• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 256MB catalyst 3.10 drivers... REBOOT?!@

rshutt

Landlubber
Hiya, just found this forum. Apparently I am not alone with my ATI woes? I opened a case with tech support @ bethesda, and they didn't seem to even know that any issue existed.

Basicly, I was unable to dock on Oxbay for the 1st part of the main quest without a crash to REBOOT when mooring :cheers Also, there were lots of random crashes to reboot whenever changing views (i.e. world map to battle, or sea to port or beach, etc..)

I put a Geforce 4 ti4400 in and shazam - everything worked fine.

So will they fix it? or are we forever left hanging? If they do fix it, how bad will that break the mods that are available with other bundled fixes. The mods are the only thing giving the game replayability for me :) Thanks to all yall who added content and fixes :)

Yeah Bethesda and Akella really don't care. You get used to the feeling of being neglected. :cheers

Heh :)

Well, since I have an ASUS A7M266 motherboard, I dont have 8x agp :) As such, I cant change from 8x to 4x :) In addition, I have tried disabling the fast writes to no avail :cheers

Its an athlon XP 1800 system... getting kindof dated I guess.. Probably doesnt even benefit with the 9800 over the TI4400... but hey... I spent the money so I want to use the thing :)

EDIT: P.S. Cant wait for pirates! 2. I must have 100's of hours in on the C64 original microprose pirates, and basically all of Sid's other games today rock just as much as they did 10->20 years ago :)

in the faw BP reckons you try the driver from some other site, have you tried them?

P!2 will be fantastic, modding will be good to hopefully

You know iv been thinking why the game reboots and shols blue screen and im thinking that if you have a super video card you have to have a good CPU ,ram and motherboard so my advice is to try your VGA with a other computer that has a better CPU ,ram and motherboard that supports AGPx8.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Keith`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keith)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->in the faw BP reckons you try the driver from some other site, have you tried them?

P!2 will be fantastic, modding will be good to hopefully[/quote]

P!2 Will be moddable, Im sure.... if Civ 3/Civ 3 Conquests is any indicator... most things in those games are moddable, and they are Sid Meier/Firaxis titles :cheers

I'm not sure if SMAC or `SMAC-X` was moddable... I played them but never really got into the 'community'. As I understand, there are still people playing SMAC and `SMAC-X`.

I'm also not sure if the other firaxis titles are moddable or not (battle of gettysburg, etc..)

Anyway.

haha

<!--`QuoteBegin-Ravenheart`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ravenheart)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You know iv been thinking why the game reboots and shols blue screen and im thinking that if you have a super video card you have to have a good CPU ,ram and motherboard so my advice is to try your VGA with a other computer that has a better CPU ,ram and motherboard that supports AGPx8.[/quote]

Uhm, this is by far the most stupid thing I've seen on a message board in a few years :cheers My machine is completely up to snuff to utilize ANY agp video card. It just means that I cant use 8x agp. In addition, this computer plays ANY other DirectX game... Including titles like Star Wars: Galaxies (which has more intense graphics and system resource needs than POTC), BF1942 (ok this one isnt so hard on a computer), Anarchy Online (another one that doesnt use all of DX9 features) The problem is NOT my hardware. It is the SOFTWARE.

Additional evidence is that another person with an 8x AGP board is experiencing the EXACT same symptoms that I am. See the post about the 9700 radeon problems in this same forum.

EDIT - In addition and in the event that you did not read this on other postings of mine, the game works flawlessly on my system with a Geforce4 TI4400 card...

Stop frigging blaming our systems... I'm not the only person experiencing this who apparently has 'up to par' hardware :)

So why don't i have any problems with PotC?Im using GB Radeon9700Pro and my CPU aint so fast too.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Ravenheart`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ravenheart)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->So why don't i have any problems with PotC?Im using GB Radeon9700Pro and my CPU aint so fast too.[/quote]

I'm not sure. Perhaps it is a problem with some other piece of hardware interacting?

What kind of CPU do you have? I am an AMD
What kind of MB controller do you have? I have an AMD southbridge 761 mixed with a via IDE/USB/etc... controller.
What kind of sound card? What kind of Network card? Any other strange devices?

The list goes on and on...

But the fact that at least 2 people have the EXACT same problem with *similar* video cards and dissimilar systems indicates its some type of problem with the SOFTWARE - be it drivers or the game - and not hardware. Either that, or we both are just really unlucky in exactly the same way!

It is a problem with the Storm 2 Engine, yes. Which seems to only affect Radeon users.
I don't know what the problem really is, though.

<!--`QuoteBegin-NathanKell`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NathanKell)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It is a problem with the Storm 2 Engine, yes. Which seems to only affect Radeon users.
I don't know what the problem really is, though.[/quote]

I gave up on bethesda software today.... I called them back on my trouble ticket and they claimed that they had not received and of my `e-mails`. I don't want to sound like a pompus ass here, but my `e-mail` system works :cheers I've even cc'd another `e-mail` account of mine when I sent the messages.. The other `e-mail` account got the messages...

Well anyway, I basically told them to `f-off` and that they've lost my future business :)

Isnt pirates 2 going to use the morrowind engine... ALSO a bethesda software product?!@? Or is the 'storm engine 2' an akella product, and is that where the problem lies?

yeah the morrowind engine based gme should be alot better as alot of the bugs have been found and killed during its life as Morrowind ( although Pirates 2 isnt using the exact same engine ) But there would be 100% more testing done on it unlike the storm 2 engine. Bethesda will have nothing to do with P!2 as they only bought the engine of another company then developed he game, just like atari will do for P!2, the name and links to the company are in the Faq in the P!2 forum

What kind of CPU do you have? I am an AMD  
What kind of MB controller do you have? I have an AMD southbridge 761 mixed with a via IDE/USB/etc... controller.
Im with a AMD Palomino +1700 but overcloaked to model 2000+ (just change from 133 MHz to 144MHz on one of the cores).About that controller im with `GA-7VAXP` new revision (Gigabyte).

the same thing happens to me, rshutt... i can't do the main quest because my computer reboots! i have p4 1900mhz processor, 512 rdram and sapphire radeon 9600 pro graphics card... this shit drives me crazy!!!! :b:

I'm using R350 too and all work fine on it~ Maybe you've opened FSAA and most of the CG games dont support FSAA :) So you can just close it and all ok then~

Finally I bought an Nvidia GeRorce FX 256MB.

:D Now everything works....no more crashes!!!finally I enjoy this game,thanks also to the great mods out there.

So if you have an ATI video Card, well try ti sell it and by a Geforce :blah:

Ati radeon 9800 pro

Hi guys,
with all the messing around with the mods my dad finds out his ati radeon 9800 pro dont work but my crappy happy geforce 4 does so we were wondering is there a path to solve this :cheeky problem :x if so please give us link on forum!!!!!!!!!

thx in advance kilroy

Back