe some Co-op missions.. What I can't stand at all is the multiplayer like in PotBS: There everything is done by players.. even shipbuilding and economics.. which leads to the complete senseless situation that a pirate builds his own 2nd Rate.. :rumgone

For me, a good RPG multiplayer puts the players into the world which is already filled with NPC's and their actions.. and the players are now just a part of that world, and not the world itself.. if you know what I mean :D

But that should be impossible to realise for PotC :/ But I really really hope you bring an (additional) multiplayer into HoO! :)

For HoO, the only multiplayer elements we may include would be quick-play scenarios. We're not intending to make an MMORPG. :no

I tought about this to but let me put it this way: potc is a bitch with file i/o

Back