• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Baltimore Steam Propulsion Laboratory

hey Pieter, could you say which general area that line is in? can't seem to find it on my own, sorry.:facepalm

Thanks pieter, that's a large file (just over 5000 lines of text!), so that helps, lol

You should get WinMerge; that allows you to see what's different between versions.

Is that free software and do we have a download of it on here? If not, we should...

Free as can be and absolutely brilliant. You just have to Google it: http://winmerge.org/
Seriously, WinMerge is a lifesaver and is probably the one reason I've managed to do all the Build Mod compilation all these years.
I remember when I didn't have it yet and that was NOT a pretty sight. :shock

Sounds good, also, I wanted to quickly note to you to make sure all program downloads on this site are okay to use because if SOPA passes in the USA and this site has any downloads which could be interpreted as any form of infringing copyright, this site will be censored, though I'm sure the admin is aware of this, if not, let him know.

Vanderdecken will now sell steamships without their CanBuy and CanEncounter being false. So we no longer need the doubled up ships_init.c entries. :woot

Nice! I guess that means you'll need to remove the doubled-up pictures.ini entries for the steamships, too.

This post reported that non-player steam ships don't use their engines. I have now figured out why and fixed this! :woot
Open PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AIShip.c and find:
Code:
switch(sti(rCharacter.LastSailState))
Replace with:
Code:
switch(sti(fSailState * 2))
This will make non-player steamships use their engines properly.
Which means that they'll operate at 50% power when on battle sails and at 100% power when on full sails. :doff

Cool! Nice to see the AI learning new tricks. :read
Do they still need to have fuel in order to run the engines? If so, I presume the engines will stop working when they run out, right?

Only the player needs fuel. For simplicity's sake, I didn't require that for NPC ships.
Also, the fuel is planks and while the player would generally keep a stash for repair purposes, NPC ships don't do that.

I don't think the AI is going to be able to put the steam engines to much use; they'll just get a bit higher speed than it would expect.
Probably the AI won't be clever enough to try to sail into the wind. Not to mention that for the AI the sails and engines are linked,
so if they would want to sail into the wind, they'd have to do so at full sail, which counteracts the engines of course.
But what else can we do? :facepalm

The main reason is just so that AI ships also can be seen with their engines running at times for variety's sake.
At least it may make the last two time periods a bit more interesting when you see a plume of smoke up on the horizon.
Has anyone got any information on how often you would run into steamships when actually playing?

Three NPC steamships in one picture and all using their engines. Cool, no? :cheeky

Attachments

• SteamFleet.jpg
    SteamFleet.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 225
Only the player needs fuel. For simplicity's sake, I didn't require that for NPC ships.
Also, the fuel is planks and while the player would generally keep a stash for repair purposes, NPC ships don't do that.

Fair point, that. :onya

Any chance someone could see about doing a SteamFrigate spanker fix? They have got our old "behaving waaay unnaturally" bug. :facepalm

And the Bermuda Sloop couldn't be touched to fix it, if I recall correctly? Too bad; that one's also really obvious.
And she's a quest ship too; she's uses as the first player ship you get in the Woodes Rogers storyline. :(

The steamship uses the old Constitution as a base right? I do not recall if it ever got fixed.

The Bermuda Sloop should be fixable as far as that goes. The whole ship is just plain wrong. That is why nothing was done to it.

Indeed the SteamFrigates were based on the old Constitution.

How would one go about fixing at least those spankers? I find their wrongness is quite bothersome. :facepalm

Back