• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Bad save?

I would agree that it seems it is a windows 10 issue (but don't know what!). With a new install of 4.1 I have the same issue that every save is reported as bad. But I also now have the same with all my old installs back even to 3.4 whereever they were installed and OK before now giving only bad saves.
The only change I made since I was last here in April with working versions was moving up to windows 10 so it is in there somewhere.

The compile logs always show (for example)

INCOMPATIBLE SAVE: -=Player=- Barbados. Speightstown port. May 3rd, 1750 2 is compatible with 0.
as does @ELDYLO 's example.

I'm in the middle of taking the new install on a usb drive to another machine (not windows 10) to check it then performs properly and will report then.

@ELDYLO and @pedrwyth please try the sugestion in here to disable user account control:
Windows 10 Settings You Should Change Right Away

You might want to check out the other tips too because they seem quit usefull.
I still don't run W10 so I can't help with it more. Altough probably in 2 weeks or so I will have a w10 device where I can test on (I need to get my certificate for configuring W10 so I need to have a machine running it :p ).

I'm still happily avoiding Windows 10 too.
By the sound of it Windows Security Stupidity (WSS) is more evil than ever. :facepalm

Well the July 2016 4.1 install I have on one of my usb disks works fine on my windows 7 laptop - after adding the intel fix. The same install just gives corrupted saves on my (now) windows 10 machine (previously win7). The corrupted saves are smaller and looking in winmerge and hex editor seem to end at collider data in the file. The opening few bytes are blank too. Here is one of each (14.934) of a corrupt win10 save and the equivalent good win7 version.

As I said above my windows 10 setup kindly does the same with all my earlier (previously fine:mad:) installs too!!:shock - where's that rollback button!

Attachments

• badandgoodsaves.7z
    414.2 KB · Views: 109
Well the July 2016 4.1 install I have on one of my usb disks works fine on my windows 7 laptop - after adding the intel fix. The same install just gives corrupted saves on my (now) windows 10 machine (previously win7). The corrupted saves are smaller and looking in winmerge and hex editor seem to end at collider data in the file. The opening few bytes are blank too. Here is one of each (14.934) of a corrupt win10 save and the equivalent good win7 version.

As I said above my windows 10 setup kindly does the same with all my earlier (previously fine:mad:) installs too!!:shock - where's that rollback button!
That sounds like the final confirmation that it is indeed that evil Windows Security Stupidity (WSS) being extra-evil now on Windows 10.
Bloody, BLOODY annoying!

Are there any folders where you DO have enough rights to make things work?
If not, perhaps there is a setting of some kind that must be disabled to get it to behave itself again?

Is there any official Windows 10 Support where we could send complaints? It's really getting quite silly.

Hmm, I have the game running perfectly on windows 10 for the past more than a month, not sure why though.

If it matters, I have the game folder installed in base c drive, not in a program folder, I installed it using right-click as an administrator, only play it using right-click as an administrator, and I think I've toned down the User Account Control settings (but they are still on in one of the lower settings).

Either way, there must be some way to get it to work on windows 10, as I've accidentially stumbled into it.

Each corrupt save gives plenty of those runtime errors "no memory" in saveload.c in the error log when saving and as @ELDYLO notes even back with the vanilla game if your install of windows 10 and its settings are giving the problem you get the same effect.

I did briefly turn off User Account Control and as I suspected no change there. I don't think it is a matter of rights to folders I have tried all drives and locations (I always had versions scattered throughout my machine(s) anyway).

It is an "old" AMD athlon II x4 630 at 2.80GHz and 4 gb RAM so maybe windows 10 has done for it with POTC but given even the vanilla game with its much lower requirements is bust I would prefer to think there is an interfering little something to be ferreted out.

Some people DO manage to use the game on Windows 10, so it must indeed be something related but not "Windows 10" just by itself.
Maybe a recent Windows 10 update that broke things? Or a combination between Windows 10 and certain hardware/software?

I assume all the obvious things, like running it in compatibility mode with an old version of windows, don't work?

My windows 10 computer is pretty new, so maybe there is a memory problem that new processors can work around with windows 10.

A search for windows 10 memory leaks/usage as a topic shows a known problem with any number of possible drivers/apps that can be eating up memory.

The good news is that, for me anyway, booting in safe mode gives a minimum set of drivers installed and with that POTC saves behave themselves it seems. That is a fall back if inconvenient solution. So now to try and find which driver(s) are at fault.

:bounce:thumbs1 Success - well of a sort. I couldn't trace what was messing up every save (if not in safe mode) :modding so I gave up and took off down the hard road.

I made a windows 10 installer file from microsoft website and then dropped back to the factory image windows 7 and then re-installed windows 10. With that clean system POTC is now behaving :aar.

Of course I now have to gradually re-install what programs I had before that I still want. If I find one of those screws with POTC :g2I will of course post that info here. Otherwise it's fixed but I still don't know exactly what or why.:shrug

That's great, @pedrwyth! It's at least some measure of progress, right?

Do you have your Windows 10 fully up-to-date with the latest upgrades and does it still work?
That'd be good to know, I think! :cheers

That's great, @pedrwyth! It's at least some measure of progress, right?

Do you have your Windows 10 fully up-to-date with the latest upgrades and does it still work?
That'd be good to know, I think! :cheers

Yes updates from Microsoft to version 1607 installed as of today and no bad saves.

I haven't done any in depth testing (i.e. playing) but as noted elsewhere there are others using Windows 10 without difficulties so it should be fine now.:popcorn:

Back