• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Best and Worst COAS ships

is that crimson blood the same as in PotC? kinda funny really, that's a custom made for me originally, even though i never got my hands on it. doesn't look that snazzy on the detail, i'll admit. and i don't like the name anymore.

I'll add another one, which I replaced my Mordaunt with. Surprised this has only garnered one other mention.

Fast Battle Frigate - Speed and Maneuverability of a corvette (~17, ~55 respectively), good PoS (4.5, 0.25 less than my Mordaunt), guns of a lite Line ship (54 34 pounders), and a solid hull (~17k) and hold (5k). Also has a profile about the size of a standard corvette. The only drawbacks to this ship are the slightly smaller crew (about 750 iirc) and the lack of forward guns, which doesn't really bother me, just means stronger broadsides which I tend to aim more carefully anyway. That and the top masts that are so large I'm pretty sure a premature baby could fill them. :p

Anyway, my new favorite. Screw the Dog of War this is better. All stats are post upgrade of course.

Edit: Oh, and it has a properly working gun load-out, which I think is nice.

Making this a new post to make sure it's read, as I know you guys are working on 3.2.

I forgot to mention this previously, but it's the Achilles' heel of the Mordaunt. Every time the ship takes cannon fire, even if it only gets hit by like two cannon balls, it loses its bowsprit. I'm pretty sure the bosun shot it off with his slingshot last Tuesday. You're guaranteed to lose a mast every fight with this bug. :(

Making this a new post to make sure it's read, as I know you guys are working on 3.2.

I forgot to mention this previously, but it's the Achilles' heel of the Mordaunt. Every time the ship takes cannon fire, even if it only gets hit by like two cannon balls, it loses its bowsprit. I'm pretty sure the bosun shot it off with his slingshot last Tuesday. You're guaranteed to lose a mast every fight with this bug. :(

"slingshot" I love it! LOL :rofl

You are absolutely correct mate! I'm glad you mentioned it. I was going to and had forgot about it. Mordaunt is one of my favorites. There is nothing worse than having a squadron of three of them and at the end of a battle not a one still has her bowsprit.

Question for Luke and Craiggo: If we up the sail hit points for Mordaunt, I know it will be harder to knock down the main masts so a little unfair, but would it fix the bowsprit problem.

This one really is annoying. It's really bad when a snot nosed pirate yacht random encounter knocks it off on a trade mission, it just pisses you off! :cry

MK

@ Venir
Yes I know the problem. I will import the new towers in Maya and produce new collision data. Perhaps then the error gone. :shrug

@ MK
Sorry bud as of yet we haven't found any kind of hp value for masts, i expect its a code that knipples use more than any other shot type and what we have found is what effects vanilla and RTBL value's (goods_init). Apart from those value's we haven't been able to reduce the chance of masts falling, i expect there is a value some where its just finding it. Increasing the hp of sails will help reduce the chance ofmasts from falling to early but it doesn't fix it as you will no doubt have seen a ship with rigged sails looses a mast without taking any sail damage at all, but it does seem the more sail damage you have the greater the chance a mast will fall.

My favourite ship HAS to be the Corvette SL, decent crew for it's size and class, I captured mine yesterday, 32 cannons of 24 pounds, 16.01 speed and I went to the Pirate settlement to modify it's maneuvrability, now by boat can almost breakdance!... fast enough to catch even fast light ship, strong enough to blow them appart (though I play on tactical battle... By the time I blow a ship that bothers me, my crew got white hair... (question of amateur... is it realistic that it takes so much time to sink a ship, even small one? I mean, a broadside of (14) 24 pounders on a sloop should do descent damages no?)

The worst got to be the tartane! I still never navigated a 2nd or 1st class... I like to stick to fast, though, from your experience, better a heavy Lineship, or speedy Fregate?

by the way... the mod is, of corse, uber-awsome... Keeo up the good work! Though i can't technically help, i offer my full moral support!

The damage ratio has been addressed in CMV3.2 (currently been worked on) you will have 2 options, stock settings (very quick to sink ships) or RTBL (slow damage and take longer to sink ships). If i can figure out how to add a third option then a third option will be added for a inbetween these 2 game modes because i think the stock value's are just way to easy and those who think RTBL is to slow are forced to play with stock value's which they might not like.

I personally use small ships, its rare that i use a 1st rate ship but i do have some favourites amongst them like the Soliel Royal, Victory etc. The 1st rate ships make for decent merchant ships aswell because your able to hold your own against the big boy's and hold much more cargo. They just cost a massive amount to upgrade but its worth doing.

I never encountered nor the Soleil-Royal, nor the Victory... can't wait to though! I've a kind of aversion for 1st rates and even second rate ships as (and then, maybe I'm wrong, as i never sailed a really heavy ship) I find them rather clumsy, while with smaller class we can just circle them and unleashed broadside after broadside...

Do we have any idea when will be the CMV 3.2 version realeased? because my game is still young, and if it's very soon, i'd be pissed top restart anew if my current game is far advence (considering I don't have much time to play...)

By the time I blow a ship that bothers me, my crew got white hair... (question of amateur... is it realistic that it takes so much time to sink a ship, even small one? I mean, a broadside of (14) 24 pounders on a sloop should do descent damages no?)

Ahhhh.... but I think you are assuming this taking for granted that you are hitting accurately. At your level, you are probably missing a bunch. Even with Luke's realistic cannon mod numbers in place, you can't forget about your own abilities and crews training level. Indeed with Lukes values, you will sink the smaller ships very quickly (one or two broadsides) when you are at level 30+, have a highly trained crew in Gunnery, and you have picked up the gunners perks. As a younger, more inexperienced Captain with a mediocre trained crew, I think the play is very accurate. It took an awful lot of skill to hit on the uproll with those old smooth bore guns on a platform moving through undulating waves. In the Royal Navy there was an abundance of powder and shot to train with and ships often spent hours a day doing gun drills....not so much with an indepentant merchant or pirate Captain I think.

MK

Thanks for your answer MK, I went to look at my stats and those of my crew, to see if that was the problem... i don't think so. I don't have a gunner,. but my caracter skill is 26 (still young and lot to learn, but respectable!), My crew is : sailor - sea dogs, cannoners - masters, soldiers (fighting force) - sea dogs... honestly, they're a golden crew, i barely loose a man in any fight, plus a very good doctor :D. i don't miss a lot as I wait to be close range before shooting a broadside, as it's long enough to recharge, I wanna be sure each shot counts... still, it takes ages to sink even a lugger or a sloop... If I had 8 pounders, I'd understand, but with 24 pounders... am i missing a trick?

Oh, I was very interested by the realistic cannons minimod, but as soon as I installed it, I couldn't start the game... i tried to just put the folders(and overrite the vanilla ones) then, couldn't start the game... so I cleaned all installations, reinstalled the game, plus CMV 3.1.5, then tried to put each file in the proper folder (wich is simple) but the same oproblem appeared, the game wouldn't start... otherwise, it works perfectly... without the minimod... :(

@Venir
I have uploaded a new version of Mordaunt. All completely replace. Should now be fixed bowsprit problem. I hope. ;)
In the test battle I have fought against 6 ships and lost only once the foremast (first at the end of the battle) but not the bowsprit xD:

http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/pgargon/HMS%20Mordaunt/HMS_Mordaunt_1.03.rar

Thanks for your answer MK, I went to look at my stats and those of my crew, to see if that was the problem... i don't think so. I don't have a gunner,. but my caracter skill is 26 (still young and lot to learn, but respectable!), My crew is : sailor - sea dogs, cannoners - masters, soldiers (fighting force) - sea dogs... honestly, they're a golden crew, i barely loose a man in any fight, plus a very good doctor :D. i don't miss a lot as I wait to be close range before shooting a broadside, as it's long enough to recharge, I wanna be sure each shot counts... still, it takes ages to sink even a lugger or a sloop... If I had 8 pounders, I'd understand, but with 24 pounders... am i missing a trick?

Oh, I was very interested by the realistic cannons minimod, but as soon as I installed it, I couldn't start the game... i tried to just put the folders(and overrite the vanilla ones) then, couldn't start the game... so I cleaned all installations, reinstalled the game, plus CMV 3.1.5, then tried to put each file in the proper folder (wich is simple) but the same oproblem appeared, the game wouldn't start... otherwise, it works perfectly... without the minimod... :(

You need a gunner Mate

MK

Ok, another problem :D
I captured the Mordaunt, have half a crew of 333, my leadership is high enough and navigation skill more than enough to command this beauty. The problem is that on maneuvrability, I get a tremendous 0.00... how comes? I must admit that as much as I like the vessel, as beautiful it is and powerful, it's a bit bothering to see even fregates circling around me and sending me hellos broadside after broadside while I'm a kind of sitting duck there... against one, ok, I blow hiom up with salvo of 36 pounders... But against more than one, it's becoming touchy... Ok, i know it's a big ship, it's supposed to be slow, but 333 men should be able to make at least a 0.01... no?

thanks in advence and enjoy your pillaging!

Not sure about that, the Mordaunt in CMV3.2 files has a turn ability of 36.0 so i'm not sure why your ships turn ability is so poor. :shrug

Not sure about that, the Mordaunt in CMV3.2 files has a turn ability of 36.0 so i'm not sure why your ships turn ability is so poor. :shrug

Thanks a lot, I figured it out... in fact no, the problem was that it appeared on the ship card maneuvrability : 0.00\36.00 I don't know what i did, but now I seem to have a 5.50\36.00...

Another question (I hope I bother no one with all my questions :-S ) Are the ships like Mordaunt, victoria, or any other modded ships unique, or they appear on a certain rate, like the stock ones of CoAS?

No all ships in COAS apart from quest ships ie, Blue Bird, Sea Dog etc etc will be generated at some point in the game, depending on your rank. If your only a rank 3 then you will have a 1 in a 100 chance of seeing a MOW, in fact it most likely higher than that because i've never seen a MOW even at rank 15 as i'm at now. But here's an example. In my current game i can sail class 3 ships without taking any penaulties, my navigation skill is 66 1 point above the amount required. My navigators skill is 68 so i'm just 1 point behind the navigators skill now. I know there will be better navigators around now but i have been building this navigator up with the perks i want him to have.

Anyway even though i can sail a class 3 ship i only see class 4 ships at the moment, when my rank increase, could be 16, 17, 18 or even as late as 22 before i will see a class 3 ship for the first time. But even though i mainly see class 4 ships i still see class 5, 6 and 7 ships been generated (not as much but sometimes i see them).

I think you'll find that the lighter your ship the more maneuvrable she will be. :onya

Just to let you all know we are working on improving all the ships in the game. I Have Re-skinned the following ships:

Amsterdam1 - Redone - 3 hulls

Batavia21 - New Ship with 3 hulls

bermsloop1 - Redone - 3 hulls

Brig_20_Gun1_181 - New Ship - 3 Hulls

ColonialSchooner1 - New Ship - 3 Hulls

Endeavour1 - Redone - 3 hulls

Enterprise1 - Now has 3 hulls

Greyhound1 - now has 3 hulls

HMS_Unicorn - now has 3 hulls

Hooker11 - now has 3 hulls

Indiaman1 - redone - 3 hulls

Interceptor1 - now has 3 hulls

Intrepide1 - redone - 3 hulls

Lydia1 - Redone - has 3 hulls

Pinnace111 - has a third hull now

PO_Fleut501 - 3 hulls

Shnyava1 - New ship - 3 hulls

SoleilRoyal1 - Now has 3 hulls

Speedy1 - now has 3 hulls

Superbe1 - Now has three hulls

Surprise1 - Now has three hulls

TheBlackpearl1 - Now has three hulls

Yacht1 - Redone - 3 hulls

The following ships have hulls added to them and or have new deck textures and or details such as anchors, helmsmen, ships wheels and bow figures as well as other figurines and see

through cabin windows:

Batavia1

Battleship11

BattleXebec1

BlackAngel1

Bounty1

Boussole1

Brig_20_Gun1_181

Brig31

Caravel21

Corvette_quest1

Corvette1

CorvFrig2_501

CrimsonBlood1

Cutter1

Dutchlineship1

Endeavour1

FastGalleon11

Fearless1

Felipe1 - now has 3 hulls

fleut4_501

FleutOfWar1

FleutOfWar34G1

FR_SuperiorWarship11

Frigate_sat1

Frigate1

Galeon_l1

Galeon11

Galeoth_h1

Hannah_p1 - now has 3 hulls

Hannah1 - now has 2 additional hulls

HeavyWarship1

Indiaman1

Intrepide1

JamaicaShip1

Ketch1

La_Licorne1

Lightfrigate1

LinearShip1

LineShip51

lugger_h1

Manow50_gub1

Manowar_fast1

Manowar1

MermaidGrief1

Mordaunt1

Packet_Brig1

Pink1

Pinnace1

Pinnace3_501

Pinnace111

Pinnaceofwar1

Schooner1

SchoonerXebec1

SloopofWar1

SoleyRu1

TwoDecker1_471

War_Pinnace1

WarShip1

Yacht1

Holy Crap! Craiggo Matey, You are outdoing yourself! :onya

You make the phrase "endless possibilities" have relevance in COAS.

Can't wait to see them all in game. :will

I'm going to have to change my best and worst list after playing the 3.2 beta.

I'm still going to do a survey, but I will wait until everyone has had a chance to play 3.2 for a few months.

MK

Back