• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Beta 2 issues

I'd give some error logging pieter but I'm sure it would be as useless as my last :/ i shall upload some more though

and no how do you set up Data Execution Prevention exception?

I'd give some error logging pieter but I'm sure it would be as useless as my last :/ i shall upload some more though

and no how do you set up Data Execution Prevention exception?

DEP is accessed by: For Win7 but I think it is the same for XP. Start---->control panel---->system---->advanced system settings---->systems properties---->advanced---->performance, settings---->Data Execution Prevention.

This gives you 2 options. The first one is easiest and the least safe. The second one makes you search your computer for the .exe for the program you want an exception for (POTC).

I have just downloaded and installed Beta 2.1 light and full.

Beta 2.1 light went on top of a working but unplayed Beta 2 install, and it works fine.

Beta 2.1 Full is a brand new install and I can confirm that it does NOT work. :modding I got no error report of any kind, so do not know where to start looking.

I suppose a Winmerge is the next step. I hope I know the error when I see it.

All that Wimerge showed in a comparison of beta 2.1 light and full is that one has some tga files that the other one does not. That would not crash it.

So, I went with my tried and true WAG System (Wild Ass Guess) and replaced the engine.exe and ET VOILA! it works. :j2

So here is a copy of my working POTC beta 2.1 full.exe. Unzip her in your POTC folder and see what happens. It is a 7zip file, so if you do not have 7zip you should get it. It is free.

Jason, does your game crash before reaching the Main Menu or not? It contains only a Standard storyline error, so I'd expect the problem to occur only after trying to start the Standard storyline.
Have you tried any other storyline? Have a look at that line that error.log refers to and post here what it contains.
For me, the line only refers to STORMY_START_CHOICES, which is defined just fine in InternalSettings.h and is no reason for the game not to work. :facepalm

I tried to replicate the problem, but for me the Standard storyline starts just fine and I did confirm that Beta 2.1 Full gives the same game version as I've got, so that doesn't make sense. :modding

Jason, does your game crash before reaching the Main Menu or not? It contains only a Standard storyline error, so I'd expect the problem to occur only after trying to start the Standard storyline.
Have you tried any other storyline? Have a look at that line that error.log refers to and post here what it contains.
For me, the line only refers to STORMY_START_CHOICES, which is defined just fine in InternalSettings.h and is no reason for the game not to work. :facepalm

I tried to replicate the problem, but for me the Standard storyline starts just fine and I did confirm that Beta 2.1 Full gives the same game version as I've got, so that doesn't make sense. :modding

I am in the standard story line and the crash occurrs at the start of the story line.

I downloaded 2.1 light if that makes any difference.

You did install the Light one on top of a previously-working Beta 2 install. Right?

What happens if you open up your POTC folder and double click directly on the .EXE to start the game?

the ENGINE.EXE? that's how I have been opening the game so it is the same issue, I honestly don't understand, beta 1 works fine, beta 2 seems to hate me :(

Sigh. I've been downloading and installing trying to get the same problems, and can not do it.

It is either a bad download or a hardware conflict. :shrug You could try reinstalling from the installers you already have. I get slightly different results every time like that. Also weekly defrag and optimization really helps.

Sorry to be so long in responding, Every game but the standard story line starts just fine. I did have a fully working 2.0 with fixes. As I noted in thread about the muskets there seemed to be a difference b/w the full and light version of Beta 2 with respect to that problem so maybe something got dropped b/w the two versions.

Sorry to be so long in responding, Every game but the standard story line starts just fine. I did have a fully working 2.0 with fixes. As I noted in thread about the muskets there seemed to be a difference b/w the full and light version of Beta 2 with respect to that problem so maybe something got dropped b/w the two versions.

To close the loop. I installed 2.1 full over my existing game and the standard story line starts just fine.

Jason says it, Nat Hawk runs like mad. Have like Gingerlad installed several times in all possible ways (vanila - Beta 14 2.0 verzy plus light patch or the full 2.1. Allowed myself the movie-soundpack as well) on a fresh Win Experiment. Now, if one remembers correctly goes all well even in 'Hoist the Colours' until you change some of the Advanced Game-settings. Okay, i thought, won't ask at the pub what has been occurring, when in such situation the game crashes. Doesn't really matter, just try to get the story a-rolling. The only thing, apart from that incredible ship, is that the hull full with 51 cwt of rum or around that area is not easy bargaining with. First halt Aruba there was no luck really, ahh, see for yerself. Hah, go to error beach. In the wake that geezer reprimands where you've been. Before continuing to Barbados with that other Dutch island on the plan i decide now on a return where it all starts and wait for ships in distress, get some jet- and flotsam while two following ships accompany us to ..let us think in a laid-back mood. The character setting will not be available when you prefer your own style of increasing defence first quickly. Or luck, will soon find a good fencer and activate Shared Experience. Chucka, met already with a band of unfortunate path-thieves. It seemed that one bullet made a short mess with two of'em. - So, let's get the show on the way.

So.....Hoist the Colors works until you mess with "advanced options"? I believe a new game is required for some of those things to work.

HtheC has been a pretty reliable quest and is popular. What hardware are you using and do you have error logging enabled?

At the right time, have namely been swinging around Curação for over an hour listening to a series of prog rock shows swapped with Sailing01 (the only somewhat slack piece) only then perceiving the merchant protected by me and trailing behind got somehow lost. From there to Barbados would have been a mere Tour Calamity de Italia...

..and i was pretty sure that with all approaches in solving issues the turn of setting one's prefs before a fresh start-off hadn't brought all of those to a screeching paddling boat full-stop. Rightio, my computer? let's rather talk about modern ice-breaking techniques.

(here you are: 64er Athlon 32oo+; nVidia 76ooGT, 256MB DDR3; Sata1 in a 0-Raid, lil quicker striping mode that and 3Gigs 4oo-er Rams Dual-Arrangement, 2x1G and 2x5ooM, ehmm ... The video-card runs on auto, fast, turbo! via Bios, what btw takes ages - got also best performances sussed there for Ram-settings as well as ultimate over-clocking resulting in a boost from 2.0 to 2.3GHz. Thing is, SotC is doin problematics then - later more? the Gigabyte de Luxe mainboard is scrape metal, you might like to know)

The other idea, scilicet error logging, you have spoken of treats the letter O-button probably, where you also get infos to the person in focus, correct or am I right? some other may change the console layout for that. .. is that easy to manage? you gonna hear from a mod-casting couch-chip never even ever have thought about it later when you think Now something has plunged a peninsula into that hold containing shifty roaches and a superior sly muskrat of some black market values, t' ta
user_comment.gif

Ok, somehow I had it in me head that you have a laptop. :wp So you are probably running older drivers and do need to turn down the AA & AF quite a bit. But POTC should run ok.

To enable error logging go into your ---POTC---->engine.ini. This is what the top part of mine looks like. I have never touched the nether regions. The first 2 lines are for setting your screen resolution.

The error logging enabling stuff is on the bottom. :drunk

modules path = modules\
full_screen = 1
screen_x = 1920
screen_y = 1080
lockable_back_buffer = 0
screen_bpp = D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8
texture_degradation = 0
;controls = pc_controls
controls = pcs_controls
program_directory = PROGRAM
run = seadogs.c
show_fps = 0
safe_render = 0
texture_log = 0
geometry_log = 0
;offclass = soundservice
mem_profile = memory.mp
startFontIniFile = resource\ini\fonts.ini
font = interface_normal
numoftips = 0
tracefilesoff = 0

[script]
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 0
;tracefiles = 1

..the first pc thrown together has been another XL-file, quite interesting in effect really...

a note into the cabin's floor, does everybody believe that.. 1oo1 x 1999 pints/mission is what? should be absolute comprehensible for all: set it to the screen's pixel-power resolution and good is. Notch? ey, got them 280plus nivea-drivers when Ati was still in hypernappin state of Canuckistan. But what might that completely unexpected info do when you add-it just like flat? sumphing stunning properly. Don't wanna clutter windows up full of papyrus snippets at large, e v e r y other program contrives this without anyone's know-abouts nor authorisation, iTunes' a wooden example, never mention that to Sindbad's shoulder blogitch, roffle. Actually should've scibbled some experiences on a piece of loose driftwood, me plonker. What you may get and where to load it up is totally another chapter, innit? so here you go, buzzing bean-hype. ... swapped the swap-piles bezewe onto another whopper, djinn phonics. *swaggering trapper-smay*, phffffhhh

Back