• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Beta 3, POTC has stopped working

JohnVrSo

Powder Monkey
Firstly, sorry for the double post. I posted this question in a thread about Beta 3 and then I realized there is a separate subforum for technical stuff. So anyway, let's get down to business. I installed Beta 3 on top of Beta 2.5 and I am now getting POTC has stopped working on startup. System.log tells me :
Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
Assert failed in C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\DX8RENDER\Technique.cpp line 1411, expression string dwSize!=0
Have I messed something up? :p

Ca you show also your compile.log and possible error.log? That may tell us a bit more.

When you installed Beta 3 on top of Beta 2.5, did you use also the Full archive or just the Update one?
You need the big Full one as well, otherwise it wouldn't work.

I did use the full archive as well as the update archive. Compile log was just one line and there was no error log... but i uninstalled everything so I could do a clean install of beta 3 on top of the original game. Lets see if that works

That works for me. Some people do have problems but we do not know why yet.
Indeed we never did find out. Hopefully some time we will so that people can ENJOY our work instead of being frustrated by the installation not working.
It's not that we're not trying to make it as good as it can be. But Windows Security Stupidity is not on our side. :facepalm

ok... after a clean install, I still get the error. The system.log is the same and the compile.log just says
Gauging: StartGauging

That isn't exactly a lot. What is the size of your game folder? Should be just under 10 GB if installed correctly.
Check if Windows says there are 62 items in your PROGRAM folder. I wonder if stuff is missing.

You could also try a clean reinstall without the update.
One other person here just couldn't make the update work for some bizarre reason as well. :modding

Size is 8,84 GB (9 501 898 186 bytes) and size on disk is 8,90 GB (9 558 867 968 bytes) and the program folder contains 2 588 Files, 139 Folders and 63 items

Ok... i solved the stopped working problem but now I get a runtime error.

error.log
COMPILE ERROR - file: sea_ai\sea.c; line: 146
function LanguageCloseFile(args:0) doesnt accept 1 arguments

system.log
Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
User Rised Exception
C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\ENGINE\SOURCES\Core.cpp line 526
fail to create program

Size is 8,84 GB (9 501 898 186 bytes) and size on disk is 8,90 GB (9 558 867 968 bytes) and the program folder contains 2 588 Files, 139 Folders and 63 items

There is a huge discrepancy in size between your install and a new one I just created to test PirateKK's changes.

Mine is: 9.8gb with 28,764 files, 1561 folders and zero items. Mine also seems to run fine so far. So, what are those 63 items?

These are the 63 items in the PROGRAM folder

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 179
error.log
COMPILE ERROR - file: sea_ai\sea.c; line: 146
function LanguageCloseFile(args:0) doesnt accept 1 arguments
I seem to remember someone else had that one too, but can't remember if that ever got solved.
Really makes no sense though. That function appears to be defined in PROGRAM\INTERFACE\utilite.c:
Code:
native string LanguageGetLanguage();
native int LanguageOpenFile(string sFileName);
native void LanguageCloseFile(int idLngFile); // <-- Right there
native string LanguageConvertString(int userLngFileID, string inStr);
native void LanguageSetLanguage(string sLanguageName);
native string XI_ConvertString(string inStr);
native int GlobalLngFileID();
native string LanguageGetFaderPic(string faderPicName);
But it is set up correctly there to use 1 argument. Can you open your version of that file and check that it looks the same? o_O

These are the 63 items in the PROGRAM folder
That looks fair enough. 1 file more than my own folder, but you've got a globals.bak that I don't have. So that matches up.

:facepalm

That is the contents of your Programs folder. What is in your POTC--->Programs folder?

If that were the problem, he'd be having a different error.log . This is what I get when I remove my PROGRAM folder:
Code:
COMPILE ERROR - file: no debug information; line: 1
file not found: seadogs.c

Provided the error log DOES have some sort of sense to it, I can see two options:
1. That utilite.c file is incorrect
2. Something in the MODULES folder is incorrect

Which is both really strange, because all those files are included in the modpack installer and therefore shouldn't possibly be missing.
But hey, we're talking about computers here. They're like "magic", right? :ninja

Back