Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
- Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
- Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships
Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!
A Pirate Podcast with Interviews Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!
- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
- Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
- Youtube - Fill the Coffers -
Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
- Download latest version
- Report bugs here
- ModDB profile
Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
- Downloads and info
- Historical Immersion Supermod
- ModDB Profile
Discussion in 'Recruitment Forum' started by TechnicJelle, Dec 21, 2015.
I have put the link to my Blender Renders in my signature, so it is easier to find.
I have been making a new project.
I rendered one frame out of the 130 there are, and it was 45 minutes rendertime.
I calculated that my computer would be rendering for 4 days, 1 hour and 30 minutes. Ugh...
Why does randering take so long!?
Maybe time to start thinking about some optimization?
Try turning down the render quality and the output resolution. A single frame taking 45 minutes is quite a lot for a still render, so it's very heavy-going for an animation.
But for my other animations I've always used FullHD resolution and not more than a thousand samples...
They were always done in less then 48 hours.
But, indeed this scene has 71,385 vertices, which is the most I've had. But it's a nice experiment.
The stupid thing is that I can't change it anymore without having to start ALL OVER AGAIN. And I'm NOT wasting a complete day of rendering.
(By the way: it's really boring, when I can't use my computer... ;p )
I did quite a few still frame renderings few years back with Vray, and learned that rendering animations (for Archviz specifically) takes different set-up than stills. For example using prebaked reflection maps (cubemaps) and even shadow maps, also cranking down reflection bounces and GI ones. Resolution of those maps is also important for performance. Frosted transparency is also a particular time glutton in Vray. These optimizations are very similar how realtime rendering is handled, so I'm contemplating now to learn using Unity for archviz animations
Too bad I never tied Blender and can't help you there, but from my experience in offline renderers, polycount has least effect on render time. 70k triangles for example would be not too complicated chair with curved surfaces. I used to do routinely photorealistic renders of interiors with maybe 10 similar models, instanced multiple times.
I'd recommend researching blender optimization or switching to more mainstream renderers, even Unity might be great for animations, especially as it is basically free.
It's 142,858 triangles, by the way.
And my pc is quite old, anyway, so that is a reason.
Umm... Can you translate to normal English, please? I don't know any professional 3D-modeling terms, yes.
Basically polycount of 10s of thousands can not be a rendering bottleneck on new machines. Must be lighting/material/renderer settings or animated/rigged geometry.
Indeed. NEW machines. Mine is about four years old, if not older.
Lighting settings aren't that high. Just a bit of Ambient Occlusion, and a bright spotlight to brighten the colours up a bit.
Renderer setting aren't that high either. FullHD with 500 samples.
I don't really like doing rigging yet (I have done it once an it was a nightmare).
There is a piece of cloth and there are things that fall and move.
The materials are indeed a bit complicated. But I made them myself and I'm very proud of how they turned out.
Four years old shouldn't be very bad, but can't tell for sure. If things not only being translated/ rotated while falling, but some sort of physics simulation is used, that very well can be heavy on performace. All sorts of cloth simulations also. Too bad I tried Blender maybe 10 years ago, can't say anything for AO or samples..
I have two things falling with a physics simulation, yes.
If you need to look at my specs, I have a complete thread all about my computer. Need Help - Pc Upgrade | PiratesAhoy!
That's one big performance drain right there. Have you tried baking the simulation into a keyframed animation? That's what I did to render cloth physics in 3ds Max, and there must be a similar option for Blender.
If you bake the simulation, that will remove the need to simulate the cloth in real time for each frame, and should speed up rendering quite a bit.
Yes. When I was done with editing the cloth I baked it.
The other two things falling I did not bake, however.
I read it would make the file size skyrocket.
And I don't think Blender can bake cloth to keyframes.
I did press the bake button on the cloth though!
And that sped up the viewport a bunch.
I'm rendering the 65th frame of the 130!
It's nearly over halfway done!
The rendering messed up.
The two things, that were supposed to fall, didn't...
Now I had to render nearly the whole animation again...
But this time I baked everything I could and it sped up the rendering time by about two to four minutes!
Now they should fall like things should.
I'm at frame 100!
The animation is done!!
You can find the link to it in my signature.
It's the 'Furniture - Tablecloth'.
I made a flower!
This is the first time I blurred the background a little too!
And I know there should be WAY more grass blades, but the rendertime already was four hours, so...
Gets the point across. I like it!
Separate names with a comma.