• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Augusto Queiroz may not show up

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
In "The Hunter", you get the fragata latina as a temporary replacement for your own ship, you talk to Emilio Soares to tell him to look after your ship while you're away, then you sail to San Salvador, track down Arturo Campos' ship and defeat it, track down Campos himself and defeat him, then return to Sao Jorge, where Augusto Queiroz is supposed to say something to you and then report to the governor.

Initially Emilio Soares must be one of your active companions. When you leave him to look after your ship, he's removed from both your companions and your passenger list (because he's about to be abducted by Johan Elting). If you then make one of your own officers a companion to fill the now vacant slot, Augusto Queiroz can't assign himself as an officer after your activities at San Salvador. He won't then appear at Sao Jorge, so he won't report to the governor, so you can't get the next piece of quest when you visit the governor.

The problem is this line:
Code:
SetOfficersIndex(PChar, -1, GetCharacterIndex("Augusto Queiroz"));
I know what this means because of solving the opposite problem, so to speak, for Hornblower. If you do the "Help the Boatswain" side quest, Fred Bob tries to assign himself as a companion, and originally forced himself into slot 2. This was a problem if you had a quest-critical officer in slot 2 because Hornblower, being a naval officer, isn't allowed to re-assign his companions. Putting "-1" into Fred Bob's "SetOfficersIndex" line solved that.

So I suggest changing this line to:
Code:
SetOfficersIndex(PChar, 1, GetCharacterIndex("Augusto Queiroz"));
That should make Augusto Queiroz force his way into becoming an active companion. Of course, if you're silly enough to replace him again then you'll still get stuck when you return to Sao Jorge, but at least it means you actively have to mess up. Whereas at the moment, you can mess up inadvertently if you don't realise that the slot left vacant by Emilio Soares has to stay vacant. (It also means that you can fill that slot and thus have a full set of companions while boarding Arturo Campos' ship, because Augusto Queiroz doesn't become a companion until you're ashore at White Reefs.

How many officers do you generally have at that point by default and excluding randomly hired and sidequest ones?

Three, apart from the now absent Emilio Soares. You get Adriance Blind and Benoit Belcour during the "Anaconda" incident, and you get Txiki Pijuan during "Search for my Santiago". Possibly Juan Esteban as well, depending on when the "Nightmare" side quest becomes available - I haven't done that one yet. (I know you said "excluding sidequest ones" but this particular side quest is part of "Bartolomeu", not a general side quest. ;))

I was thinking mainly of active officers in your shore party. Any extra ones just one your Passengers list or serving as Companion should not be such an issue.

It is actually possible to set quest officers to SetRemovable(CharacterFromID("*char*"), false);
^ I think that is the correct syntax, but I'm writing from memory here.

Also @Bartolomeu o Portugues, since this is your storyline.

All three officers are likely to be put in your active shore party by default, since you meet them ashore.

Besides, unless you're proposing that the "Bartolomeu" storyline prevents you from hiring and assigning officers, it doesn't really matter. Players can hire officers in taverns, and probably will - they're even encouraged to do so by the new feature for hiring specific officer types. So whether from officers supplied by the story or from taverns, players are very likely to have a full shore party, especially since every trip to and from Eugene Martin involves wandering through jungle and probably meeting highwaymen or other villains, so you need the help!

The problem is very easily solved by forcing Augusto Queiroz into your active shore party. Is there a good reason for not doing this?

What I'm thinking is that if you want to be SURE that the storyline works regardless of what the player does, certain officers should indeed be forced into the player's shore party before they are needed.
To prevent players from removing them again, those officers can be set to NOT Removable until the relevant quest scenes are finished.
This is often done for characters in the Standard storyline, but I think this never became common practice for the mod-added quests.

So my thought is in addition to your fix, not as replacement. :no

Another possible solution: perhaps the officers could be removed from the player's passengers list and placed somewhere suitable, then they can have their dialogs regardless of what the player does to officers.

Emilio Soares is about to leave your passengers list anyway at that time, partly because he's being placed in charge of your ship while you're off playing with the governor's frigate, and partly so that Johan Elting can abduct him. Augusto Queiroz is only a temporary companion; for comparison, think of Sharpe in "Hornblower".

I think the SetRemovable false is the "proper" way of handling it to prevent officers from not being there when they're needed.
But I think ActorFollow would work as well for characters who just "need to be there" but don't need to serve as actual officer.

Back