1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Solved Attacking the prison

Discussion in 'The Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower (Horatio Horn' started by Hotshot, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Hotshot

Hotshot Master Mariner Storm Modder

I'm at the part, where you land on the shore in front of the prison.
    There is a little talking, then the way to the prison gets shelled and Archi (I think it was) tells me we cannot go this way, so I turn left (facing the sea) where I'll get to the other shore.
    Then nothing; I can go inside the prison & residence but there is no enemy and nothing else triggers.

I've included the last saves.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

I won't be able to check that savegame for a few days. But what I want to know is, what was Richard Sharpe doing during all this? He and his men should have been there as well, and as soon as Archie had said his piece, Sharpe should have asked you about the bridge. Then you proceed to the next shore, where Sharpe's squad should be waiting for you.

3. Hotshot

Ok, I'm gonna check...

Well, Sharpe wasn't on the beach. His men were though. So I checked and he wasn't in my "squad", even though I made sure he was when I still was on the ship.
    I don't know if this helped, but I removed every officer from the squad and then added only Sharpe (into the lower left position).
    Now it's working.

BUT, I'm at the next problem: After Sharpe and me talk about the cannon that wasn't here before, his riflemen fight it out and then the cannon shoots and the game is over.
    I die every single time! I tried staying put, running back to the beach and running to the enemy on the other side of the bridge.
    To no avail...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  4. Talisman

Talisman Smuggler Storm Modder

I think this might be the point where the Quest Writer put in a deliberate trap.

When you go up the path from the beach to the rope bridge ( with the cannon at the other end ) - There are 2 paths :yes from the beach to the rope bridge ( they meet half way up the slope ) .

If you go up the wrong path :boom: - the cannon at the rope bridge will always kill you.

Look for the other path, it is a little further along the beach - go up this - where the paths meet Sharpe talks to player - rifleman then go ahead and capture cannon then remaining Spanish guards attack - you should be able to continue from there.

:cheers

Pieter Boelen likes this.
  5. Grey Roger

@Hotshot: Install this into "PROGRAM\Storyline\Hornblower\quests". The problem is that you already has Sharpe assigned as an officer, which messed up the piece of code which is supposed to assign him to a specific officer slot. This version of "quests_reaction.c" should take care of that. Then load up the first of your three savegames, the one in which you are still on HMS Renown and the captain is about to take a tumble. In general, don't touch quest officers such as Sharpe, the story will assign and de-assign them itself when necessary.

And then, as @Talisman says, watch out, there are two paths up to the bridge and if you go up the wrong one, things won't turn out well. Also, Sharpe will suggest that you hold back and let him and his men scout ahead first - do what he says!

Attached Files:

6. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    Should that go into the next modpack update as well then?

Would it be worth to set him to Removable 'false'?

7. Grey Roger

I'd considered that, but I'd need to look into the longer term implications of a more general fix like that. And I didn't have time as I spent most of the weekend trying to hammer "Ardent" into a usable shape. This fix works, I tested it.

8. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    That fix should go in the mod then, right?

9. Grey Roger

It can do, yes.

10. Hotshot