• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Best and Worst COAS ships

My personal favorites:
Sophie (although different from description in the novels)
Surprise
Bellona
Fast Battle Frigate (stupid name, though)

Ships I would like to see in game:
H.M.S. Polychrest from Post Captain (Aubrey Maturin Novels) Even though it is an absolute monstrosity...
H.M.S. Lively " " " " "
more 74 guns and other Napoleonic ships of the line
El Gamo (real xebec-rigged frigate, inspiration for Cacafuego in Master and Commander)

We could alway's name her Heavy Battle Frigate?

From what i can see we have no ships called Heavy Battle Frigate so it would be possible.

I think one of my favorite CoAS ships is L'Entreprise, although I'll have to check once I can play the game again.

In my opinion, the small ships are the best. My personal favourites are Sophie and the Interceptor, though I haven't played long enough to find e.q Greyhound or HMS Bounty, or ANY of those real historic ships listed in the first post.

You'll soon have some favourites, there's over 120 ships now and GOF (the new mod been worked on) has over 130.

So far these are my favorites:

Arabella (Peter Blood's Frigate)
Soliel Royal

And I hate these:

Shark
Black Pearl

I'll update the list as I get better looks at more ships.

The Arabella is unlikely to be topped in my list. I think it is the best ship in the game. Not only is it well rounded but also beautiful. It was good enough from the beginning, but after upgrading it no one can catch Captain Blood, and the ship can be used for all situations. I've sunk the Flying Dutchman, destroyed forts, and sacked towns solo in the Arabella.

To be fair, though, I've only been playing on Sailor. Blood is hard enough to start out as as it is. I'm playing a separate game as Nicholas van Hoorn on Captain level. That said, after reading about the real van Hoorn, that guy was about as notorious as it gets. I think I'll reflect that. The fictional Irishman Peter Blood, on the flip side, is much more suited to heroism, but certainly not marriage to some Spanish lady, nor peace with Spaniards. I think I'm going to start raiding them more... but trade with them is somewhat essential.

Well HMS Mordaunt is basically an improved Arabella model, with more details and more guns, check it out too!

@ Siadhal

A majority of the pirates got renamed after CM 2.0 I believe. A lot were given names of real pirates/privateers of the 16 and 17th centuries although there maybe a few from the 15th and 18th as well. I tried my best to keep 19th century personalities out since I felt that was way beyond the games time frame.

I'm pleased to see that you discovered this little known feature of the CM :onya

My all time favourites (up to today :D) are the Sophie (modified at the pirate island!) and the Mordaunt (He just look awesome!) If I may have a request, or a sugestion as a fan, it would be to put, on the new release, more ships from the 17th century... there's already plenty of ships from the 18th and even from the beginning of the 19th (wich is, as it had been said before, well beyond the game timeframe) plus... they look just cool!

Well, it was only a suggestion!

EDITED 09 June 11 MK

OK just for fun mates I am reposting the first post edited with my new favorite and unfavorite ships. The lists are still in rank order of precedence. Also some ships in this list are not in the CM mod, but in the upcoming GOF mod which hopefully should be ready to release in the next couple months. Just giving you something to look forward to other than the teaser screenshots Craiggo has been posting.

Tell us.... What are your favorites???

MK's TOP FORTY Favorite COAS CM/GOF mod Ships picks :will

Frederich Wilhelm zu Pferde (currently being worked on by Damski and imported from POTBS) :will

Dutch Line Ship (Yo Ho Ho)(original skin)
Poseidon (imported from POTBS)
Frigatte Berlin (pgargon)
Dutch Pinnace (pgargon)
Mordaunt (modified by pgargon)
Heavy Lineship (Wappen von Hamburg skin)(also Craiggo skins)
Raa Frigate (Imported from POTBS)
Merchant Brig (Pgargon)
Soliel Royal
La Couronne (pgargon)
Derflinger (pgargon)
Apostel Felipe (pgargon)
Spanish Battle Galleon (Super Chango)
Race built Galleon (4 masted English galleon built by Yo Ho Ho)
Greyhound (pgargon)
Sophie (pgargon)
Golden Hind/old AOP Large Galleon (with Craiggo's Spanish stripped texture only)
Neptune (imported from POTC) (Yo Ho Ho)
Heavy Batavia (with Craiggo's new Dutch East India texture only)
Nonsuch (pgargon)
Bellona (pgargon)
Caravella Redonda (pgargon)
Enterprize (Kazeite)
Interceptor (Kazeite)
Enterprize (pgargon)
Wicked Wench
Corvette (AOP stock)
Hannah_p (pgargon)
Pinnace2 (Light Pinnace) with Craiggo textures (Yo Ho Ho)
Heavy Brig (cross of St. George skin/Greyed skin and yellow skin)
War Galleon (Mordaunt skin)
Dutch Man o War (COAS Dutchman with refit and new fresh paint textures by Craiggo)
2nd Rate Lineship (craiggo skin)
Heavy Merchantman (Yo Ho Ho)(Craiggo skins)
Lineship3
La Licorne (Mordaunt skin)
Quest corvette (COAS)
Frigate (AOP stock)
Fluyt (AOP stock: blue)
Pinnace (AOP stock)
3rd Rate Lineship (Craiggo texture)
Heavy Lugger/ Lugger VML
Heavy and Light Galleons (AOP stock)
HMS Bounty (ZarethPL)

MK's Top TEN (+) worst COAS CM ships picks ***NOTE: Not many changes in my worst list other than the order, but I will say that even though I still don't like these ships, that with all the recent texture work by Craiggo, these ships look MUCH MUCH better now.

Heavy Ship of the Line/HMS Agamemnon (seriously: this one looks like it's made out of legos. It's not historical at all - still looks bad even with improved textures)
Nightmare
Salamander
Queen Anne's Revenge (removed for GOF: was the black textured carrack with the giant goofey shield on the side....Craiggo fixed it)
Black Angel (looks much better now with Craiggo's textures, but still not a favorite)
Bermuda Sloop
Pinnace of War (looks much better now with Craiggo's textures, but still not a favorite)
War Pinnace (looks much better now with Craiggo's textures, but still not a favorite)
Linearship
Mermaid Grief (this ship much lower on the list now that Craiggo has made it look so much better)
12 gun cutter

MK's Top Twenty (+) favorite REAL historic Ships picks with notes on which are in game....list rank order has changed.

Zeven Provincien 1665 (I can only wish and long for it. They are working on it as a community project over at POTBS, but who knows if it will actually see the light of day)
Hollandia
Frederich William zu Pferde (Soon to be in game - I hope I hope I hope)
Wappen von Hamburg (in game)
Prinz Willem 1649
HMS Prince 1670 (3rd rate lineship (also called Link)looks very much like her - with a little modification by a good modeler, she could look identical: missing windows)
Wasa
HMS Mordaunt (in game)
HMS Lenox
Brederode (Frederich zu Pferde looks very much like her: with some photoshop work on her stern decorations/picture, she could be close)
Aemelia (same comment as above)
Eendracht (same comment as above)
La Corounne (in game)
Batavia (Name in game, but model is not good representation of this ship)
Roter Lowe (Small AOP galleon remeniscent of this ship in game - with a new texture, it could look identical)
Sovereign of the Seas
Henry Grace a Dieu
Mary Rose
St. Louis
Santa Caterina do Monte Sanai
Jesus of Lubeck (Carrack with Craiggo skins reminiscent of this ship)

So what do you think.... :shrug

MK

I will make a list when i have gone through the ships but at the moment i am doing a playthrough captains log so i haven't seen many ships. The one ship i have seen and been onboard was the Heavy Barque and i didn't like it, the texture was good just the ship model was ugly. When i have a list i will post it though. :onya

I will make a list when i have gone through the ships but at the moment i am doing a playthrough captains log so i haven't seen many ships. The one ship i have seen and been onboard was the Heavy Barque and i didn't like it, the texture was good just the ship model was ugly. When i have a list i will post it though. :onya

You know Luke I agree with you, but with an exeptio firmat. I think it's an ugly little ship too. However, it looks as historical and authentic as ever. Craiggo's texture looks great on it. To me beauty and ugliness are subjective based on the person. There's a lot of people that like ugly things or have no eye for beauty. I have to split hairs though and say that you can't just generalize ugly or beautiful. I personally hold that there are a lot of different kinds of ugly, just like there's a lot of different kinds of beauty. There's differences between stupid ugly, toy ugly, godzilla fantasy ugly, and real ugly. The Heavy Barque is like a Citroen Duck, a 1962 Dodge Lancer, or a 64 Barracuda. I love those cars, but they're all REAL ugly. Real ugly is the only one that's forgivable and/or acceptable.

Unlike the the old POTC ships that were fixed or eliminated, the Heavy Ship of the Line/HMS Agamemnon (not the new one being worked on in the Storm forum), or this new fantasy QAR which are all stupid ugly, toy ugly AND godzilla fantasy ugly combined, the Heavy Barque is REAL ugly. Real ugly is OK in my book because it's believeable. It looks right - like it's in harmony with the universe and it's surroundings. It's ugly like an old guy walking out of the drug store, not a drag queen walking down the street. I think ships that are REAL ugly should stay in game. This is the same reason I wan't the POTC Flying Dutchman to only be a quest ship. It looks stupid ugly and godzilla fantasy ugly when it shows up in a ships encounter accompanying British Warships.

I am hoping to remedy that problem. I am still working on the nations encounters. Having a bit of fun with it actually.

MK

No i don't want to see any ships removed, some replaced yes like the current HMS Agamemnon which can be replaced by the new when/if its finished. I don't like the Heavy Barque because the ship i was using was much better, had i started with the Heavy Barque or captured her first before getting the Merchant Brig i might have had a different opinion of her. But i agree the textures Craiggo has done are amazing and do work well, the ships image is good, its the layout i don't like so much. But by no means should she be removed or replaced, we want historical ships and any ship no matter how ugly they are. If they are historical then they should never be thourght of been replaced in less a new model is made that is more historical looking of her, other than that no they shouldn't be replaced or removed.

I am more for having many ships ingame rather than swapping and changing all the time, having ships we don't like is good because its like a movie. The bad guy is made so that everyone hates them and wants to see them have some horrible end to their lives. But some people like to see how their story progresses and i am one that likes to see ships i dislike because if we only had ships everyone liked then it would be boring in many way's.

I agree that Bad (ugly) ships make the good (Awesome) ones all the more beautiful!
sailr.gif

More ships does mean larger download size though, which I think is something that should be decreases wherever possible.
You might want to consider taking the new textures in GoF 1.0 and re-converting them to TGA.TX with some of the compression enabled.
That should save a LOT of size in the modpack with close to no quality loss if done correctly.
I think the uncompressed textures and lack of using a batch file for copying identical files in the GoF installation process is why the installer file is the same size as the latest PotC Build Mod ones.
You should be able to get it quite a bit smaller.

On PotC, we're intending to do a cleanup of the ships, either improving the ugle ones or removing them.
Especially some of the re-rigged PotC stock game ships and the VCO ones really are hard on the eyes.

The textures in GoF are compressed to TGA.TX files. But remember there are 147 something ships with three hull textures each.
I cleaned up the TX files not to long ago in the ships folder. But I would really like to use a batch file for copying duplicates during installation but can such a process delete unwanted files as well?

My Favourite List:
Frigate
Line Frigate
Fast Battle Frigate
Bellona

Ships I'd like to see fixed:
Frigate (back wimdows are transparent :S)
Line Frigate (no crew on deck :S)

Hopefully MK or Craiggo could fix that while reworking the ships... i guess there some discrepances in the coding or otherwise the frigate would be as it used to be in previous mods :D

Keep up the great work^^

Personally, I love the fact that the modders added in PotC ships. But what I’m not happy with is the awful ship textures (no offence). Take the whydah (doesn’t even look like the whydah), it has a wood colour variant and it’s just awfully done, the lines don’t even sync up to the bow. The same can be said for the (my hated ships):

Dutch two decker (awful textures)
Neptune (disgusting and lazily designs, very cluttered)
Whydah
Man o War (the wooden colour variant I have no idea who thought that was a good texture)
Yacht ( complete disappointment, should have kept with potc textures)
Interceptor
Frigate
Ketch

Now enough of my rant, time for my favourite ships (prepare for little of it)

Surprise (Accessible gun decks and cabins)
40 gunned Galeon(same reason)
Battle Man o War (My favourite ship from PotC, modder almost ruined it because of the badly designed figure head and two weird things sticking out from the stern)

Once again, I’m not directing offence to anybody, I just feel that when porting ships over from PotC, keep the original textures as they are much better.

p.s. who made the wooden variant of the Man o War!?o_O

Back