• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Attacking the prison

Hotshot

Freebooter
Storm Modder
I'm at the part, where you land on the shore in front of the prison.
There is a little talking, then the way to the prison gets shelled and Archi (I think it was) tells me we cannot go this way, so I turn left (facing the sea) where I'll get to the other shore.
Then nothing; I can go inside the prison & residence but there is no enemy and nothing else triggers.

I've included the last saves.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Hornblower.7z
    586.6 KB · Views: 275
I won't be able to check that savegame for a few days. But what I want to know is, what was Richard Sharpe doing during all this? He and his men should have been there as well, and as soon as Archie had said his piece, Sharpe should have asked you about the bridge. Then you proceed to the next shore, where Sharpe's squad should be waiting for you.

Ok, I'm gonna check...

Well, Sharpe wasn't on the beach. His men were though. So I checked and he wasn't in my "squad", even though I made sure he was when I still was on the ship.
I don't know if this helped, but I removed every officer from the squad and then added only Sharpe (into the lower left position).
Now it's working.

BUT, I'm at the next problem: After Sharpe and me talk about the cannon that wasn't here before, his riflemen fight it out and then the cannon shoots and the game is over.
I die every single time! I tried staying put, running back to the beach and running to the enemy on the other side of the bridge.
To no avail...

Last edited:
I think this might be the point where the Quest Writer put in a deliberate trap.

When you go up the path from the beach to the rope bridge ( with the cannon at the other end ) - There are 2 paths :yes from the beach to the rope bridge ( they meet half way up the slope ) .

If you go up the wrong path :boom: - the cannon at the rope bridge will always kill you.

Look for the other path, it is a little further along the beach - go up this - where the paths meet Sharpe talks to player - rifleman then go ahead and capture cannon then remaining Spanish guards attack - you should be able to continue from there.

:cheers

@Hotshot: Install this into "PROGRAM\Storyline\Hornblower\quests". The problem is that you already has Sharpe assigned as an officer, which messed up the piece of code which is supposed to assign him to a specific officer slot. This version of "quests_reaction.c" should take care of that. Then load up the first of your three savegames, the one in which you are still on HMS Renown and the captain is about to take a tumble. In general, don't touch quest officers such as Sharpe, the story will assign and de-assign them itself when necessary.

And then, as @Talisman says, watch out, there are two paths up to the bridge and if you go up the wrong one, things won't turn out well. Also, Sharpe will suggest that you hold back and let him and his men scout ahead first - do what he says!

Attachments

• quests_reaction.c
    841.4 KB · Views: 284
I'd considered that, but I'd need to look into the longer term implications of a more general fix like that. And I didn't have time as I spent most of the weekend trying to hammer "Ardent" into a usable shape. This fix works, I tested it.

I'd considered that, but I'd need to look into the longer term implications of a more general fix like that. And I didn't have time as I spent most of the weekend trying to hammer "Ardent" into a usable shape. This fix works, I tested it.
That fix should go in the mod then, right?

Back