• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Availability of Perks for Companions / Captains

Captain Dixi

Sailor Apprentice
Hearts of Oak Donator
Actually I wanted to make the a "request" thread, but I guess I cannot do that.

I play 3.4 from the 19.01.15

Anyways, when I buy or capture a 2nd ship and set one of my officers as the captain for this ship, he will only show the perks he had (showed) during his last job, e.g. if he was a gunner, that are the only perks I can give him (if there are points available to be given).

I think that as soon as an officer becomes a capain, I should be able to give him more perks, maybe not all, but all that a captain needs.

I used the first officer during my game so far on all positions and gave him all perks that are available. The idea was of course to make him captain when I buy (OK, I captured it) my 2nd ship. For now I removed him as captain, made him navigator and made him captain again.

I think I cannot assign enough other officers to that ship to get all the perks that I want on board:
- All the navigation is taken care of by the "navigator-captain".
- Gunner, so he can shout fast and accurate.
- Carpenter, so the ship will be repaired when needed.
- First Mate, so I have the iron will, in case I miss-click on payday.
- Surgeon, so my crew can get healed.
So that is one officer more than I can assign...

Let me know, what you guys think. I think a captain should have more perks available.

Greetings
Captain Dixi

Extra addition is that I think officers for companion ships is something that was never truly completed.
So with a bit of interface fiddling, you can assign them if I recall. But it isn't easy (and I can't even remember how it worked).
Plus I don't think the skill-sharing works properly there. At least... it used not to. :facepalm

Well if it is too complicated, then I guess we can all accept the way it is now.

I read however somewhere prior to the release of 3.4, that somebody improved on the skill sharing... I did not find where I read this, but I will look again later or tomorrow. If somebody recently worked on this (e.g. that you can only edit the relevant perks for each officer - that was different in 3.2 (never played 3.3)), then this somebody might be able to help.

@Levis changed the interface so you can only select those skills that are correct for each officer type.

Could you test for me if the perks assigned to a captain of another ship still contribute to you. Might be able to make it so it checks his officers also. Should do that probably but not sure, but it isn't shown atm. Might be able to show it in the interface for the captain of the ship...

I could, if you tell me how. I have all perks, so has my other captain. How can I distinguish if his perks count towards me?

If I would fire all officers except my captain and then go to the tailor and reset myself, would that do the trick?

OK, I tried that. I fired all my officers, except the ones on the 2nd ship. Went to the tailor and reset myself. The only perks I had left were expert marksman and high roler. No checkmarks in any other perks.

Pleas put this file in:
Pirates of the Caribbean\PROGRAM\INTERFACE\Perks
And try again. I think now you will see the checkmarkt.
As far as I can see the code the perks of the other officers on the ship should contribute to the captain. I'm now trying to think up a way to present this good.

Attachments

• perks.c
    16.6 KB · Views: 198
I will try tomorrow and let you know the result. Now I need to sleep.

Thanks for your help and effort. Good night.

OK, I tried it again with your file, but it was more or less the same.

After fireing my officers and reseting myself at the tailor, all my perks were gone, except Marksman, High Stakes, Smuggling and Coast Guard.

So for sure, the perks of my captain and his 3 officers do not count towards me. Which I think is OK, because in normal gameplay there is no need for that. I will have my own perks and I will have my own officers to give me their perks long before I get a 2nd ship, at least a ship I will keep longer than to the next shipyard to sell it.

But the captain on my 2nd ship still only shows the relevant perks for a navigator (that was his last job before becomming a captain). The question for me is, is it possible (and reasonable easy enough) to change the profession of my captain to CAPTAIN in stead of NAVIGATOR and then define the relevant perks for CAPTAIN and make them visible.

I have no idea, if this is easy or difficult, but not to assign any profession at all to a captain (or NAVAL CAPTAIN like I am) could remove the limitation on the perks for him and make all perks available for him and visible. Kind of like it was before.

I just saw something else that has changed. I am not sure if this is related to the perks or not. Before in 3.2 my 2nd ship always had "excellent" crew morale now it only has "high". Before the captain of the 2nd ship always had all perks now only the "navigator" perks. To test on this, I now changed my captain to first mate and it changed. After sailing from Bridgetown to Cuba the morale on the 2nd ship is now "excellent" as it always was.

Morale on companion ships depends on the skills of the captain.
Perhaps the officer type of the captain is checked for the presence of certain abilities and he doesn't contribute his "Iron Will" there anymore?

Might I ask if you are on Salary or Divide the Plunder mode and what the skills and abilities are of your captain?
"Excellent" sounds rather high for regular salary mode. If I recall, the only way that should be possible if you have ALL relevant skills and abilities.

Generally the idea is that Salary Mode keeps morale lower than it could become on Divide the Plunder if you do well.
And even with the best skills, you should never manage to get up to "Heroic".

Well, my captain has all skills at 10 and all abilities. Like I wrote in another thread, I do a lot of cargo missions for money and experiance. Yes, I am on salary mode and I have the unlimited loot on. Also, my captain has a lot of skill enhancing items on him. I also cheat a bit, so if my designated captain does not have all perks by the time he gets his ship, well what good is cheat-mode if you don't use it? :razz

And yes, it must have been the iron will perk, as now everything is back to "normal". But that is one perk, that I think should be available to a captain regardless what he last did.

And yes, it must have been the iron will perk, as now everything is back to "normal". But that is one perk, that I think should be available to a captain regardless what he last did.
Yep. We should probably make a general "captain officer type" that they switch to as soon as you assign them.

Well, my captain has all skills at 10 and all abilities. Like I wrote in another thread, I do a lot of cargo missions for money and experiance. Yes, I am on salary mode and I have the unlimited loot on. Also, my captain has a lot of skill enhancing items on him. I also cheat a bit, so if my designated captain does not have all perks by the time he gets his ship, well what good is cheat-mode if you don't use it? :razz
Cheatmode would indeed explain it. But even then, you still won't get Heroic. ;)

No, Heroic I only get for a short time after I boarded a ship or destroyed a fort. But I am not looking for heroic sailors, superiour and excellent is good enough for me. ;)

I want to try something First else I will add a captain, but if you make One of your officers captain his perks wont contribute cause there cant be two captains on a ship

Back