• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Engine Limitation Bad Saves

Speaking of BSODs...................

Macroshaft spent 2-3 days updating my systems and finished 2 days ago. So I got a BSOD yesterday. It seems Macroshaft has it in for AMD and Creative, and yes I have both, by insisting on installing known bad AMD sound drivers that do not work and conflict with the Creative sound drivers. This causes stutters in most programs and crashes in the weaker ones like POTC and Bioshock.

I go through this every time windoze updates itself.

I had to revert to the "previous Windows version" because the update messed up my graphics. Do that as soon as you can, as the system will delete the Windows.old folder after about 30 days.

Hook

Pieter, it probably applies to any version. I'm specifically talking about Windows 10, which recently had a major upgrade. You can find lots of people with problems with it if you search for Windows 10 November 2017 Update.

Hook

I had to revert to the "previous Windows version" because the update messed up my graphics. Do that as soon as you can, as the system will delete the Windows.old folder after about 30 days.

Hook

Ayup. The same thing happened to my wife's laptop. She uses IoBit Driver Booster so she was able to roll back just the video driver and it is working fine again.

I wasn't happy about being stuck with Windows 10 when I bought my new computer, but I figured I'd try it, and if nothing else I could get a utility that would make it look like Windows 7. They took away my gadgets, but I found 8GadgetPack (lots more than 8 now) and got the same ones I had before that work in Win 10. The default mail "app" did what it said on the tin, and I absolutely hated it. I was able to find a freeware replacement for Outlook Express which I couldn't get the original OE to work on Win 10. Google OE Classic.

However, after getting my gadgets back, and even before the email proggy replacement, I noticed that most of the things I did with a computer were somehow easier with Windows 10. Right now I wouldn't go back to Win 7.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread derailing. :D

Hook

Use Windows 10 LTSB if you don't like metro apps and major updates
I still had no problems with LTSB 2016 except the fact new windbg requires non-LTSB version

Nice way of saying "hi" you've got there! :shock
Apparently no one pays attention to "nice"

LOL, even worse...my latest OS is Win7, though my kids have Win8...and none of that 'good' hardware like NVIDIA/super video cards with crazy GPU performance. So I have no idea at this point, though I suspect if it doesn't afflict stock COAS, since this is based on that same engine version, it may be fine. Someone else will have to give it a go!
I have QC/QA as a professional background ... as long as you are not so thin-skinned as to interpret critiques as personal criticism.

First off all please don't make 3 posts in the span of 10 minutes, just edit your post if you want to add something to it.
Also I don't see what you post has to do with this topic, so please make a proper bug report.

As mentioned before BSOD's are caused by faulty hardware (often memory problems), a game or program is hardly ever the case of the BSOD, in most cases it's either drivers or memory.

Running on Lenovo T61 Centrino Duo GPU 8300 with 4GB RAM NVIDIA graphics... Win7Pro OS... only recently did this begin after I installed the update.

Also the logs you are posting seem to indicate you have some spyware running on your system which causes some system instability, and when you are running POTC it tries to inject code into it. But probably because the game is older this doesn't work right and therefore you seem to get some problems. I sugest you get a check up to see if everything is okay because it looks to be like you are very infected.

I run three different top-line AV and I am not on the Net. Only flash-drive from a source that is even more AV protected and behind a firewall... source I cannot reveal.

Most of the people working on this mod have quite some experience with this mod, most of us are playing it since beta 13 or so.
If there are any incidents please report them in the bug tracker so we can see what can be done about it. The nature of bug fixing complex system often is that when you fix something you create problems somewhere else already. A lot of the systems in the mod are tied together and balanced together, so changing something somewhere could result in bugs or unbalance somewhere else.

I cannot imagine how irritating the play must have been before the 14 was available... even that is so irritating for me my BP is through the roof when I play. Simple fixes like taking out the "cursed coin" gimmick, or making it an option are a large part of the problem for me... how do others tolerate or overcome this gimmick?

I have no idea who this is directed too, but it's not your job to say this. It's the job of the moderators

Just cut and pasting your guidance... not my comment... so who do you chastise?

Unlike some I have a professional habit of rereading my comments before leaving them to post. I sometimes consider more information, clearer descriptions, better wording so as to not confuse or mislead the reader. My profession as a word-smith required such careful review and revision.

Also, I like to correct typos since my thoughts run faster than my fingers.

Hence, you may find may edits before I am satisfied with the comment. This is a criticism?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently no one pays attention to "nice"
We prefer here to keep a nice atmosphere and therefore want people to be "nice" when possible!
I have QC/QA as a professional background ... as long as you are not so thin-skinned as to interpret critiques as personal criticism.
If you have this background then you should know how to make proper bug reports to keep things organised so if you have any complains or remarks about stuff please make topics about it like everyone doe.
Running on Lenovo T61 Centrino Duo GPU 8300 with 4GB RAM NVIDIA graphics... Win7Pro OS... only recently did this begin after I installed the update.
With these kind of specs there could be a lot of problems, but without knowing specifics there is no way to say for sure. What I can say is that with these specs you should be able to run the mod and I've tested this mod on a old computers with similar specs just now and it ran fine so the problem must be at your end.
I run three different top-line AV and I am not on the Net. Only flash-drive from a source that is even more AV protected and behind a firewall... source I cannot reveal.
Running multiple AV programs at once will make them interfere with each other and actually makes your computer less safe. Think of it like wearing 3 condoms at once, this isn't a good idea either, you should pick the best one and rely on that one to work in 99.9% of the cases.
I cannot imagine how irritating the play must have been before the 14 was available... even that is so irritating for me my BP is through the roof when I play. Simple fixes like taking out the "cursed coin" gimmick, or making it an option are a large part of the problem for me... how do others tolerate or overcome this gimmick?
Most of the things are a option. Like mentioned before when playing on realistic settings the cursed coin is disabled. And a lot of stuff is controlled trough the internal settings.
Just cut and pasting your guidance... not my comment... so who do you chastise?
I have no idea what you are talking about here .... might be the language barrier ....
Unlike some I have a professional habit of rereading my comments before leaving them to post. I sometimes consider more information, clearer descriptions, better wording so as to not confuse or mislead the reader. My profession as a word-smith required such careful review and revision.
good for you
Also, I like to correct typos since my thoughts run faster than my fingers.
again good for you
Hence, you may find may edits before I am satisfied with the comment. This is a criticism?
well as said before start using this edit function because again you posted three posts in a short time span. Just put it all in one post. There is no reason for making multiple posts here.

I really don't like the attitude you are showing in this post again. I want to warn you again about your behavior. Try to respect everyone here. The people working on this mod are doing it in their spare time and for fun. Noone is making any money of this or getting anything out of it. So by having this toxic attitude towards it you are only damaging the team. It wouldn't be the first time we remove people from the forum because of this.

Back