• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bad Rope Data On Ships Cause Crashes?

Luke159

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
I think i summed the question in the topic name, but i was just woundering if the having bad rope data could cause that to happen, because i have noticed a few ships showing this error. Here are the ones from the stock game of COAS (ship and textures are not modified in anyway yet they still throw bad rope data errors).

Warning! Found rope with number 0: (model = ships\Caravel1\Caravel1) (label = ropee0)
Warning! Found rope with number 0: (model = ships\Caravel1\Caravel1) (label = ropeb0)

Warning! Found rope with number 0: (model = ships\Galeon_l1\Galeon_l1) (label = fale0)
Warning! Found rope with number 0: (model = ships\Galeon_l1\Galeon_l1) (label = falb0)

Warning! Found rope with number 0: (model = ships\Corvette1\Corvette1) (label = faleb21)
Bad rope data for rope: (model=ships\Corvette1\Corvette1) (rope num = 1021) (begin group=0, end group=-1)

Bad rope data for rope: (model=ships\Warship1\Warship1) (rope num = 1009) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Begin pointer = 0? end pointer = 347621348
Bad rope data for rope: (model=ships\Warship1\Warship1) (rope num = 1010) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Begin pointer = 0? end pointer = 347621348

Bad rope data for rope: (model=ships\Battleship1\Battleship1) (rope num = 1007) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Begin pointer = 0? end pointer = 34054476
Bad rope data for rope: (model=ships\Battleship1\Battleship1) (rope num = 1008) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Begin pointer = 0? end pointer = 34054476

I have never been able to eliminate that bad rope data message. Almost all ships give that message, even the original ones.

Ok thanks, i have alny looked into the stock ones at the moment, trying to find possible reasons for some ships to cause the game to crash and when i saw bad rope data i figured that it could be but if almost every ship causes them and some of them don't crash the game then it can't be that, that causes the crashes.

Some ships have dozens of bad ropes and some have none. It is very tedious to eliminate them all as more often than not a ship has been worked on by many people over the years and each has left mistakes behind. Even brand new ships have bad ropes.
In fact, thank you for bringing this up as I just now eliminated the last two bad ropes on the Constitution.

Lol, thats good news then for the Constitution. I have no idea about modelling and have much respect for you guy's who spend months working on new or existing a models trying to perfect them, it must be very stressful at times.

I do have one more question (not sure if i asked this before (if i did, i didn't get a answer for it). What does the following code mean or effect in BattleInterface.C for coas?
Code:
 case "Tartane":
    BI_intNRetValue[0] = 0+4*8;
  BI_intNRetValue[1] = 0+4*8 + 1;
  BI_intNRetValue[2] = BI_ICONS_TEXTURE_SHIP1;
  break;
And the exact same ship but with guns
      case "WarTartane":  // fix
    BI_intNRetValue[0] = 2+4*8;
  BI_intNRetValue[1] = 2+4*8 + 1;
  BI_intNRetValue[2] = BI_ICONS_TEXTURE_SHIP1;
  break;

That has been bugging me for a long time and must effect something otherwise it wouldn't be needed, but the "BI_intNRetValue[0], [1] and [2] are something that need to be understood more because as you can see the values for these codes from the Tartane and War Tartane are different dispite them been the same ship model.

I was hopping for a easy answer to a difficult question, but sadly even if it was the answer i was looking for (GOF ships causing game to crash and be unstable) it would still mean bad news because that would mean most ships would have to be removed till fixed or a new ships without errors was released to fill in the gaps.

We're still getting rope errors in PotC despite @Hylie Pistof's best efforts.

Here are some I got today:
Code:
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 110) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Begin pointer = 0? end pointer = 323841252
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 210) (begin group=-1, end group=0)
Begin pointer = 323841252? end pointer = 0
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 212) (begin group=-1, end group=0)
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 211) (begin group=-1, end group=0)
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 213) (begin group=-1, end group=0)
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 214) (begin group=-1, end group=0)
Begin pointer = 323842060? end pointer = 0
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 215) (begin group=-1, end group=0)
Begin pointer = 323842060? end pointer = 0
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 221) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Begin pointer = 0? end pointer = 323844484
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 222) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Begin pointer = 0? end pointer = 323844484
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 14) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Begin pointer = 0? end pointer = 530090196
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 13) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Begin pointer = 0? end pointer = 530090196
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 91) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Begin pointer = 0? end pointer = 235667380
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 61) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 71) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 711) (begin group=-1, end group=0)
Begin pointer = 235669804? end pointer = 0
Often we don't know WHICH ship causes these messages though, but in this case I know it is either "USS_Enterprise" (the schooner) OR "PirateBrig50".
I wonder if anything can be done to fix these?

The place to work on bad ropes is in GOF2 as there it tells you which ship the bad rope belongs to. The problem is that it is difficult to get a specific ship there. In fact it is generally hard to get anything at all done there.

For instance in my current game it says the Surprise and the RAA have bad ropes and lists them. The problem is I don't have either of those ships.

The place to work on bad ropes is in GOF2 as there it tells you which ship the bad rope belongs to. The problem is that it is difficult to get a specific ship there. In fact it is generally hard to get anything at all done there.

For instance in my current game it says the Surprise and the RAA have bad ropes and lists them. The problem is I don't have either of those ships.
The method I described here should work pretty quickly in PotC; http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/various-problems-in-system-log.25536/
You just need an empty sea scene, press F12, get the new ship, reload to worldmap and back to sea for the ship to load, check system.log, repeat.

Let me put it this way.

My drivers license has expired and due to allergies I can not see well enough to drive to the Department of Motor vehicles to get a new drivers license.

This extends to things like reading. Most posts here go unread because I can not see them. Detail work like chasing bad ropes just ain't happnin.

Let me put it this way.

My drivers license has expired and due to allergies I can not see well enough to drive to the Department of Motor vehicles to get a new drivers license.

This extends to things like reading. Most posts here go unread because I can not see them. Detail work like chasing bad ropes just ain't happnin.
Alright then. I just thought you had been fixing them on the ships you edited. Apparently I misunderstood. :doff

Back