• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Behaviour of Surrendered Captains

@Pieter Boelen The file is attached at post 57, 4 posts above this.

I didn't reattach because it isn't intended for implementation on that form, it comments out the initial dualing stuff just to be sure, and completely reverts the correction you suggested to the dialogue. It was just to locate the source of the problem.

It can be used, if someone wants to uncomment the initial dual and then take a look at the (now uncorrected) secrion and figure out why it works, or someone can instead look at the current version, and just figure out why the corrected version doesn't work.

Don't want this to fall through the cracks while I am gone, so for now uploading a version that:

1) has the initial dualing changes all operational

2) reverts the corrections to the dialogue code.

This should make captains capable of being taken as prisoners again, and have things working right, though perhaps at some point someone should investigate what was going on.

Posting to new content now, as about to get on the road again and won't be around to follow-up for at least a week.

EDIT: doesn't work, removing

Last edited:
@Jason reports the earlier attached file does not fix the problem. I am attaching another version here, which comments out all the initial dualing code, and also has everything reverted elsewhere as in the previous version. This method fixed the problem in my earlier tests, so please someone report if it doesn't.

And if anyone has been using the previous version attached above, and has either gotten the option to take captains prisoner, or has noticed it missing, please report on that as well. If the above doesn't work and the one attached here does, then it means the initial dualing code is at least part of the problem, though I can't understand why.

@Pieter Boelen sorry to leave this in a not fully fixed state and take off, hopefully reports come in that can help someone look at the code and figure out why one or the other version works or not.

The current version at least fixed the problem in my tests, but it is a shame to comment out the initial dualing entirely. But fixes the bug in the meantime, and hopefully someone can fix it up once the problem is found.

EDIT doesn't work, removing

Last edited:
I'd look at it myself, if only I'd have the time. Unfortunately I really don't.
It's quite hectic on this side figuring out the specifics around real boats at the moment....

Thanks Pieter, the 2nd version just uploaded above should be a good enough emergency fix until you or Levis have time to figure out what is going on, and why the earlier fix didn't work.

It sounds like we are all swamped with real life work at the moment. :)

@Pieter Boelen notes for later: Jason reports even the second file did not let him take a prisoner. On the other hand, I was able to take a prisoner with that file when I tested several days ago (brave black flag start, immediatelly boarded a ship, checked and prisoner was in hold with ransom of around 5000). Maybe the bug is somehow situational, and only occurs sometimes.

To ANYONE who has tried either of the two files posted above--if you have either been able to take prisoners of captains, or have been unable to, or it has been inconsistent, please report what you have experienced and which one of the two above files you were using at the time.

If the second fix doesn't solve it, the bug probably did not arise from this file at all, and might be a captain generation thing. If the second fix solves it and the first doesn't, it is in the initial dualing stuff. If the first fix solves it, it is in the corrections in the later parts of the file. And if they sometimes fix it sometimes don't, then something complicated is going on.

So we could really use reports from anyone who can test one or both of the files.

Last edited:
So is there anything I need to do here or is everything fixed already and do I just need to make sure the captains get the dialog assigned to them again?

So is there anything I need to do here or is everything fixed already and do I just need to make sure the captains get the dialog assigned to them again?
Note that this here is the Brainstorming thread and for that one there IS a fair bit that still needs doing.
For example:
- Ensuring they always get the Cabinfight dialog assigned (this is of course the separate Bug Tracker issue)
- Figuring out why captains cannot be hired/taken as prisoner (there is already a separate Bug Tracker entry for this too)
- Once that is both done, it should be possibl to reinstate @Tingyun's "quick fix" for the modified behaviour
- But even after that, we will still want a more fancy solution to be found

You can leave that last one for me for the time being as it ties in with my intended changes to Reputation/Fame.
One day....

@Pieter Boelen is there already a seperate bugtracker for surrendered captains can not be taken prisoner?

Grey Roger reported the bug in this beta thread, so I'm not sure there is a bugtracker for it yet. There was some discussion about this one in another broader thread as well, but I don't think it had a seperate one for it, just got discussion in two broader threads. Or I could be remembering wrong.

@Levis maybe we should move Grey Roger's report on page 3 of this thread and all later discussion to a bugtracker Behaviour of Surrendered Captains | Page 3 | PiratesAhoy!

Levis, it does seem your help is needed to track this bug down. @Jason in the other thread reports that my fixes posted above didn't solve the problem (or only partially did?), and later in the game he can't hire captains still. so maybe the problem is somewhere other than cabinfit dialog, not sure (but if the above fixes don't work, then it can't be a problem with cabinfight dialog changes, as the second one removes everything new).

Thought so? I'd assume it's the same one as the one for "cannot be taken as officer".

I dont't see anything on the bugtracker for it, though maybe I'm missing something, but the discussion has all happened either in this beta thread (Grey Roger's initial report) or the perks points leveling up bugtracker (Jason's subsequent report).

I think Grey Roger initially reported it here because he thought it might be related to the recent changes, which made sense in its own way, but it is probably time for a seperate bugtracker, now that Levis's attention is needed.

@Tingyun could you check if the bug tracker entries are there and else make them?

@Pieter Boelen @Levis

Ok seperate bugtracker created.

Problem seems to be in captain generation and doesn't appear to have been in cabinfight dialog changes at all, so at least we can keep the new dualing code. Earlier "fixes" removed since don't work.

I only had a minute to stop by, no time to get caught up on everything discussed lately in the forums, hope everyone is doing well.

Back