• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Auto trade for all ships & presets

andyandy

Sailor Apprentice
Hi all, am realizing my non-flagships usually have lower crew morale due to pre-mature running out of supplies. How about an auto-trade preset where we can set how many days worth of supplies and nuumber of shots to purchase, and have an auto trade for all ships? or even better, have a toggle for auto-resupply upon leaving port...

Unless I am very much mistaken, supplies are shared throughout the fleet.
Though you do need to supply all ships, otherwise you'll run out too quickly.

Regular morale difference between companion ships should be more due to their captains than anything else.

There are also these lines in PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h:
Code:
// Store goods merchant AUTO BUY settings
// For each ammo type, the button will buy this many rounds per cannon
#define BALLS_PER           15.0      // FLOAT - suggested balls_per: 15.0
#define GRAPE_PER           15.0      // FLOAT - suggested grape_per: 15.0
#define CHAIN_PER           15.0      // FLOAT - suggested chain_per: 15.0
#define BOMBS_PER           15.0     // FLOAT - suggested bombs_per: 15.0
#define POWDER_PER           0.6667     // FLOAT - enough cannon powder to fire this fraction of your ammo

// For sail and plank, the button will buy this many units of sail / plank per point of hull HP of the ship
#define SAIL_PER           0.01      // FLOAT - suggested sail_per: 0.01
#define PLANKS_PER           0.02      // FLOAT - suggested sail_per: 0.02

// For wheat and rum, the button will buy this many days' worth of wheat, or rum, for your current crew size.
// Note that this is for /double/ rum rations; so normally set this to half the number of days' worth of rum.
#define WHEAT_DAYS           30.0      // FLOAT - suggested wheat_per: 30.0
#define RUM_DAYS           15.0      // FLOAT - suggested rum_per: 15.0, 30 days at normal rum rations.

Thanks for the note. I note that in-game when food runs out for individual ships they would be emergency purchase for the particular ship (onshore). So you suggest that when the fleet is at sea the resource is pooled together? and that the supply counter is for the whole fleet (how many days of X left) ?

Not quite sure there and cannot check right now.

If necessary, you can always transfer between ships.
Also, clicking your sails and hull on the F2>Ship menu should tell you whether they are successfully being repaired.

Food and rum do appear to be shared across the fleet. If you check the rations for each ship, they are the same.

I've only noticed emergency purchases for individual ships if I'm in the shipyard, have cleaned out the cargo holds for prize ships, have sold one and then quit the repair/sell menu before selling all of them, in which case the one(s) which haven't been sold make emergency purchases. But if I've cleaned out the holds and then wander around town, including spending a few days at the blacksmith or spending a night somewhere because cleaning out the holds finished in the middle of the night, emergency purchases do not happen. (So make sure the fleet has sufficient food and rum before going to the blacksmith to get weapons polished up!)

Planks and sailcloth are not shared. Only a ship which is carrying its own planks and sailcloth can repair itself.

Emergency purchases indeed happen only during shipyard repairs or trade transactions.

Which is still quite senseless imo:rolleyes: I mean.. I am moored at a port.. the crew can go to the tavern/restaurant and drink and eat there? Or am I mistaken there?

You don't just let your crew run into the tavern at their leisure, do you? They might desert! :shock

On a more serious note, emergency purchases were just never added for other instances than shipyard repairs and cargo transactions.
Those are the only two player actions that result in an unpredictable amount of time being spent that is very hard to anticipate.
So those emergency purchases were added to prevent your crew dying while doing those things, since that would be quite annoying.

Of course this was before the blacksmiths were ever added that can now also take up a lot of your time.

Hmm.. well ok.. but maybe we could add something like that? Land vacation or so, and then the morale boosts up, but therefore a part of the crew stays on land?^^ (Or is it a crime to quit from the crew?) Because I think some sailors probably would go home after many days on sea anyway?

Well those emergency purchases don't work that good^^ I had quite often lost half of my crew because my ship was repaired so long :D .. Would have been better when they actually ran into the tavern, they wouldnt have mutiny at least :D (I had once a situation, where it took 1 or 2 days to move the cargo, and I ran out of food, next thing I know is that my crew stands around me in the store and killed me :D )

Emergency purchases always worked for me. But not if you don't have any money.
There are on-screen messages for this happening as well as for you not having the money to pay for them.

Theoretically almost everything can be added. But I am not familiar with the code, so it would be a big project.
It seems we're doing a great job at finding more work for ourselves lately. :facepalm

I might look at this soon.
Actually I want to add the emergancy purchace to a perk, but that might be a bit to harsh :p.

The reason it was added is to prevent potential frustration. I don't think we want to risk annoying players that way again. :facepalm

True :p.
For the optimalization I'm going to look trough the daily updates code so I can see what happens with the emergency purchases and what we can do about it.

I'm not even sure if those ARE in the daily updates. Since they only work for shipyards and stores, it might be in their interface files.
Or at least called through them.

Well they don't prevent frustration for me :D If my crew doesn't starve, then it frustrates because e.g. I just bought new food for 20 days on sea, and then repaired my ship.. because of all the daily crew update messages I don't see that the food is empty again after repairing ( 1. frustration, I bought food for nothing) which results in setting sails -> worldmap -> after daily update: 'captain, we only have 2 days left of food!' and I have to turn back and buy food again .. and if I have really bad luck, I encounter a storm or a navy raider and have to repair again -.- The by far most frustrating situation I had was like above, but in the time I turned back to buy food again (at Bonaire), England and Holland started war with each other, and because I just left the port 2 days ago, I didnt double check the relations again.. so I was on the worldmap, sailing into the bay of Kralendjik, and when entering 3D sailing mode, I was greeted with a shooting fort and attacking cost guards.. -.-

Would it not be more frustrating if your crew DID starve? You would have needed that food anyway. Whether it is automatically purchased for you or not.
I think there is a toggle somewhere in InternalSettings.h related to this. There is also a value to set for how many days "Auto Buy" will purchase rations.
By default this is set for 30 days.

I just said, that this emergency purchase doesn't always work..and when it works, the chance that you don't notice it is quite high. I often enough ran out of food after repairing, and I definitly had more than enough money for the pursuer to purchase more emergency rations

The way it works is simply to keep your crew from dying DURING the repair.
So you could indeed have run out of food after the repair has completed.

I'm not claiming it is ideal as-is. But that's the way it has worked for many years now and it is better than not having it at all.
Hopefully Levis can bring some more sense into this. Perhaps even stop food consumption while you're in port altogether?
And just give you a set berthing fee? Convert the manual labour of buying more food into something automated?

Back