• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Bermuda sloop price

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
The Bermuda sloop costs about the same as a Gaff Schooner, but has half the crew and guns, and significantly less hull strength and cargo capacity.

It costs about twice a normal sloop, but isn't much better (even has less guns it seems).

I tried digging up some past threads and it looks like its stats were reduced at some point.

Is the current price perhaps a relic of a stronger previous version of the ship? Or is there some huge advantage to it that I am missing?

It was one of the earlier custom models added to the game.
There were two versions, one where only the cannons fire and a "super" one where also the small handguns counted as cannons.
Can't remember which of the two is left in the mod, but if the latter, she's got relatively many cannons for her size.

Hi Pieter,

The bermuda sloop left in the mod only has 10 cannons, while a normal sloop has 16.

I think the price would be right if it were the other model, but for this one, it is basically as less powerful sloop at twice the price.

I think the price should be same as a sloop, or else the cannons should be a higher caliber to justify the price.

I still bought it, because it was a fun model and I want to sail it around a bit, but I will be trading it in for a gaff schooner fairly soon. The gaff schooner model is amazingly beautiful.

By the way, should I bother making bug reports for ship model issues? Like the Snow Brig's flag in the back clips through the back sail. Not sure if anyone is doing ship model art work for minor graphical issues like that, so I don't want to clog the bugtracker if not.

Feel free to suggest a different price and we'll add it to the game.

Clipping between Sails and flags is virtually unavoidable.
You can make a single thread for all those issues and include a screenshot.
While many probably won't be, maybe some of them could possibly be easily fixed by tweaking the locators a bit.

Let me look at ship stats tonight or tomorow and I'll think about a change.

EDIT: I'll collect the clipping issues for awhile on my own, and then post when I have a few assembled with screenshots. :)

Ok, so a full comparison is:

Sloop vs Bermuda Sloop
Guns 16 vs 10
Caliber 6 vs 6
max crew 48 vs 38
cargo 700 vs 1100
Top speed 11.1 vs 12.5
HP 1000 vs 1100

BASE COST 27200 vs 49000

I think actual cost is around three times those base costs in the game.

So the Bermuda sloop is a better merchant vessel: slightly faster, larger cargo capacity, and lower crew.
The Sloop is a better fighter: larger crew, +60% more cannons.

I'd say the Bermuda Sloop fills an interesting niche role as a fast light trading vessel, but twice the cost is excessive.

Suggested new Bermuda Sloop Base Cost: 36200 (about a 33% increase over the Sloop price)

If Grey Roger is willing to look at this, I think he could do a much better job than me of balancing the appropriate price (or perhaps otherwise changing stats to make it a viable alternative, increasing cargo capacity or cannon caliber or something). I've mostly played with the land aspects of the game, and someone who is an expert at ship combat and trading would be ideal for this. :)

Talisman, thanks, very useful!

What is interesting is that when that was made the Bermuda sloop price was much more reasonable (29,000 it looks like compared to the sloop 27,200). Sometime between then and now the Bermuda sloop was moved up to the price of a gaff schooner, even though it is only about half as good.

Maybe best to just move it back down to the old price from that document, 29,000

I don't know - in the ships.init file

the entry for the Bermuda Sloop is

Code:
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Bermuda Sloop By: Captain Augast, July 2006
//  <SWS - Willemstad Builders' Trials Winter 09 S/N 058> (WBT3H)
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
   makeref(refShip,ShipsTypes[n]);
   n++;
   refShip.Name     = "SloopBermuda";
   refShip.SName     = "SloopBermuda";
   refShip.id     = refShip.Name;
   refShip.Class     = 7;
   refShip.Walk     = "SloopBermuda";
   refShip.All       = "Sloop1";
   refShip.Cannon     = CANNON_TYPE_LONG_LBS6;
   refShip.MaxCaliber   = 6;
   refShip.Weight     = Tonnes2CWT(250);//BB ? weight seems large compared to normal sloop?(was 390)
   refShip.Capacity   = 1100;//BB these were trade ships too(was 500). Increased to better match weight and reduced guns
   refShip.CannonsQuantity   = 10;

refShip.Cannons.Borts.cannonf.qty = 1;
   refShip.Cannons.Borts.cannonb.qty = 1;

refShip.MaxCrew     = 38;//BB crew seem too few for size(see weight), was 30
   refShip.MinCrew     = 12;//BB was 6(sloops were hard to sail)
   refShip.Price     = 49000;//BB was 20000
   refShip.HP     = 1100;//BB was 1000(used cedar wood for greater strength)
   refShip.SP     = 200;
   refShip.Jetty       = false; // PB

refShip.RigType      = "Slo";
   refship.WaterLine    = 0.1;//BB was 0.0
   refship.SpeedDependWeight  = 0.2;
   refship.SubSeaDependWeight = 0.3;
   refship.TurnDependWeight  = 0.2;

refShip.CanEncounter   = true;
   refShip.CanBuy     = true;

I don't know why Black Bart changed the price :checklist - perhaps he forgot the item mentioned in the note at the top of the file:-

Code:
#define SHIP_INTERFACE_SCREENSHOTS   1
#define PERIOD_ACCURACY_LEVEL     2   // PB: 1 = Simplified 0% or 100% Period+Nation chance, 0 = Period chance ignored

// NOTE: All ship prices are being doubled compared to the ones listed here
//  This happens in PROGRAM\KB_routines.c by function GetShipPriceByType

which refers to this:-

Code:
int GetShipPriceByType(ref chr)
{
   if (!CheckAttribute(chr, "Ship.idx")) return 0;
   int st = sti(chr.Ship.idx);
   if (st == SHIP_NOTUSED) return 0;
   ref shref = GetShipByType(st);
   aref arShip; makearef(arShip, chr.Ship);
   return sti(GetLocalShipAttrib(arShip, shref, "Price"))*2; // TIH - why are ALL ship prices DOUBLED here ??? // PRS3
}

I assume that this means that all the ships prices in the ships.init are doubled when the ships appear in the game in the shipyards. :shrug

Anyway the prices quoted in the document on the Wiki - appear to be the prices in the ships.init - so they are half the price of the ship in the game's shipyards. I think

:read

ALSO

The link in this Post :- Ship PDF - up-to-date? | PiratesAhoy!

Will give you a more up to date version of the Wiki document ( unfortunately I can't work out how to get it onto the Wiki )

:modding

Last edited:
That makes alot of sense Talisman! And yes, prices in game do seem doubled. And thanks for that link, it is so helpful! :)

So does anyone object to going back to the old 29,000 as the price in the file (which would be doubled in game)? So then slightly more expensive than a sloop.

Maybe it was the Super variant at the time, but not anymore.

Anyway, no objections from my side.

Pieter,

It is a 2 second fix. ;) I was just waiting a few days to see if further input occurred before posting the file. Will post soon, looks like discussion has wrapped up.

Bermuda Sloop price fixed to base 29,000 (doubled in game), old price, comparable to sloop but slightly more expensive now.

Attachments

• Ships_init.c
    768.8 KB · Views: 120
Back