• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Bad save?

ELDYLO

Landlubber
hi everyone it seems whenever I save then go to load that save it ends up as a bad save I downloaded my files to install the mod from moddb. I have also installed the base game with new discs and it's given be a bad save with both installs (with the Old and new discs)
Hopefully someone knows how to fix this.

First thing to try: Remove the file named "options" from your main game folder.

The "options" file is supposed to return. It's where all your settings from the "Options" menu are stored, for one thing - even if you didn't change anything from the defaults. But sometimes it gets corrupted and various weird things can happen as a result, which means deleting the "options" file and letting the game create a new one can cure various weird things.

Your signature says "I have Build 14 beta 2-2". That's ancient! Try getting a more recent version - @Pieter Boelen's signature contains the links to get Build 14 Beta 4.1.

Where have you installed the game? If it's in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" (which it will be if you just let the game choose its default location) then Windows may be fouling things up. Install the game somewhere else - mine is in "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean", for example.

I have the latest version (the one that's on moddb now) I have the game saved at C:/Games/Pirates of the Caribbean/Pirates of the Caribbean

I haven't got a clue what else might be wrong.
Most likely it is Windows Security Stupidity though.

what do you mean with "it gives bad saves".
Do you mean when you save a game and then try to load it, it will show bad save?

do you have any kind of disk encryption software running or a very nasty virusscanner?
Do you have user account control enabled?

Which version of windows are you running
What are your computer specs
Can you upload a compile.log file from after a while playing a saving a game?
Do you get any error.log files?
Could you upload your system.log file (same conditions as for the compile.log)?

I mean that whenever I save a game and then load it the game won't let me load that save because it's a bad save
I never had a problem with any of my virus protection until build 14 beta 4.0 public release
I know for sure that my Pc can run this because I've been running previous versions of the mod for a few years now
I am currently on Windows 10
Where would I finds system and error log and what methods should I use to upload it to here?

I mean that whenever I save a game and then load it the game won't let me load that save because it's a bad save
I never had a problem with any of my virus protection until build 14 beta 4.0 public release
I know for sure that my Pc can run this because I've been running previous versions of the mod for a few years now
I am currently on Windows 10
Where would I finds system and error log and what methods should I use to upload it to here?
you can find these files in the folder where the engine.exe is located.

Did you run the previous versions also on windows 10 with your current setup?

You said the game is installed in "C:/Games/Pirates of the Caribbean/Pirates of the Caribbean". That is where you will find the log files - at the top level of the game installation folder, not in any subfolder like "PROGRAM" or "RESOURCE".

The "Upload a File" button is just to the right of the "Post Reply" button on the forum. Some file types need to be archived with something like 7-Zip, but log files can be uploaded without needing that. Just press "Upload a File", then you'll be able to look through your drives and folders to find the log files.

Or even easier : Just drag and drop the files to your post. I always use this method for
uploading small files.

Here's my logs
i'm not 100% sure but i might of used the version before this one on windows 10

Attachments

• compile.log
    9.3 KB · Views: 181
  • error.log
    8.5 KB · Views: 145
  • system.log
    3.9 KB · Views: 133
Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: interface\interface.c; line: 1586
no memory
RUNTIME ERROR - file: interface\save_load.c; line: 1042
no memory
RUNTIME ERROR - file: interface\save_load.c; line: 1042
no memory
RUNTIME ERROR - file: interface\interface.c; line: 1586
no memory
^ That's definitely related.

How many savegames do you already have? Maybe cleaning out your SAVE folder might help?

Only two
Btw is the save suppose to be identified as a File in properties? (The type of file says its 'File') and is the save suppose to be over 6 mb in size

Savegame have no extension for some reason. And they can indeed get pretty big.
So that sounds quite normal.

Somebody in another thread seemed to have the same issue.
Apparently he solved it by running the game as administrator.
Worth a try?

Tried that.
I'm gonna try install it to my desktop and see if that works. If not..... I can always try a different version of the mod

I've done some test with the vanilla game and it seems I get bad saves in that to although some of my saves are loadable (about 1 out of two work) so I'm thinking its a Windows 10 problem.

Probably Windows Security Stupidity being it's usual evil self again.

See if you can reinstall the game somewhere else; not on your C-drive drive, ideally.
Maybe that helps?

Back