• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Better contrast between active and inactive perks

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
About those checkmarks: Could the colors used for the boxes be changed to give more contrast between used and not used? I have a hard time telling which is which.

you mean the color between the gray ones and the colored ones? It could be done yes but it means I have to edit all those pictures, and I don't really feel up to that atm :p.

Oh, this reminds me: are you still using that image of a modern padlock for locked perks?
If so, might it be worth adapting one of the game's original lock icons (e.g. for locked doors) for consistency?

If someone wants to do it feel free :p.

Fine then. :p I was expecting to do it myself anyway.

I was about to say "this shouldn't take long", but then I found the folder containing all the perk textures with locks on. Was that really the best way to add a lock icon?

Yes that was the best way to do it :p.
It still shouldn't take that long.
Just convert all 64disabled to tga files. make a transparent layer with the lock image on it.
Paste it on all tga files
save them again and convert them back to the forbidden folder.

If you can overlay a tick mark on acquired perks, why couldn't the same be done with a separate lock icon for locked perks?
Failing that, why not just use a generic "locked perk" icon in place of the regular perk icons?

Sorry for questioning this; I just want to make sure there's no better alternative before I go ahead and edit a folder full of images. :wp

Because this way the locked icon can also be shown in the pop up screen for required perks etc so you can see which ones are locked but required.
There is a possebility to have an overlay, but it required multiple changes to the interface ini and I need to test it in both the brown and blue interfaces etc. while this was so much easier to do.

I don't know which programs you use but I used paintshop pro and was able to just do the command on the whole folder. this can be done with photoshop also as far as I know.

I first had a generic locked perk icon but people complained that was weird and confusing.

Because this way the locked icon can also be shown in the pop up screen for required perks etc so you can see which ones are locked but required.
There is a possebility to have an overlay, but it required multiple changes to the interface ini and I need to test it in both the brown and blue interfaces etc. while this was so much easier to do.
Ah, I see.

I first had a generic locked perk icon but people complained that was weird and confusing.
Fair enough, at least you tried that.

@Hylie Pistof: For your original question: would a different coloured tick mark help? Or are you saying the borders around the perk images are confusing because they're similar?

What hylie wants (I think) is more difference between the normal images and the disabled ones. I've been thinking about this also how to do this better.

If the borderline for disabled/forbidden was grey it would help.
Maybe the padlock not in color?
If the Perkname could be different somehow it would be even better.
The "cost" number to the right - can it be removed when you already have got the perk?

Attachments

• perks.jpg
    perks.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 152
If the borderline for disabled/forbidden was grey it would help.
Maybe the padlock not in color?
If the Perkname could be different somehow it would be even better.
The "cost" number to the right - can it be removed when you already have got the perk?

The last thing sounds like an idea, need to look into the code how easy it is to remove the cost number, but I think it can be done quite easy.
I was also thinking about adding something after the text when contributed or obtained

I've just finished changing the lock icon for all the perks. See below for an example, and attached for the TX files.
I found a plugin for GIMP which allowed me to add the lock as a 'watermark' to all the images at once.
AdvancedBattleState.jpg

I've also uploaded the lock icon itself with a transparent background, in case anyone wants/needs it for other purposes (or new perks).
lock_icon.png

Attachments

• NewLockedPerks.7z
    243.5 KB · Views: 138
@Armada you seem to have an older version of the game.
There are 3 new perks added recently. Could you maybe do those 3 also?

(Cooking, ImprovedPotions, DefensePoison)

Sorry, I'm still on Beta 3.4. That's why I asked if the padlock icon was still used.
If you could send me the three TX files, I'll update them for you.

Attachments

• 64Disable.zip
    21.9 KB · Views: 158
Thanks, here are the locked versions. They're almost completely obscured by the lock, though.

Attachments

• NewLockedPerksExtras.7z
    20.4 KB · Views: 149
Back