• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Availability of Perks for Companions / Captains

As perks are expensive, you're unlikely to get the whole lot anyway. Unless you're really high level, you'll need to choose which perks you want for yourself and which you're willing to delegate to officers. There is no need to artificially restrict a player's perks.

Or, for that matter, an officer's perks. As you have found, if you want to give an officer a decent range, you now need to assign him a post, give him the perks that are allowed for that post, re-assign him to a different post, give him the perks that are allowed for that post, etc. :sick

I agree with @Pieter Boelen - a ship's captain, whether yourself or an officer you placed in command of another ship, should have the whole lot available. If anything, rather than restricting your perks, allow enemy captains to have the whole lot as well. Especially since an enemy ship won't have additional officers.

As I recall it, putting officers on companion ships requires a substantial amount of interface fiddling from the player.
So while it IS possible, it isn't quite straightforward to do so.

@Pieter Boelen I do not think that a captain should contribut all his skills, as mentioned above. And I am not sure, but I thought this was not the case for the main character either. Isn't it, that if you have no gunner on your own ship, that your reload time is longer even if you have the skills and perks?
Nope, if you as player have all skills and all abilities, you technically have no use for extra officers.
I agree that is not realistic and should ideally be changed somehow. My preferred method is to make it impractical to reach a maxed out player character, though that might be too difficult to accomplish.

An alternative to this would be to make each officer type contribute a special "power".
There are two examples already in the game: Only the doctor's Defence skill decreases post-battle death and only having a gunner will auto-supply you with ammo when you go onto your ship.

That being said, indeed requiring each ship to have a carpenter, doctor and gunner does actually make sense.
Even if you have the best captain ever seen, he still can't do all the work by himself. :no

I agree with @Pieter Boelen - a ship's captain, whether yourself or an officer you placed in command of another ship, should have the whole lot available. If anything, rather than restricting your perks, allow enemy captains to have the whole lot as well. Especially since an enemy ship won't have additional officers.
Indeed. Perhaps not technically the most realistic method. But certainly the simplest.

@Captain Dixi I guess you are playing as a professional navy?
There is an officer type called captain now, its assigned to someone as soon as you put him or her in charge of a ship. The perks correspond to this person. You might need to start a new game to have the right perks tough. I made a difference between playing as royal navy or not. If you are a navy character your captains will have other perks then if you are not. For example the iron will is only avaible for navy characters captains while normal players have the shared experience and so on. The perks he or she had from the role you assigned to him before wont work anymore btw, if you make someone a captain it will just be the captain skills which will be added. Take a look at officers.c and look for
Code:
type = OFFIC_TYPE_CAPPIRATE;
and
Code:
type = OFFIC_TYPE_CAPNAVY;
to see which perks are assigned to the respective captains.

I agree there should be things which you can only get when having special officer types.
It's hard already to max out the character tough so it might not be needed. I was talking earlier about adding a sort of "expert" perk. Each type of officer would have one, it would require for example a minimum level of 20 and a significant about of ability points, but it would give a special boost to your ship. Like if you have the carpenter perk active you can actually use the faster and full repairing. If you have the doctor perk crewmember can be healed after battle and so on.

I find it difficult to decide what to remove cause you want the character to also be able to specialize in something, For example if you remove the best ship defence perk from the player you wouldn't use him to go down that tree of perks.

@Grey Roger what you say wont work. The system is set up in a way only the perks you see in the interface will contribute (at least that is how it should work, if it doesnt let me know). So you can assign an other perk to an officer but it wont "work" for the group.

@Pieter Boelen assigning a officer to a ship isn't that hard you do it by ship transfer, everyone will find that sooner or later. Else we could also include a little dialog somewhere or a book about it to help people find it....

That is quite a bit of input...

@Levis I have to try playing a few more new games to really check out the new system. So far I always play the TotSH story-line and did not even notice that I can choose different captain-types. Is this even possible or do I have to play a different stroy-line to do that?

@Pieter Boelen It is easy enough to assign officers to your companion ships. I usually suck at finding such things, but I managed without any problems. I agree with Levis on this everybody should be able to find it sooner or later. You see it latest when you capture a ship, because this will bring you to this interface. However, maybe a dialoge at the beginning would help. Maybe Malcom saying: "Captain don't forget to check the "transfer between ships" option under "F2" in the "ships" Tab when you get more than one ship". Or something like that... Or maybe something in the wiki about the interface??? That would actually be something I might be able to do. If so, let me know and I will try to come up with an idea how to.

@Grey Roger I also agree to that. If there are no limitations for the player, there should also not be any for AI captains. That would only be fair.

As for the NEED to change anything at all, I somewhat changed my mind. There seams to be quite a lot of work to be done to make any changes and there seams to be also quite a few different ideas on what or how to improve. This makes me think, that keeping it as it is now for the time being might not be a bad idea. And maybe make a poll or an extra thread to even find out what the majority of players would actually prefer.

@Levis I have to try playing a few more new games to really check out the new system. So far I always play the TotSH story-line and did not even notice that I can choose different captain-types. Is this even possible or do I have to play a different stroy-line to do that?
You can select different starting professions in Select Storyline. Choosing "Commissioned" triggers a bit of a custom game mode for naval officers.
Not sure if that is what Levis is referring to, though.

I think it is what Levis is refering to, but because of my cheating, I never paid any attention to this. Maybe I have to play a game without cheating once. But I looked at the intercace in "Start a New Game" and yes, there are choises and they effect your starting skills. That is at least visible, as for how much effect they have on gameplay, I really would have to try different games.

Most of the starting choices do not affect gameplay itself much. Commissioned is the only exception, but that is an experiment that needs more work.

You can select different starting professions in Select Storyline. Choosing "Commissioned" triggers a bit of a custom game mode for naval officers.
Not sure if that is what Levis is referring to, though.
I'm referring to that yes.

If you assign an officer to your companion's ship does his skills add to the Captain's skills for that ship? It seems to me that did not happen before so I quit doing it.

Btw a ship needs a captain. You can have greater and lesser captains but they are still Captains. The Spanish had their pay scale set that way where the great Captain made 4,000 maravedis a month and lesser Captains made 3,600 maravedis a month. I have no idea what a maravedi was.

skills do now contribute to the respective ships yes, so you can add them again ;). you can see in the interface of the captain of the ships which perks are active for the ship by checking the checkmarks,

Back